Lectric XP

I would contact Lectric if the bike is still under warranty with that thing attached to it. I don't think that plastic reduction gears inside the motor will be happy about extra weight. Also if right now motor operates at max when going uphill what will happen to it with extra weight? What if you burn that motor because it can't handle the extra weight? Is the bike weight limits for that reason? Anyway I know nothing about it and if I was you I would ask people at Lectric.
Would you not think that if the bike is rated for such a high weight capacity that if you're not that heavy a person dragging something behind you on wheels wouldn't be that big a deal...personally I wouldn't be contacting Lectric and I wouldn't be worrying about it..

Would you not think that if the bike is rated for such a high weight capacity that if you're not that heavy a person dragging something behind you on wheels wouldn't be that big a deal...personally I wouldn't be contacting Lectric and I wouldn't be worrying about it..
Please let us know what lectric says.
Yes , there are 3 nylon gears inside the motor. Planetary gearbox.
I believe the reason why the gears are nylon is because metal or steel gears are extremely noisy...

So I am curious what the mileage is on the different XP bikes that are out there and who's got the highest....
How are they after so many kilometres or miles. I have 730 km or 453 miles so far tires barely worn at all no other real issues .. this is the mileage that is registering on the odometer which is obviously low LOL

I have seen many posts on the Facebook users group from people with trailers and attached bike tag-a-long for children and large dogs. If this small trailer is bad, there are going to be a lot of XP trashed by others with children and pets. Copy and paste from Lectric.
Weight Carrying Capacity:

Maximum rider weight: 275 lbs
Maximum load on rear rack: 55 lbs

Regarding the use of trailers here's my email to Lectric:

Hi,

I wanted to get a little clarification on the use of a cargo trailer with the XP.

Are there any implications or concerns from using one? Would this impact or invalidate the warranty? I understand there's a potential for motor burnout with overloading the bike and also wear and tear on the motor's plastic planetary gears inside the hub. I plan on using a trailer to haul groceries but staying within safe weight limits and pedaling to help the motor.

According to Lectric's FAQ:

"What's the weight limit?

The suggested max weight for the bike is 275 lbs and the rear rack is rated for 50 lbs."

Is the total max weight capacity 325 lbs?

According to the trailer manufacturer the trailer weighs 22.05 lbs and it's max load capacity is 88 lbs.

I weigh 200 lbs.

Here's Lectric's response:

Thanks for reaching out and we love your creativity with the bike! We have seen owners on our Facebook Owners page use similar trailers and have gotten great use out of it.

With regards to our warranty, our website states "any unauthorized alterations, tampering or repairs are not covered by this warranty". Unfortunately any damage caused to the bike due to this alteration would not be covered under warranty. Seeing your combined weight with yourself and the trailer, I would advise you to avoid placing the maximum weight of 88 lbs into the trailer while riding. Personally, I would avoid placing more than 50 lbs of items in the trailer while using the bike just to be safe.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,
Luke

Hi,

I wanted to get a little clarification on the use of a cargo trailer with the XP.

Are there any implications or concerns from using one? Would this impact or invalidate the warranty? I understand there's a potential for motor burnout with overloading the bike and also wear and tear on the motor's plastic planetary gears inside the hub. I plan on using a trailer to haul groceries but staying within safe weight limits and pedaling to help the motor.

The suggested max weight for the bike is 275 lbs and the rear rack is rated for 50 lbs."

According to the trailer manufacturer the trailer weighs 22.05 lbs and it's max load capacity is 88 lbs.

I weigh 200 lbs.

Thanks for reaching out and we love your creativity with the bike! We have seen owners on our Facebook Owners page use similar trailers and have gotten great use out of it.

With regards to our warranty, our website states "any unauthorized alterations, tampering or repairs are not covered by this warranty". Unfortunately any damage caused to the bike due to this alteration would not be covered under warranty. Seeing your combined weight with yourself and the trailer, I would advise you to avoid placing the maximum weight of 88 lbs into the trailer while riding. Personally, I would avoid placing more than 50 lbs of items in the trailer while using the bike just to be safe.

Best,
Luke
Good info to know... Now we all know. Thank you.

Hi,

I weigh 200 lbs.

Best,
Luke
Nice
Someone said he/she wouldn't contact lectric about this but you did the smart thing. Now you know no warranty if anything happens which sux and at least you know how much weight you can pull.

Nice
Someone said he/she wouldn't contact lectric about this but you did the smart thing. Now you know no warranty if anything happens which sux and at least you know how much weight you can pull.
Your right... In hindsight it's better to know in advance.
😃

I haven't been able to ride mine for a week. Right after my initial first couple rides, I hurt my elbow working out in my shed and have limited use of it. I can't even get my bike open to pull my controller out to send it in yet. Hoping it will be well enough to get that done soon. Its been hot here in the south. We set three records in the past two days for heat. 98 degrees and we are in October! Insane!
Hi, Did they fix your controller quickly & return?

Your right... In hindsight it's better to know in advance.
😃
I worry about what Lectric said, sounds like they may have voided the warranty through self admission. I hope I am wrong. "Unfortunately any damage caused to the bike due to this alteration would not be covered under warranty."

I worry about what Lectric said, sounds like they may have voided the warranty through self admission. I hope I am wrong. "Unfortunately any damage caused to the bike due to this alteration would not be covered under warranty."
This leads me to wonder what an "alteration" is. Many people here have made all kinds of alterations to their XP, everything from saddles to freewheels. Does this mean if you ride anything other than the stock XP, you have voided your warranty? And how would Lectric know that it was any specific alteration that caused the damage?

This leads me to wonder what an "alteration" is. Many people here have made all kinds of alterations to their XP, everything from saddles to freewheels. Does this mean if you ride anything other than the stock XP, you have voided your warranty? And how would Lectric know that it was any specific alteration that caused the damage?
According to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act changing for like stock items will not void a warranty. However altering something that could easily change the weight load capacity causing damage and admitting it up front could be a problem if the motor burnt out while under warranty. By the warranty act, changing a seat or hand grips, etc will not voild a warranty. They are also normal wear items as could a gear set if sand ruined it.

Just curious have you checked the alignment of the rear wheel maybe it's not sitting in the dropouts properly

Yes, sitting in dropouts properly.

Thank you for confirming BroBox, that makes 3 bikes with this issue, outside of my 2. Total of 5. I guarantee there are more if you all check.

Just curious have you checked the alignment of the rear wheel maybe it's not sitting in the dropouts properly
There are axle torque brackets on both sides that will only go in one way. If the axle is not seated the brackets cannot be put back on, the screw holes will not line up. Been there. 😂

There are axle torque brackets on both sides that will only go in one way. If the axle is not seated the brackets cannot be put back on, the screw holes will not line up. Been there. 😂
The reason I asked is one of the other members Kimbo his axle was in crooked

Back