Lectric XP

Would anyone happen to remember seeing a post on the XP Bikes forum that had where someone had used a grill cover as a cover used to cover two XP bikes? I remember that the cover had a zipper and the cover was made out of 600 denier fabric.

I have not had this issue. I thought peddles were self tighting while peddling? Why use lock tight?
Have to agree, they should be tightening as you peddle, but there is no denying when it happened to me and my cousin on a ride, every few miles we would have to stop and retighten the peddles again, and I've ridden bikes for 50+ years and never had this problem before. Thank goodness for blue loctite.

So around late November I believe, possibly early December, I put my wife's and my XP's down into the basement for winter storage. Each bike had a full charge at the time of storage. I actually pulled my battery out, as I was originally thinking of leaving my bike in the garage, just keeping the battery inside in the winter, but ended up bringing both bikes down to the basement regardless.

So I have given my battery a charge since then, outside of the bike. I have not touched my wife's XP, which still has the battery inside the bike.

Are there any negative implications for the battery when it is stored for this long un-used? (likely getting a lot more use near the end of March/beginning of April for the first time this year)

My Basement stays around 60 degrees all winter long. Would it be better to pull both batteries and put them up inside my home instead of the basement?

Just looking for some preventive advice on the long term battery storage so my power doesn't get impacted when It's time to ride again. Thanks!

It’s definitely recommended to NOT store the batteries at 100%. Batteries should be stored at 50 to 60%. If possible get your bikes out for a short ride and reduce their current level of 100%. Storing in 60 degrees is fine, just get that level down. That’s one of the worst things you can do. The other thing to avoid is charging your battery when it is cold. NEVER charge a cold battery. Battery should be “room temperature”... I’d say 55 to 80 degrees for charging.

It’s definitely recommended to NOT store the batteries at 100%. Batteries should be stored at 50 to 60%. If possible get your bikes out for a short ride and reduce their current level of 100%. Storing in 60 degrees is fine, just get that level down. That’s one of the worst things you can do. The other thing to avoid is charging your battery when it is cold. NEVER charge a cold battery. Battery should be “room temperature”... I’d say 55 to 80 degrees for charging.

Yeah, I do remember reading that prior to storage, just can't 100% remember what I did, there is a good chance that I rode a little and then stored them. Argh! Well, now it's obvious that they need to come out for a nice ride soon and then go back into storage. My lord I miss riding my XP!!!!

My lord I miss riding my XP!!!!
Get out and ride it! I didn’t order till December and got it on the 22. We’ve had nice weather in Missouri but even in the cold I ride. I think the key to enjoying winter cycling is just the right clothes. Layer up a bit and you’ll come back plenty warm. Protect your face as much as you can and wear two pairs of gloves. I’ve been cycling down to 20 degrees F with no problem. I’m peddling 100% of the time. Would be much colder to just use the throttle. And if your bike is coming out of the basement at 60 degrees your range is almost normal. I’ve been doing 20 mile rides with 30% or more battery left after the ride

Get out and ride it! I didn’t order till December and got it on the 22. We’ve had nice weather in Missouri but even in the cold I ride. I think the key to enjoying winter cycling is just the right clothes. Layer up a bit and you’ll come back plenty warm. Protect your face as much as you can and wear two pairs of gloves. I’ve been cycling down to 20 degrees F with no problem. I’m peddling 100% of the time. Would be much colder to just use the throttle. And if your bike is coming out of the basement at 60 degrees your range is almost normal. I’ve been doing 20 mile rides with 30% or more battery left after the ride

You are right! I have been quite busy lately and rather than the temperature, it's the darkness plus cold that has kept me inside. By this time of year I have normally gone out about 3-4 times on my nice 10 mile bike path ride and this winter has been incredibly light for us here up in Massachusetts. I have no excuses!

So I just installed my 11-34 flywheel today. So far I'm loving it!

Having that 11 tooth high gear is very nice. It basically adds about another 4-5 mph to my top end. On my original gear when pedaling pretty fast (about as fast as you want to pedal for any extended time) I would top out about 20-22 mph.

With the new flywheel, it's pretty comfortable cruising about 24-26 without pedaling like crazy.

The extra speed is perfect...

I haven't really done much with the lower speed 34 tooth gear yet. But I assume it'll come in handy for steep hills. I like the expanded range of both high and low ends.

Was pretty easy to swap the flywheel too.

So I just installed my 11-34 flywheel today. So far I'm loving it!

Having that 11 tooth high gear is very nice. It basically adds about another 4-5 mph to my top end. On my original gear when pedaling pretty fast (about as fast as you want to pedal for any extended time) I would top out about 20-22 mph.

With the new flywheel, it's pretty comfortable cruising about 24-26 without pedaling like crazy.

The extra speed is perfect...

I haven't really done much with the lower speed 34 tooth gear yet. But I assume it'll come in handy for steep hills. I like the expanded range of both high and low ends.

Was pretty easy to swap the flywheel too.
I put the 11 to 28 tooth on mine (no big hills here)l. So excited I finally get to try it out today sense the weather up north here will be in the 40s today. I also took off the twist throttle and installed a thumb throttle, replaced the stock tires with Kendra Kraze tires, and new Ergon GP1 grips.

