Lectric Xp and dog?

shezoom

Hi Folks

Curious if any of you have taken your dog along side you on your lectric xp? I have a 90 pound dog who i think would enjoy running next to me. Does anyone know if there is a harness or attachment device that is similar to what they have for dogs and standard bicycles? I have attached one on a standard bike...do you think this could still work?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 12.39.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 12.39.01 PM.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Hi Folks

Curious if any of you have taken your dog along side you on your lectric xp? I have a 90 pound dog who i think would enjoy running next to me. Does anyone know if there is a harness or attachment device that is similar to what they have for dogs and standard bicycles? I have attached one for standard bikes...do you think this could still work?
Same question was asked on Facebook and they got blasted. Consensus is you CAN'T hook a dog up to an ebike, or motorcycle or a car safely or in good conscience. Your bike, your dog, your choice though...

Same question was asked on Facebook and they got blasted. Consensus is you CAN'T hook a dog up to an ebike, or motorcycle or a car safely or in good conscience. Your bike, your dog, your choice though...

A 90 lb. dog running next to you is one thing. A 90 lb. dog running after a cat/squirrel/other dog/other cyclist while tethered to you is a nother (dangerous ) thing. The same dog running untethered next to you is probably illegal, ...most places require dogs on public property to be on a leash. Love me, love my dog doesn't work when people see a free running large dog, which could, in their minds at least, be a threat to them, their kids, or their pets. Joggers particularly do not like the idea of a big dog that is free to chase them. Simply put, a large dog is a responsibility that should be under secure control, ...and this is nearly impossible while on a bike. Looking for trouble, I'm afraid.

People don't realize the danger to the dog from fatigue. They think they are doing their pet a favor giving them exercise but in fact they may be doing great harm, especially when it is hot outside. I remember getting a call from our Vet while she was driving home. She called to discuss a treatment for our dog. She paused while speaking because she saw someone riding their bike with their dog running along side. She made it a point to tell me how upset she gets when seeing that.

A 90 lb. dog running next to you is one thing. A 90 lb. dog running after a cat/squirrel/other dog/other cyclist while tethered to you is a nother (dangerous ) thing. The same dog running untethered next to you is probably illegal, ...most places require dogs on public property to be on a leash. Love me, love my dog doesn't work when people see a free running large dog, which could, in their minds at least, be a threat to them, their kids, or their pets. Joggers particularly do not like the idea of a big dog that is free to chase them. Simply put, a large dog is a responsibility that should be under secure control, ...and this is nearly impossible while on a bike. Looking for trouble, I'm afraid.
Honestly I thought this would be a bad idea as well. All of your comments confirm it. Ona slow moving bike is difficult enough. Thank you

One more thing a german dog training title called the AD is when the handler has the dog trot next to them on a motobike for a total of 12.5 miles. Not saying Im ready for that though :)

Some dogs really enjoy running. Please don't assume all owners are negligent or uneducated. There's nothing wrong if the owner is fully aware of the limitations and precautions. There's a lot of variables to consider, but if all the boxes are checked, why not? I have a 90lb GSD. I take him running all the time. I use a police leash and he's well trained. We run when it's cool and I'm always mindful of his condition. We take breaks, we run on soft surface, and he does not pull. He loves it! Works for me too because I can't keep up with him on foot.

There is indeed a lot of things that can go wrong, but if you're well prepared, go for it. For the Lectric XP, the slowest speed on default is 8.6 mph (gen 1) in assist 1. That's a little fast. My dog runs somewhere around 5-12 mph depending on how excited he is and on what surface. I normally run him with my Swagtron EB7, which is a little slower in the lowest setting. When I use the Lectric, I use throttle instead.

Good luck!

A trailer might be a solution. We carried two small dogs when went riding. Never a problem. Shade , mesh screen for airflow etc. They come in large breed sizes.

