Lectric-Cycles kit cost!

Bobiam

The Lectric-Cycles Website provides a lot of options for configuring do-it-yourself a bike conversion. I priced out a 750W mid-drive kit with a 1000W, 17ah Batt. After all is said and done it looks like an $1800 project. I wrote them to confirm and will post corrections if I'm wrong. But that seems like a lot of money for a somewhat makeshift conversion. Only 1 yr warranty.
Thoughts on this??
Bob

Assuming that it’s a BBS02 and 48v 17ah HL type battery that seems steep. Should be about 4-5 hundred less.

Yes I do as do many, they are not an untested product. The torque assist is on the same level as those of the major brand integrated systems IMNSHO.

I'm one of the many. Mine came in around $1000 in 2016, but I didn't need a battery that large With a 48V 13AH battery, I would expect to spend around $800-900 today. A BBS02 is actually pretty easy on the battery if you don't need to go 20+ mph.

Lectric Cycles has some serious growing pains coming out of some seemingly difficult failures and closures. Their pricing is outrageous.

I have the same motor as JRA, and also a BBS02. They are quite different rides. I like the higher power of the BBS02. But I do also support them for a reseller. I’m in my 5th season with a Lectric BBS01 kit. And regularly ride the TSDZ2. Both have very good support from users. Neither manufacturer is particularly helpful.

Talk to Matt live at EmpoweredCycles. And don't just judge by a website. He's the best in the industry by far for anything Bafang ,and Matt's been doing this for years. Matt is a straight shooter and does a lot of little things to make sure you have a top notch package. TJ is right about 'lectric. And lots of people, dealers, former employees, end customers have been negatively affected by their sudden closing and 'relocating' and layoffs. Hard to tell if the owner's heart is even still in it.

Talk to Matt live at EmpoweredCycles. And don't just judge by a website. He's the best in the industry by far for anything Bafang ,and Matt's been doing this for years. Matt is a straight shooter and does a lot of little things to make sure you have a top notch package. TJ is right about 'lectric. And lots of people, dealers, former employees, end customers have been negatively affected by their sudden closing and 'relocating' and layoffs. Hard to tell if the owner's heart is even still in it.

Mike.... Excellent site. Thank you. Everything explained well. A bit hard to figure what level of assist I'd want from this setup, but I tend to buy the best so I won't have to kick myself in the ass for not doing so later on. A decent system would be around $1400. I think the bike was around $400 in 1989......! It's a Univega (remember those) no suspension mtn bike with urban tires and good components. Quite substantial. I'll thnk more on it.

I'll think more on it.
Converting a bike you like and are happy riding is a good direction! The learning curve can be a bit frustrating but in the end, you'll have a motor and kit you can maintain, have repaired, repair yourself, and just be darn happy riding...

Converting a bike you like and are happy riding is a good direction! The learning curve can be a bit frustrating but in the end, you'll have a motor and kit you can maintain, have repaired, repair yourself, and just be darn happy riding...

Today I've read much and watched numerous vids re the TSDZ2 unit. Looking at recycles-ebike.com as a source. Cost will be $1000-1200....not bad! The torque sensor discussions have convinced me that this is the way to go. Will sacrifice a bit of power but can't have everything! Thanks for well wishes and encouragement.
Presently I'm healing from a foot surgery thing and have been driving a knee scooter around the house for 7 weeks. Yearning to get out on a bike, but my days of standing on pedals and challenging mega-hills are over. The ebike is to give me my life back!!!!!

The ebike is to give me my life back!!!!!
The fellow at recycles-ebike.com has invested a lot of time and energy into that motor. They seem to be selling well. We looked but decided the BBSxx series gave us more of what we wanted. I'm a cane user on foot and have severe leg issues. I prefer cadence, far less stress on my legs, but as always YMMV! Most importantly, you're back on a bike, HAVE FUN!!!

The Lectric-Cycles Website provides a lot of options for configuring do-it-yourself a bike conversion. I priced out a 750W mid-drive kit with a 1000W, 17ah Batt. After all is said and done it looks like an $1800 project. I wrote them to confirm and will post corrections if I'm wrong. But that seems like a lot of money for a somewhat makeshift conversion. Only 1 yr warranty.
Thoughts on this??
Bob

You guys were right. A week later and nobody has contacted me from Lectric Cycle. I guess they are not interested in sales. Glad that I learned this. Thanks!!!

@Bobiam: It sounds like you are experienced and enjoy cycling itself, not just looking for a cheap way to get around (like me). I think you'll find that 500W is plenty of assist and the torque sensing makes for a much more natural ride. I rode a Lectric BBS02 conversion for 3 years, then switched last year to a Specialized 500W rear hub with torque sensing. The new bike is more enjoyable to me; you are still working a bit and getting all the fun parts of the cycling experience but the rough bits are smoothly sanded off. Also, Lectric was unreliable/unhelpful when I was trying to get parts for my old kit; seems like they may have changed hands as Chris Head is no longer with the company.

Good luck with your recovery and have fun getting back out there!

@Bobiam: It sounds like you are experienced and enjoy cycling itself, not just looking for a cheap way to get around (like me). I think you'll find that 500W is plenty of assist and the torque sensing makes for a much more natural ride. I rode a Lectric BBS02 conversion for 3 years, then switched last year to a Specialized 500W rear hub with torque sensing. The new bike is more enjoyable to me; you are still working a bit and getting all the fun parts of the cycling experience but the rough bits are smoothly sanded off. Also, Lectric was unreliable/unhelpful when I was trying to get parts for my old kit; seems like they may have changed hands as Chris Head is no longer with the company.

Good luck with your recovery and have fun getting back out there!

Thanks for confirming this and providing an experienced opinion. It’s strange that Lectric is failing us because a business like this can be operated out of a small garage with no show room. But, it would be hard to make a dependable living and it would probably be be best just to operated part time. It’s hard to be all things to all people. It seems that the kit business is primarily to serve enthusiasts, rather than seduce the general public into E bike conversions.

Back