Lectric XP

Well, I don't know if that's the actual reason they locked them. I just assumed it was because there is no actual real reason to lock all those settings (except maybe low voltage cutoff but they could have just set a low voltage minimum that you couldn't pass) because the rest does not actually affect bicycle integrity or safety, as they apparently are claiming. I am seriously thinking about asking for it to be returned and for a refund.

Oh just fyi, Mine is black.
Im pretty sure it has to do with insurance. Insurance companies dictate what products they will cover a company for. Brent even mentioned insurance in his repley email.

being new to electric bikes, I dont know anything about controllers or displays. After owning a Chinese motorcycle i learned that many of the parts were exactly the same as on other bikes despite the manufacturer. I would be willing to bet the controller and screen are used on other bikes as well. I dont know where or how the lockout is done (in the display or controller). Is it reversible? Could a replacement be bought that does not have the lockouts?

Tommy, do you happen to know if the battery from your XP eBike will fit in your bag that is on the bike in your photo by your name? If it can, do you know if your bag is a 10L or 13L Rosewheel bag?
No the battery is much longer than the bag on my Rad. I checked allready as i dont care for the saddle bags they sent

being new to electric bikes, I dont know anything about controllers or displays. After owning a Chinese motorcycle i learned that many of the parts were exactly the same as on other bikes despite the manufacturer. I would be willing to bet the controller and screen are used on other bikes as well. I dont know where or how the lockout is done (in the display or controller). Is it reversible? Could a replacement be bought that does not have the lockouts?
Yes that what i keep saying as well...Just a minor issue blown up...

I don't think anyone has said it was a bad bike. You do get a lot for the price. Its the principle of what they have done here that is the concern. They already had a precedent that all the settings could be changed and then they intentionally locked them out and didn't let anyone know they were making this change. It is a very significant change to the bicycle. Think about it like this. You buy a car. Maybe you didn't buy it specifically for say cruise control but you knew it had it from previous sales. You think great, Its a feature I really want to use. You buy it, get it home then find out the manufacturer said sure its there but no, we don't want you to have it. In fact, we changed it quietly so nobody would notice. Or let's go simple. You buy a car not because it has cup holders but you know you really want to use that cup holder thats there. Then your car gets delivered and they covered the cup holder with a lock. Sure its there, but you cant use it. That is not the car you originally thought you were buying. I don't like the term bait and switch because it's often misused. This is not that but I do consider it shady business practices to lockout almost 75% of the settings the bike comes with and not mention it to anyone.

This reminds me of Tesla vehicles. All their Autopilot hardware is already built into the vehicle but they lock the feature(s) out through software. You have to pay for it to be unlocked and usable. That's one way to make money.

I also wonder where the change was made. Is the lock done by changing the controller, or through software? This is getting interesting.

I got to go on my first ride yesterday, and maybe this is normal, but I'd like to get your thoughts. As I pedaled, with any of the PAS levels, it didn't feel like I was doing anything. I felt no resistance. The PAS was simply reacting to the fact that I was pedaling, but that I didn't contribute. Is that right? Is that how it works? This is my first eBike, so I didn't know exactly what to expect.
Hi i dont know how long you have been following this thread but pages and pages ago we covered the problem with a bent derraileur guard. Put your gear selector in 7 and pedal the bike. Now check if the chain is on smallest cog(nearest the frame), if not, grab ahold of the derraileur guard and pull it away from derraileur until bike will cycle through all gears. Hope this helps

while I can understand your point, and I'm not pleased about it either. (mostly the odometer) I will to be willing to bet someone will come up with a "fix".
I don't ever remember lectric advertising the controller as being able to programable before I paid for my bike.

To you but not to me and yes bike is going back if they wont replace controller for one i paid for.

So far the only setting I have used in 3 weeks was the tire size on one of the 2 bikes. It's no big deal and I won't even change it on the other bike. The others outside of 28 mph, as you said are really no big deal.

Im pretty sure it has to do with insurance. Insurance companies dictate what products they will cover a company for. Brent even mentioned insurance in his repley email.

I do partially buy that notion. However, from what I read of all the settings, only 1 setting that I could see, could be insurance-related and that's the low voltage cutoff. You dont want people running their battery so low that it catches on fire. Everything else I saw if abused could only produce a few extra miles per hour. They already have the main speed limit set to no more than 28mph. Besides, if this was truly an insurance thing, they would have had those settings locked out from the very first bicycle. That would mean they already have thousands of liabilities out there and I just don't buy that excuse.

