Lectric XP

Got this bike in oct 2019 and it works fine, but I feel like I spent way to much. I live in Canada and paid 899 USD plus 150 USD for shipping which equals 1300-1400 CAD. On top of that, fedex sent me an invoice for 234 CAD for taxes and duties. That’s almost 1700 CAD! I mean its a nice bike but damn. Has anyone in Canada spent this much or am I the only one and is it still worth it to you? Thanks!

Got this bike in oct 2019 and it works fine, but I feel like I spent way to much. I live in Canada and paid 899 USD plus 150 USD for shipping which equals 1300-1400 CAD. On top of that, fedex sent me an invoice for 234 CAD for taxes and duties. That’s almost 1700 CAD! I mean its a nice bike but damn. Has anyone in Canada spent this much or am I the only one and is it still worth it to you? Thanks!
That is the exact reason, when I had my business, we quit shipping our product into Canada. Dealing with the Canadian Govt import charges and red tape for the customers wasn't worth the bad publicity and hassle. Also our Canadian customers refusing orders after they saw the duty and taxes, then we had to pay the return shipping in addition to the customs brokers fee or they wouldn't release the product to be returned. In my experience Canadians have a couple of choices, pickup at a border receiving point, FedEx , UPS on the US side. Or start complaining loudly to the Canadian Parliament. NAFTA was NOT a favor for Canadian citizens or US businesses shipping into Canada. I can see it still hasn't changed in 20 years. The changes need to come from the Canadian Govt and their ridiculous charges to their citizens. Can you tell this is a sore subject with me, 😊 we lost money shipping into Canada. The Canadian Govt taxes were higher than our profit for manufacturing the product. It took months for Lectric to get approval from Canada to even ship the bikes there.....why? You paid $899 to Lectric for a bike. $384 or 43% of the cost of the product, in Canadian fees plus the difference in the value of the currency. The Canadian Parliament really needs to hear about this. Last conversation I had with a customs broker the fees were to pay for the "free" medical care in Canada.

Lots of post here of Canadians having the bikes held on the US side, then picking them up. One paid $55. tax to bring his across. One post was by Darceman and can be found in the search tab. Several other Canadians joined in with their experiences. Many waiting and waiting for Lectric to get the approval from Canada to ship across the border. If it wasn't so expensive and the paperwork so bad to cross the border with a US product, Canadians would probably have "free" shipping too.

Last edited:
I had the same thing with the DNP freewheel, at first I left the spacer on then had to take it off after looking at it and realizing the spacing was not quite right, took the spacer off and all was good.

I installed the DNP and did not remove any spacers. Which specific spacer are you referring to? Would you mind posting a picture and circling it or something so it's easy to see? Why did you feel the need to remove it? did you compare the width of the stock cassette with the new one and notice that the new one was not as wide or something? I don't remember running into any issues with this..

I installed the DNP and did not remove any spacers. Which specific spacer are you referring to? Would you mind posting a picture and circling it or something so it's easy to see? Why did you feel the need to remove it? did you compare the width of the stock cassette with the new one and notice that the new one was not as wide or something? I don't remember running into any issues with this..
When I installed it I was looking at it and noticed that there was too much space between the hub and cassette, luckily I have two of the bikes, so I looked at the one with the stock freewheel and it was much closer to the hub, and also the locking nut went to deep into the freewheel. When I get home I'll take a picture of the original freewheel and spacer, sorry it's all put together so I could not show a pic of the assembly.

When I installed it I was looking at it and noticed that there was too much space between the hub and cassette, luckily I have two of the bikes, so I looked at the one with the stock freewheel and it was much closer to the hub, and also the locking nut went to deep into the freewheel. When I get home I'll take a picture of the original freewheel and spacer, sorry it's all put together so I could not show a pic of the assembly.

Pics would be great OId Biker, thanks a bunch! From what I recall, mine was pretty tight, I did not have any excess space anywhere, and it was difficult to get the rear wheel re-mounted, but once I did, it seemed to ride fine...

If you live near the border you can use a US shipping address so that you only pay the going exchange rate, receive free shipping and pay at the most $50 per bike to bring it across.

That is the exact reason, when I had my business, we quit shipping our product into Canada. Dealing with the Canadian Govt import charges and red tape for the customers wasn't worth the bad publicity and hassle. Also our Canadian customers refusing orders after they saw the duty and taxes, then we had to pay the return shipping in addition to the customs brokers fee or they wouldn't release the product to be returned. In my experience Canadians have a couple of choices, pickup at a border receiving point, FedEx , UPS on the US side. Or start complaining loudly to the Canadian Parliament. NAFTA was NOT a favor for Canadian citizens or US businesses shipping into Canada. I can see it still hasn't changed in 20 years. The changes need to come from the Canadian Govt and their ridiculous charges to their citizens. Can you tell this is a sore subject with me, 😊 we lost money shipping into Canada. The Canadian Govt taxes were higher than our profit for manufacturing the product. It took months for Lectric to get approval from Canada to even ship the bikes there.....why? You paid $899 to Lectric for a bike. $384 or 43% of the cost of the product, in Canadian fees plus the difference in the value of the currency. The Canadian Parliament really needs to hear about this. Last conversation I had with a customs broker the fees were to pay for the "free" medical care in Canada.

Lots of post here of Canadians having the bikes held on the US side, then picking them up. One paid $55. tax to bring his across. One post was by Darceman and can be found in the search tab. Several other Canadians joined in with their experiences. Many waiting and waiting for Lectric to get the approval from Canada to ship across the border. If it wasn't so expensive and the paperwork so bad to cross the border with a US product, Canadians would probably have "free" shipping too.
  • #2,806
Yea it’s really ridiculous. 400 dollars just to get it down here?!? If I had known, I would’ve never bought the stupid thing. Never ordering outside of Canada again. But I guess I broke even because most competitors charge 1600-1900 for the bike itself.

