New Lectric Xpress

I really LOVE the folding portability, light weight, and SIMPLICITYof the XP Lite. (I was always fussing with adjusting the derailleur and brakes on the Ride1Up and it got old very fast. I just left it in one gear and just used the PAS modes so all that shifting system hardware was useless to me. Lectric really nailed the XP's single speed gearing. It's damn bear perfect.I also like the NIMBLE handing of the XP Lite vs the Core 5. It's not even close. The XP Lite invites you to throw it into a turn. You can also modify the XP Lite to your heart's content with BMX wheels and handle bars and mod it out to your liking. The 20" wheels frankly ride very well to my surprise. It's just more FUN to ride (without the maintenance) if I can sum it up in one sentence. I think if they put a carbon belt on the XP Lite, it would be near perfect for most people.
I certainly like the XP Lite a lot more than all the other foldable fat tire (4" or more) incarnations with 20" diameter wheels. I agree that's it is very nimble and a surprisingly capable hill climber given the single speed. It does not have great battery capacity which I regard as the Lites greatest limitation. (I share your dislike of derailleurs. Ugh!).

To address Rexicon directly, 20 inch bikes can be very nimble, fattys notwithstanding (those handle horribly, but smooth out an otherwise bumpy ride on some surfaces). They require less torque to start rolling, so very zippy off the line. Conversely, they have more rolling resistance when cruising along though. They are also less forgiving on rougher terrain or potholes (again, that's the trade-off with the popular fat tire versions, adding comfort but subtracting agility).

Still, our XP Lite and Propella Mini are fun to ride in a sports car kind of way, so I understand the popularity of 20 inchers. For myself, I find 26" or greater wheels more comfortable overall for long rides with fewer compromises than a 20" wheel.

Last edited:
I certainly like the XP Lite a lot more than all the other foldable fat tire (4" or more) incarnations with 20" diameter wheels. I agree that's it is very nimble and a surprisingly capable hill climber given the single speed. It does not have great battery capacity which I regard as the Lites greatest limitation. (I share your dislike of derailleurs. Ugh!).

To address Rexicon directly, 20 inch bikes can be very nimble, fattys notwithstanding (those handle horribly, but smooth out an otherwise bumpy ride on some surfaces). They require less torque to start rolling, so very zippy off the line. Conversely, they have more rolling resistance when cruising along though. They are also less forgiving on rougher terrain or potholes (again, that's the trade-off with the popular fat tire versions, adding comfort but subtracting agility).

Still, our XP Lite and Propella Mini are fun to ride in a sports car kind of way, so I understand the popularity of 20 inchers. For myself, I find 26" or greater wheels more comfortable overall for long rides with fewer compromises than a 20" wheel.
For most riders...the most important thing about any eBike...and the question they should ask before they buy...is it FUN to ride (as opposed to having to work unnecessarily with complicated and or unnecessary crap). For me the XP Lite is serious FUN, and I look forward each day (weather permitting) to ride it. BTW...I'm 72 years young and this is my 3rd eBike. Now put a carbon belt drive on it Lectric..!!...

Any idea if the battery is somewhat standard and can be used on any other bikes? I'm torn between the 500 and 750. The only reason I want the 750 is due to the longer range battery. I have no use for the 2nd battery, and want nothing to do with caring for it. There is no option for getting the 14ah battery with the 500 model. If I got the 750, I'd sell the extra battery right away.

Any idea if the battery is somewhat standard and can be used on any other bikes? I'm torn between the 500 and 750. The only reason I want the 750 is due to the longer range battery. I have no use for the 2nd battery, and want nothing to do with caring for it. There is no option for getting the 14ah battery with the 500 model. If I got the 750, I'd sell the extra battery right away.
With a #60 frame, and the larger 27.5" wheels, I would get the 750 model without hesitation. Those larger wheels take a lot more to get them rolling. I had a Lectric XP with the 500 watt/20" wheels, then sold that for a Ride1Up with 750 watt/27.5 wheels...and they were about the same in so far as getting rolling. I would not have been happy if that Ride1Up had only a 500 watt motor and a smaller battery. In fact when Ride1Up introduced the Core 5 originally... it had the 500 watt motor. It didn't take them long to update that to a 750 watt motor after a lot of buyer feedback. Plus you get the extended range battery with the 750. I would spend the extra $ on the 750 even without the extra free battery.

I'll second Myers830's advice. I'll only add that you might regret not hanging onto the spare battery even if you can sell it, especially since you mentioned range. Until I started e-biking I never imagined that I'd regularly ride 30 to 60 miles or more in a day. You can carry the spare on a rear rack for long trips if for no other reason than to relieve range anxiety.

Last edited:
I'll second Myers830's advice. I'll only add that you might regret not hanging onto the spare battery even if you can sell it, especially since you mentioned range. Until I started e-biking I never imagined that I'd regularly be riding 30 to 60 miles or more in a day. You can carry the spare on a rear rack for long trips if for no other reason than to relieve range anxiety.
The idea of poo-pooing a FREE $500 battery is hard to understand. If you ever have to replace an expensive eBike battery, you'd run, not walk to get a deal like that. So you may not use it? You don't use home insurance 99% of the time but when you need it...the battery is almost half the cost of the entire bike. I mean...come on man.

I've had the XP 1.0 for a few years. Battery still works after 2500 miles. While I've never been stranded by its battery, I see the value in having a longer-range battery. I have no use for a 2nd battery that I have to be careful about rotating with the other one periodically, and ensuring is always stored at an appropriate state of charge. Otherwise it will be broken/dead if I ever need it.

The xpress would be used for my wife to ride with me while I ride my analog bike. No need for 750w power. We don't go far enough to need a 2nd battery. But 14ah would be welcome over 10ah in case we don't start with a 100% charge.

Back