You rock! I used your post as motivation and yanked both bikes out this past Saturday. It was in the low 40's and sunny, so perfect for a nice ride. Took my son down the bike path, around town and stopped by CVS to get my prescription. Put the bikes away just like that after their legs were stretched, so now they are both around half charge. Better to leave them like this and not charge till I want to use again?

I think during the fall, I only let my 13 year old son ride around the school parking lot, and that was pretty much it, because all the other times my wife wanted to ride with me.

So Saturday was his very first unfettered freedom on this bike on the bike path. He weighs about 110 I think, and I weigh in at a solid 280. While he was using twist throttle, I had to pedal as fast as I could in PAS5 just to keep up with him! AHhhhhh the weight factor. It was really interesting to experience.

After our ride was over, he said to me "Dad, there's really NOTHING like that feeling in the entire world, it's just so amazing I want to keep doing it over and over again forever!"

I think during the fall, I only let my 13 year old son ride around the school parking lot, and that was pretty much it, because all the other times my wife wanted to ride with me.

So Saturday was his very first unfettered freedom on this bike on the bike path. He weighs about 110 I think, and I weigh in at a solid 280. While he was using twist throttle, I had to pedal as fast as I could in PAS5 just to keep up with him! AHhhhhh the weight factor. It was really interesting to experience.

After our ride was over, he said to me "Dad, there's really NOTHING like that feeling in the entire world, it's just so amazing I want to keep doing it over and over again forever!"
Like hitting a solid 2 iron, never gets old.

I am planning to purchase this bike for delivery in April 2020. The bike is priced at $899 + $200 (Lectric XP White). How is the bike and its performance (in particular the speed).

I have used a number of ebikes in the past (emmo, stromer, amego, volt, mando). Just want to know more about this bike from people who have purchased and used it for a while. Does it hold well during Winter?

Appreciate your response.

Ram - Toronto - Canada (Temp -15 today)

Last edited:
I am planning to purchase this bike for delivery in April 2020. The bike is priced at $899 + $200 (Lectric XP White). How is the bike and its performance (in particular the speed).

I have used a number of ebikes in the past (emmo, stromer, amego, volt, mando). Just want to know more about this bike from people who have purchased and used it for a while. Does it hold well during Winter?

Appreciate your response.

Ram - Toronto - Canada (Temp -15 today)
As for speed, I'm 200lbs and can comfortably ride at 20-22 mph in the fastest gear and pas5 for an extended time (i.e. commuting). I can go faster...as fast as 26 if I pedal like crazy but no way I could maintain that speed for longer than a minute or two. This is all with the stock flywheel.

I wanted just a little faster speed, so I upgraded the flywhy from a 14-28T to a 11-34T flywheel. So far I'm loving that upgrade. Fairly cheap...20-30 bucks. Now my comfortable cruising speed is 24-26 (opposed to 20-22 on stock). My temporary high speed is now 30mph (opposed to 26 on stock), but again, I can't maintain that speed.

Thanks Bob for the input. I will have to see how to incorporate flywheel the way you have it. Might have to get it done at a shop. Yes the price is in the range you listed.

I am going to place the order this month for delivery in mid April.

Thanks Bob for the input. I will have to see how to incorporate flywheel the way you have it. Might have to get it done at a shop. Yes the price is in the range you listed.

I am going to place the order this month for delivery in mid April.
I was actually quite surprised how easy the flywheel was to swap.

If you are comfortable removing your rear wheel to fix a flat tire, you are more than capable of swapping the flywheel. It actually takes less time than a flat repair.

1. Remove rear tire
2. Unscrew flywheel (just need the correct tool)
3. Remove an existing spacer behind original flywheel (at least with the flywheel I got, you don't need the spacer to keep things spaced correctly).
4. Screw on new flywheel
5. Put tire back on

And that's it.

Mine actually took slightly longer because I tried to remove two extra spacer washers that are between the frame and wheel assembly. I wanted to remove them because the wheel assembly fits perfectly without having to torque the frame. But after getting it back together I realized why Electric put the extra spacers in there. The rear disc brake won't fit the disc properly without that extra spacer. So I ended up putting one side of the spacer back in (on the brake side) so the brake would fit properly. But having removed the spacer on the flywheel side, I had to readjust my rear derailleur.

Long story short, just keep all the washers/spacers in there and it will be as simple as the steps above. You'll just need to pry/spread the frame a little to get the wheel back on. But if you pry in a good spot, that's actually quite easy (on brake side, pry between frame and wheel hub).

Here is the flywheel I got (it's actually a DNP brand even though they don't advertise it on the listing). You can choose between 11-34T and 11-28T depending if you want the lower gear as well as the higher one...or just the higher...

#Aliexpress US $20.59 24%OFF | DRIFT MANIAC Bicycle 7S Freewheel 11-28T/11-34T 7-Speeds Flywheel For Electric Bike

Here is the tool from the same place, I just got both in the same shipment:
#Aliexpress US $16.38 | Mountain Road Bike Repair Tool Kits Bicycle Chain Cutter/Bracket Remover/Cassette Freewheel Remover /Crank Puller Remover Tools

Thanks Bob. Will order one soon. I don't expect the bike delivered before Mid April. They are expecting the shipment in April from China. I believe the bike is MADE IN CHINA - sold in UNITED STATES.

Back