Lectric XP and Neck Pain

info4johng

I have had my Lectric XP now for 3 weeks and have about 150 miles on it so far. I typically ride 5 miles around trip to the Gym every morning plus other rides.

After the first week I noticed that my neck was sore. After thinking about it I thought that I ride faster on the XP than my petal crossover and the lack of suspension is driving the load into my head/neck and causing the problem. Five changes have eliminated the neck pain:

1. Added the Lectric XP suspension seat post.
2. Changed to stock seat to a more comfortable seat; Bikeroo Bike Seat with memory foam from Amazon
3. Raised the handlebars to allow for a more upright riding position
4. Slow down for bumps
5. Reduced the tire pressure to 20 psi

John

Last edited:
I have had my Lectric XP now for 3 weeks and have about 150 miles on it so far. I typically ride 5 miles around trip to the Gym every morning plus other rides.

After the first week I noticed that my neck was sore. After thinking about it I thought that I ride faster on the XP than my petal crossover and the lack of suspension is driving the load into my head/neck and causing the problem. Four changes have eliminated the neck pain:

2. Changed to stock seat to a more comfortable seat; Bikeroo Bike Seat with memory foam from Amazon
4. Slow down for bumps

John
Do you really think the suspension post is worth it?

After the first week I noticed that my neck was sore. After thinking about it I thought that I ride faster on the XP than my petal crossover and the lack of suspension is driving the load into my head/neck and causing the problem. Four changes have eliminated the neck pain:

4. Slow down for bumps

John
I'm curious..what is your height, and what number did you set the handlebar height to?

Do you really think the suspension post is worth it?

Yes, I do think that the suspension seat post was worth it; no more neck soreness. I do see that Amazon has similar products at about half the price of Lectric but I did not want to take chance so I bought from Lectric; ~ $96 delivered.

The posture thing was one of my main motivators for getting some long 'ape hanger' style handlebars. With these handlebars installed my grips end up being set back about 9" towards the rider, compared to where they were positioned on the flat handlebars, which makes a significant difference in how much I have to lean forward to reach the grips, allowing me to sit up much straighter & center my weight above the seat rather than putting all that stress & weight on the back, shoulders and neck.

FYI I had to split & re-tie all the cabling to make it work, and the handlebar section practically doesn't fold anymore with these large handlebars (though someone who cared might be able to solve that issue with better cabling). I certainly wouldn't want to try anything longer than a 9" rise, for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:
I truly agree that maintaining a straight posture in you back and neck is an important part of protecting your neck; and the new handlebars would promote that. I guess went for the easy fix of a suspension seat post and raising the handlebars instead of dealing with a handlebar swap.

The posture thing was one of my main motivators for getting some long 'ape hanger' style handlebars. With these handlebars installed my grips end up being set back about 9" towards the rider, compared to where they were positioned on the flat handlebars, which makes a significant difference in how much I have to lean forward to reach the grips, allowing me to sit up much straighter & center my weight above the seat rather than putting all that stress & weight on the back, shoulders and neck.

FYI I had to split & re-tie all the cabling to make it work, and the handlebar section practically doesn't fold anymore with these large handlebars (though someone who cared might be able to solve that issue with better cabling). I certainly wouldn't want to try anything longer than a 9" rise, for whatever that is worth.

Its interesting during my research on this eBike and its competitors..is that the "reach" (distance from the rider to hand grips) on this XP model is larger than just about anybody else's design. That was a concern for me and it should be for others who are buying these for shorter folks. Yes, you can slide the seat about an inch...but that doesn't make any difference. The seat position is odd on this bike too. Its hard to get the proper peddle stroke unless you really jack up the seat much higher than you'd expect that you would have to. This eBike frankly is best suited to throttle only for a majority of riders because of these issues,

Its interesting during my research on this eBike and its competitors..is that the "reach" (distance from the rider to hand grips) on this XP model is larger than just about anybody else's design. That was a concern for me and it should be for others who are buying these for shorter folks. Yes, you can slide the seat about an inch...but that doesn't make any difference. The seat position is odd on this bike too. Its hard to get the proper peddle stroke unless you really jack up the seat much higher than you'd expect that you would have to. This eBike frankly is best suited to throttle only for a majority of riders because of these issues,
Im gonna disagree..you might be giving the wrong idea here. I ride my Lectric with out power at least 25 percent of the time . I have over 2600 km on it and never use the throttle ever. I changed the bars to a wider bar and installed the sun tour seat post. Really comfortable. The seat can be moved forward and back and does make a difference, small adjustments make a big difference. . I have bought 4 of these bikes for 4 very different size people and none of us feel that this is a throttle only bike. All of us are different sizes and shapes. I'm near six feet, girlfriend is five feet two. I changed the bars for her and with a rise to give more pull back and no issue. You are the first of hundreds in this forum to say it's a bike that is not used for its intended purpose. You need to make the bike fit you. Changing the bars takes ten minutes. Please use the search function on this forum. There are all sorts of little changes that make a difference. Condemning this bike to a throttle only image isn't fair to the people who are interested in buying this bike. You are one of the minority that isn't able to make a multi adjustable bike comfortable.

Yes, I do think that the suspension seat post was worth it; no more neck soreness. I do see that Amazon has similar products at about half the price of Lectric but I did not want to take chance so I bought from Lectric; ~ $96 delivered.
The suntour seat post is the best seat post out there for the price..$80 US. It's on Ali express. The seat post on Lectric s site helps but is a glorified pogo stick.

The suntour seat post is the best seat post out there for the price..$80 US. It's on Ali express. The seat post on Lectric s site helps but is a glorified pogo stick.

Found the suntour SP12 NCX MTB seat post 31.6 mm, is that the one you are referring to? If so, did you try the suntour with the lectric stock seat by chance? I'm wondering if I'll end up replacing it as well.

Yes I tried the stock seat with the SunTour suspension post I still ended up replacing the seat which also helped

#Aliexpress C$ 92.90 30%OFF | SR SUNTOUR NCX Bike Suspension Travel Seatpost 350mm/400mm*27.2/30.9/31.6mm Bicycle Seat Post Tube
Warning...the XP seat post is a 31.8mm (not 31.6mm)...and yeas it DOES make a difference. I too ordered a similar seat post with a 31.6mm SHIM...it doesn't tightened down enough to be safe. The seat post will not stay stationary.

Warning...the XP seat post is a 31.8mm (not 31.6mm)...and yeas it DOES make a difference. I too ordered a similar seat post with a 31.6mm SHIM...it doesn't tightened down enough to be safe. The seat post will not stay stationary.

We have two posts being discussed, neither have XP in their name. What is the XP you are warning us about? The Suntour? Because on Amazon the Suntour also says that it is 31.6mm

THAT IS NOT CORRECT! There are hundreds of us with this seat post and no shim is needed it fits fine no problem. Please use the search function on this site, this has been discussed. This seat post will not be a problem the difference in the size does not effect anything...What do you mean? A similar seat post? So does that mean you did not order the the sun tour seat post for a Lectric XP? If that is the case then your comparing Apple's to oranges as well. The sun tour seat post is 31.6 and doesn't come with a shim the XP is 31.8 ...But you don't need shim. This sun tour seat post has been a god send for all sorts of people on this site...If you don't know don't spread false info

Last edited:
Back