Let's talk Lights..

So I received the 5" LED light. It's supposed to be for motorcycles but I don't believe that at 5w, it's actually bright enough for a motorcycle. Anyway, it's bright enough for me on a bike. I haven't connected on the bike yet as I'm still waiting for a stepdown converter, this one. I connected it to a 12v power source so I can compare it with the Rad original headlight. Here's a couple of pics: 2016-07-11 17.49.14.jpg 2016-07-11 17.49.53.jpg. First is a side by side, and the second is top and bottom. It's not as focused as the original, but it's a much bigger spread of light.

Here's a couple of pics of it on my bike.
2016-07-11 22.29.29.jpg 2016-07-11 22.29.52.jpg

Basically, drilled a hole in the mount, and cut off a little bit of the metal, then use the original nut & bolt. Note that the light is not turned on in the pics, just looks that way. The wires are not even connected yet.

Edit: I found a smaller converter so I canceled the earlier mentioned one and ordered this one. It's smaller so easier to hide, and already black so I don't have to paint it.

Last edited:
@thatdude902 interesting way you went about it. give us a full report once you get it all connected, both short-term and long-term. i have to figure out a permanent light solution for my rad rover as well. espeically since it does 40 mph now haha!

@SpiderDice Haha. No. The BBSHD I installed pushed me over 40. The controller goes back to lunacycle. It was for a sensored motor, and our Bafang motors are sensorless.

I have the above light wired and working very well. Went through 3 different converter before getting one that's light enough and working. For the record, this one works and is light enough. Plus I trimmed it and painted it black. This one also works, but is bulky and heavy. And finally, this one didn't work, just flashed the light once when turned on, that's it. Not sure if I got a bad one of what, but would have save me some work (I had wired it in before testing, duh!).

Here's the (Link Removed - No Longer Exists), The bracket came slightly different from the pic, so I drilled a hole and grind away some metal & painted it. 2016-07-11 19.32.23.jpg 2016-07-12 19.06.34.jpg

I also made my own tabs for inserting into the stock wiring. 2016-07-13 09.33.20.jpg

The install is easy, 2 wires for 48V input & 2 wires for 12V output. Here it is soldered + heatshrink tube & ziptied. 2016-07-20 20.41.07.jpg 2016-07-20 20.41.56.jpg

I have the above light wired and working very well. Went through 3 different converter before getting one that's light enough and working. For the record, this one works and is light enough. Plus I trimmed it and painted it black. This one also works, but is bulky and heavy. And finally, this one didn't work, just flashed the light once when turned on, that's it. Not sure if I got a bad one of what, but would have save me some work (I had wired it in before testing, duh!).

Here's the (Link Removed - No Longer Exists), The bracket came slightly different from the pic, so I drilled a hole and grind away some metal & painted it. View attachment 7577 View attachment 7580

I also made my own tabs for inserting into the stock wiring. View attachment 7583

The install is easy, 2 wires for 48V input & 2 wires for 12V output. Here it is soldered + heatshrink tube & ziptied. View attachment 7586 View attachment 7589
Love that set up! Will have to implement it to the both of our bikes at some point. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Here's the (Link Removed - No Longer Exists), The bracket came slightly different from the pic, so I drilled a hole and grind away some metal & painted it. View attachment 7577 View attachment 7580

I also made my own tabs for inserting into the stock wiring. View attachment 7583

The install is easy, 2 wires for 48V input & 2 wires for 12V output. Here it is soldered + heatshrink tube & ziptied. View attachment 7586 View attachment 7589
We are also interested in the rear view mirror, if you could send that link. Right now we are using helmet mirrors and they are just ok. Would greatly appreciate it.

We are also interested in the rear view mirror, if you could send that link. Right now we are using helmet mirrors and they are just ok. Would greatly appreciate it.
It's this one.

Btw because it was brought up earlier, since it's this easy to convert to 12 volt from 48 volt stock, it should be easy to use any 12 v tail light. It's just a matter of running an extra wire.

