Let's design an inexpensive work stand for the XP

Just to throw out a thought. I have never worked on a bike in-depth so could someone tell me the big difference in working on a bike using a bike stand as opposed to working on it by turning it over and resting it on handlebar stands? I do realize that an in-depth bike service/assembly would require a bike stand, but wouldn't handlebar stands suffice for that simple adjustment or basic maintenance?

Just to throw out a thought. I have never worked on a bike in-depth so could someone tell me the big difference in working on a bike using a bike stand as opposed to working on it by turning it over and resting it on handlebar stands? I do realize that an in-depth bike service/assembly would require a bike stand, but wouldn't handlebar stands suffice for that simple adjustment or basic maintenance?

Handlebar stands will work fine...

Shifting through all of your gears in order to adjust & fine-tune the derailleur is not great when the bike is upside down & on the handlebar jacks, FWIW. Not difficult so much as bothersome.

The YaheeTech workstand arrived from Amazon today. I was searching for a stand in my post above on Aug 13 that would support my XP as well as our other non electric bikes. I think that this one will work well for $80. It supports up to 66 lbs so I removed the battery just to make the XP easier to mount. I am able to support the entire bike to run through the gears and adjust the brakes. However I think that for wheel removal I will position the stand to allow the wheel that I am not working on to be supported by the ground to improve stability. Overall I think that the Yaheetech workstand is a well engineered and built product and i am pleased with my purchase. Photos are attached.View attachment 62843View attachment 62844View attachment 62845
Thank you for posting. How compact is the stand when folded up?

Here is my Lectric XP Workbench. I designed it to enable me to work on the bike, without having to lift the bike up. The workbench is held together using only 4 wingnuts and 2 clevis pins.

Excellent design! More elaborate than the seat post idea but not to difficult to build. Not sure I can see any disadvantages in use from the seat post idea, and it appears to be more stable. The most important feature is there is no need to lift the bike!

Have you tried to remove the back wheel using the stand? Curious if the stand frame gets in the way or makes it difficult.

It is much easier to just turn the bike upside down, then trying to remove the wheel on the stand (at least for me). While it is possible to remove the wheel on the stand, I just turn it over by placing the bike on it's side (kick-stand side down), after placing Handlebar Jacks on. (https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ew-ultra-portable-bicycle-repair-stand.28180/). I place a towel, door mat, etc. next to the seat, then lift the bike up to rest on the Handlebar Jacks and the seat. I then lift the rear wheel using the rear rack and place a small 2 step stepladder under the rear rack. This raises the rear wheel up to a comfortable height. This method probably involves actually lifting no more than 30 pounds of unsupported bike weight.

It is much easier to just turn the bike upside down, then trying to remove the wheel on the stand (at least for me). While it is possible to remove the wheel on the stand, I just turn it over by placing the bike on it's side (kick-stand side down), after placing Handlebar Jacks on. (https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ew-ultra-portable-bicycle-repair-stand.28180/). I place a towel, door mat, etc. next to the seat, then lift the bike up to rest on the Handlebar Jacks and the seat. I then lift the rear wheel using the rear rack and place a small 2 step stepladder under the rear rack. This raises the rear wheel up to a comfortable height. This method probably involves actually lifting no more than 30 pounds of unsupported bike weight.
I prefer to work on the bike upside down using the handle bar jacks. It makes for the most stable scenario if the back is supported on the back rack (and not the seat). It puts everything right up where you want it. You don't even need the handle bar jacks. Foam blocks from shipping boxes work great too. See pic...via Jeremiah McInTosh video.

Lectric Xp E-Bike Freewheel Upgrade replacement Tutorial and differences - YouTube 8-31-2020 3...png

Last edited:
I prefer to work on the bike upside down using the handle bar jacks. It makes for the most stable scenario if the back is supported on the back rack (and not the seat). It puts everything right up where you want it. You don't even need the handle bar jacks. Foam blocks from shipping boxes work great too. See pic...via Jeremiah McInTosh video.

View attachment 64029

Yeah, I saw that video and thought the same. I was just curious about how the wooden stand would work for rear tire removal, but not a very good use case for it.

I recently changed out the freewheel on my bike using the stand I built on my hydraulic lift cart. It worked great and let me raise the bike to a comfortable working height. I’m thinking of adding a set screw to the seat post mount so it doesn’t allow the bike to rotate.

8B388A34-8EE2-4307-8C90-0DF367C29CEC.jpeg

Back