• #2,806
Yea it’s really ridiculous. 400 dollars just to get it down here?!? If I had known, I would’ve never bought the stupid thing. Never ordering outside of Canada again. But I guess I broke even because most competitors charge 1600-1900 for the bike itself.
I would copy both your post and my answer and send them to your government representative. Believe me, US businesses hate the Canadian charges worse than you do. The $400 dollars were all charges to comply with Canadian rules and taxes. From what I was told, the next free Doctors appointment was not really free. If you purchased another brand of bike not manufactured in Canada, your import fees would have been higher as they are biased on the cost of goods. Many US companies will no longer ship into Canada for the negative publicity they receive and the hassle. People are mad at Canadian charges, but it is the product manufacture that take the rap, "I would’ve never bought the stupid thing" is a perfect example. Negative publicity will cost future sales in Canada for the product for those that do not live close to the border and can pick up on the US side.

Thanks for that.
Certainly disappointing results on mileage (even after a replacement battery) and brake pads.
Concerns me.
The battery I am annoyed for sure, but I do not go long distances just commuting, so I can keep it charged. The pads on the other hand does concern me, my bike guys said I should have gotten a lot more milage even if I were a heavy break user. I just hope my controler and motor are good. All does seem ok, but what the hell do I know? No way for me to test.

The battery I am annoyed for sure, but I do not go long distances just commuting, so I can keep it charged. The pads on the other hand does concern me, my bike guys said I should have gotten a lot more milage even if I were a heavy break user. I just hope my controler and motor are good. All does seem ok, but what the hell do I know? No way for me to test.
Wow, sounds like something is just not quite right, I have over three hundred miles on mine, and my rides are between 20 to 30+ miles and when I get home I still have about a third to half my battery power left.

Any chance these problems are related? I ask because you’ve got brake pads that are wearing far faster than expected and a bike with range far less than expected. Almost seems to me that the brakes are wearing fast because they’re dragging which would also shorten your range. Certainly something is not working as expected. I’ve got 240 miles on my XP since it was delivered 12/21. I’m averaging about 17.5 miles per ride and have over half a battery left each day. Which is to say, I’d likely be getting 34+ miles per charge. I’m only 175 lbs so that might change the distance, similar terrain and usage as you reported.

I wouldn’t think it would be two bad batteries or at least that seems unlikely. If not the brakes, perhaps something else? Is your battery outside in the cold? That might dampen the mileage you’re getting. From what I’ve read winter range and battery health is improved if the batteries are charged at room temp and stored at room temp before use.

Wow, sounds like something is just not quite right, I have over three hundred miles on mine, and my rides are between 20 to 30+ miles and when I get home I still have about a third to half my battery power left.
WOW! that is great distance. Lectric went over my setting once before with me everything is default. I wish my controler wasn't locked maybe I could have figured something out. Maybe I just have a lemon?

Any chance these problems are related? I ask because you’ve got brake pads that are wearing far faster than expected and a bike with range far less than expected. Almost seems to me that the brakes are wearing fast because they’re dragging which would also shorten your range. Certainly something is not working as expected. I’ve got 240 miles on my XP since it was delivered 12/21. I’m averaging about 17.5 miles per ride and have over half a battery left each day. Which is to say, I’d likely be getting 34+ miles per charge. I’m only 175 lbs so that might change the distance, similar terrain and usage as you reported.

I wouldn’t think it would be two bad batteries or at least that seems unlikely. If not the brakes, perhaps something else? Is your battery outside in the cold? That might dampen the mileage you’re getting. From what I’ve read winter range and battery health is improved if the batteries are charged at room temp and stored at room temp before use.
The breaks were not rubbing or dragging. I had them adjusted professionaly when I got the bike early Oct and had them checked once in the interim untill finally replacing 2 days ago. Everything mechanically is working perfectly.

Strange about the battery problem. We weigh the same, same PAS numbers, I also ride flat streets and I am getting 25-30 miles per charge with no problem and have always made it home without a dead battery.
Two batteries and still has the same problem? Wonder if it could be a controller problem? I got my bike at the end of July, one of the unlocked bikes and like you no problem getting at least 30 miles on a charge.

Strange about the battery problem. We weigh the same, same PAS numbers, I also ride flat streets and I am getting 25-30 miles per charge with no problem and have always made it home without a dead battery.
I think so. I am going to contact Lectric and see what they think.

Two batteries and still has the same problem? Wonder if it could be a controller problem? I got my bike at the end of July, one of the unlocked bikes and like you no problem getting at least 30 miles on a charge.
I was thinking the same thing. There has to be a reason beyond the battery(s). As for the brake pads, the video I see was in a downtown location. If there is a lot of traffic braking, I can see the brake pads wearing in a few hundred miles. The pads one inch square stopping 270 pounds. I see that Aliexpress sells the pads for $1.10 a pair, so the OEM quality is probably not that great. Easy to change, think I'll order a set to have on hand.

I was thinking the same thing. There has to be a reason beyond the battery(s). As for the brake pads, the video I see was in a downtown location. If there is a lot of traffic braking, I can see the brake pads wearing in a few hundred miles. The pads one inch square stopping 270 pounds. I see that Aliexpress sells the pads for $1.10 a pair, so the OEM quality is probably not that great. Easy to change, think I'll order a set to have on hand.
Upper west & upper east. I travel 4am then at 2-3 pm no traffic, like I said I do not use the breaks heavy, I drive it like a motorcycle or car, was never a heavy break user. I like to coast to a stop.

Back