Well I watched my neighbor jog with his dog every day for hours. He was addicted to it. The dog started getting slower and slower. Was having problems with his legs and joints. About a year later the dog could barely move. I watched him bury that dog. He cried for a long time and said he would never kill another one. He loved that dog, but not enough to save its life apparently. Cause what could go wrong with just doing a little jogging with your dog. Right? Well my neighbor kept jogging all by himself and guess what. He started getting slower and slower. He kept jogging until he has just a little bitty shuffle. Now he is almost on crutches and no longer jogs. Someone told me that must be what they call " Karma ". Still didn't help the dog though, he was already dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Aren''t we here because we are fortunate enough to be able to afford these nice bikes, and because we are willing/able to share helpful info/experience?
"I'm smarter than you (quicker-witted than you, more knowledgable than you ) is not a claim or contest that can really be won with insulting posts, ...and this can quickly change the enjoyable camaraderie and friendly atmosphere of any blog into something else. I'm just suggesting that we give a little thought to how we want things to go here ;-) Peace!

Some dogs really enjoy running. Please don't assume all owners are negligent or uneducated. There's nothing wrong if the owner is fully aware of the limitations and precautions. There's a lot of variables to consider, but if all the boxes are checked, why not? I have a 90lb GSD. I take him running all the time. I use a police leash and he's well trained. We run when it's cool and I'm always mindful of his condition. We take breaks, we run on soft surface, and he does not pull. He loves it! Works for me too because I can't keep up with him on foot.

There is indeed a lot of things that can go wrong, but if you're well prepared, go for it. For the Lectric XP, the slowest speed on default is 8.6 mph (gen 1) in assist 1. That's a little fast. My dog runs somewhere around 5-12 mph depending on how excited he is and on what surface. I normally run him with my Swagtron EB7, which is a little slower in the lowest setting. When I use the Lectric, I use throttle instead.

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. I use a police leash from germany with my GSD as well on walks.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I do this. I have a Lectic XP and use it to exercise my 55lb Dalmatian. Never had a single problem. The bike in pedal assist 1 going about 8-9 mph is a very moderate easy trot for the dog, not even running. The fastest we've ever gone together was 22mph for a very short burst. I don't use a special equipment, I just tie the leash to the top of the seat post, and clip the leash to the back of his harness. The best advice is to keep the leash short, only like 3 feet. You don't want to give the dog enough slack to go in front of the bike, or to think he can go on the opposite side of a sign from you. This is the 3rd large dog I've biked with in my life, never had an issue. Unless your dog is a complete untrained heathen, I don't think they could pull you over. There's a lot weight and centripetal force holding the bike upright and propelling it forward. I say just take it slow and give it go.

This thread doesnt make sense anymore as they removed my replies because i was the only one who actually does this with this piece of equipment, i also bikejor like on the video with my malamute, but as per usual people without any idea what they are talking about spout nonsense and accuse you of allsorts of s*it, apparently thats ok though. Walkies are a good safe way to cycle with your dog, ignore the haters with their fake BS.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I do this. I have a Lectic XP and use it to exercise my 55lb Dalmatian. Never had a single problem. The bike in pedal assist 1 going about 8-9 mph is a very moderate easy trot for the dog, not even running. The fastest we've ever gone together was 22mph for a very short burst. I don't use a special equipment, I just tie the leash to the top of the seat post, and clip the leash to the back of his harness. The best advice is to keep the leash short, only like 3 feet. You don't want to give the dog enough slack to go in front of the bike, or to think he can go on the opposite side of a sign from you. This is the 3rd large dog I've biked with in my life, never had an issue. Unless your dog is a complete untrained heathen, I don't think they could pull you over. There's a lot weight and centripetal force holding the bike upright and propelling it forward. I say just take it slow and give it go.
what state do you live in?

how many miles do you do with your dog?
It depends on the weather and how the dog is feeling. The most we've ever gone was about 8 miles when the weather was really mild. But typically it's 2-4 miles a couple days a week.

Attachments

• Bogey.jpg
    Bogey.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 346
Back