Minor, To a point, yes. These are settings you are probably going to change once and leave it. but the changes can produce a much better overall more enjoyable experience for the rider. This in my opinion, is a huge ethical issue. These settings were deliberately locked and the people not notified about it, AFTER you had already paid for the bike. My money was withdrawn the day I purchased the bike, not after delivery. If I had known the settings would be locked, I would not have bought the bicycle even at the great deal it was.

Totally agree! I have a minor problem I am trying to work out. Instead of bitching, I stopped at Harbor Freight today to purchase a set of "T" handle metric wrenches to tackle the adjustment easier. At $899. not much room for complaining, watch Youtube and fix it. 😊 If I can't figure the problem out, I'll post it here and maybe someone will have the answer. It is just the rear brake cable I can't keep seated. It keeps popping out of the adjuster. It's got to be something simple I'm not seeing.
I found my simple problem if it will help someone else. The wiring harness got flipped on the wrong side of the headlight putting excessive tension on the brake cable when the bike was unfolded. , then folded back open. At least my brakes are adjusted and readjusted perfect now. 😁 If you fold your bike for travel, make sure the cable goes back the way it was before being folded.

Minor, To a point, yes. These are settings you are probably going to change once and leave it. but the changes can produce a much better overall more enjoyable experience for the rider. This in my opinion, is a huge ethical issue. These settings were deliberately locked and the people not notified about it, AFTER you had already paid for the bike. My money was withdrawn the day I purchased the bike, not after delivery. If I had known the settings would be locked, I would not have bought the bicycle even at the great deal it was.
I cancelled one of my bikes and money was back on my cc in 2 days, just saying. If your thinking about it cancel before it ships. They state on their website they reserve the right to not accept returns, you have to pay shipping and you may incur a restocking fee.

I found my simple problem if it will help someone else. The wiring harness got flipped on the wrong side of the headlight putting excessive tension on the brake cable when the bike was unfolded. , then folded back open. At least my brakes are adjusted and readjusted perfect now. 😁 If you fold your bike for travel, make sure the cable goes back the way it was before being folded.

Yep, thats the way mine came. The wiring harness on the wrong side of the headlight. Oddly it was the first thing I noticed when unfolding the bike.

Just in from comparing the speedo with my GPS. It stayed within a decimal point at around 20 mph. I was kinda expecting it to be off an amount similar to the odometer but it was not. If I were to change tire size setting the speedo reading would change. I cant see being able to alter one without it affecting the other. Plain and simple the distance measuring part of the display is faulty.

I do partially buy that notion. However, from what I read of all the settings, only 1 setting that I could see, could be insurance-related and that's the low voltage cutoff. You dont want people running their battery so low that it catches on fire. Everything else I saw if abused could only produce a few extra miles per hour. They already have the main speed limit set to no more than 28mph. Besides, if this was truly an insurance thing, they would have had those settings locked out from the very first bicycle. That would mean they already have thousands of liabilities out there and I just don't buy that excuse.
Thats over 3500 bikes sold
If that was insurance then settings would be lock on bike number 1 shipped to the costumer.
I think they got too many calls from people messing their settings up .
No time to sit on the phone when you need to create labels for bikes to be shipped so easiest fix is to lock the settings and problem is gone.

I cancelled one of my bikes and money was back on my cc in 2 days, just saying. If your thinking about it cancel before it ships. They state on their website they reserve the right to not accept returns, you have to pay shipping and you may incur a restocking fee.

I'm still waiting for them to answer my question. Their answer determines my next step. Unfortunately, I already received the bike or I would have canceled the order. If they want to refuse taking it back, anyone in the charlotte NC area want to buy a so very lightly used Lectric XP?

If that was insurance then settings would be lock on bike number 1 shipped to the costumer.
I think they got too many calls from people messing their settings up .
No time to sit on the phone when you need to create labels for bikes to be shipped so easiest fix is to lock the settings and problem is gone.
Not to let them off the hook, but do keep in mind these are two young guys. Throughout this whole experience they have been flying by the seat of their pants and making adjustments as they go along. You're not working with an established company here with many years of experience. At some point someone may have suggested to them to CYA concerning settings, and they did so. When I had my Rad Mini there were not many settings I could change there either. Don't have my XP yet, so can't contribute beyond this. I do suspect some hacker will eventually solve this issue, which happened with the Rad Rover.

Back