Just added a tail light, why use AAA batteries when we have this giant battery there. Since 12 volt is available for me now, I just browsed some ebay motorcycle lights. I chose this one because the screws in the back fits exactly my Ibera IB-RA5 rack. The license plate holder comes off so I used just the light. On the bike, it looks like this: 2016-07-26 20.13.09.jpg. I have the wiring routed through the hole in the top tube. And I added a 3 way rocker switch so I can turn off the headlight and just use the tail light if I wanted to, in the process the 3 way switch allowed me to use the low & high beam in the headlight. Here's how it looks with tail light on only: 2016-07-26 20.17.00.jpg. Now with headlight on, it's hard to tell on camera the hi & low beam because my phone camera auto adjust to light condition, but it does make a difference, 3 watts vs 5 watts. 2016-07-26 20.17.30.jpg

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone else done this? I've been looking at headlight and brake/signal lights and absolutely love the headlight in this! Totally nails a retro motorcycle feel and that's exactly what I'm going for. I've never done any wiring before and although it sounds easy to do this, still a little worried lol. The brake light looks a lot cleaner than some of the more recent stuff I see people posting too, but am curious if anyone's found a good brake light with turn signals.

All-

I got an email reply back from Spanninga this morning. They let me know that our Micro FF can be replaced with stronger front lights that they offer, the Nomad and Kendo.

Links:
Kendo -http://www.spanninga.com/products/headlamps/kendo/

Nomad -http://www.spanninga.com/products/headlamps/nomad/

I really like the styling of the Kendo, but I'm going to go with the Nomad as it's rated at 40 lux (Micro FF is at 10 lux), has a USB port, and DRLs.

SpiderDice, did you end up getting the Nomad? If so, how do you like it and where did you end up buying it from?

Thanks!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone else done this? I've been looking at headlight and brake/signal lights and absolutely love the headlight in this! Totally nails a retro motorcycle feel and that's exactly what I'm going for. I've never done any wiring before and although it sounds easy to do this, still a little worried lol. The brake light looks a lot cleaner than some of the more recent stuff I see people posting too, but am curious if anyone's found a good brake light with turn signals.

That is a really cool looking light!

I don't ride at night usually but wanted a nice rear light anyway. I like a flashing light in the rear even during the day. Also nice to just have one on there in case I ever did ride at night.

Anyway just in case it helps anyone, I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXHDQLN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02
It is wireless and has turn signals. You do have to press the button when you stop to engage the brake light.

After using the turn signal you also have to hit the turn signal button again to turn the signal off. Of course the bike does not know when you turned. I just hit the brake light to turn the signal off.

That rear light also has laser lights that project on the ground creating you a virtual lane at night. Kind of cool.

My only concern running a huge front light like that off the main battery is how much would it reduce the main battery? If it takes a few miles off your trip that could matter.
Depends on how long you will ride I suppose. I would love to see a test of that. LED's do not drain a lot of course but they do drain.

FWIW this is my current front light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B7AMJ78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01. I have a review there.
I mounted it down on the fender where the stock light would go. I even used the stock clamp. Nice and bright light overall. review describes other things.

If you were talking about a more motorcycle looking approach, sorry. i:)i

Last edited:
So my current setup is a cygolight 850 lumen that I use mostly for a strobe function and "low beam" around town. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYGOLITE-ME...EW-/291939528400?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
But the most amazing light (for output and price) is my $10 ebay light, modified with a switch on the back and wired to the 48 volt battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
It is as bright (imho) as a car headlight, and does not impact the main battery at all, relatively speaking. Down a country road, or path, highbeam on, and no one would tell you it is not enough light, it lights up EVERYTHING. in the city or oncoming traffic, the cygolight is pretty dang good in and of itself. The strobe function during the day is worth carrying it around just for that. But it is plenty fine on its own at night. At the back I have a wired in Luna tailight, it turns on whenever the battery is turned on, and has come in handy to remind me to turn the battery off.
To top it off, I have one of these stuffed into the back of my helmet, flashing and VERY BRIGHT: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCPSQV3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We're close to wrapping up our plug-n-play e-bike headlight!

Final design is done. Just a matter of getting it manufactured. All aluminum housing in a retro style. Wide and bright output.

Our goal is Fall of this year :)

www.1859nw.com

What I like about my Niterider pro lights are some have a wired remote I can attach next to my left hand on the handlebars. I can quickly turn the light on/off, change the light output, or quickly switch to strobe mode for when I share the road with cars as easy as changing my gears.

Will the plug-n-play light have an remote to change light output (Hi/med/low/blinking) and on/off?

Niterider 3600.jpg

All-

I got an email reply back from Spanninga this morning. They let me know that our Micro FF can be replaced with stronger front lights that they offer, the Nomad and Kendo.

Links:
Kendo -http://www.spanninga.com/products/headlamps/kendo/

Nomad -http://www.spanninga.com/products/headlamps/nomad/

I really like the styling of the Kendo, but I'm going to go with the Nomad as it's rated at 40 lux (Micro FF is at 10 lux), has a USB port, and DRLs.

Did you ever get this light? How easy/hard is it to install? Plug and play?

Back