LCD 3 Set up issue

WasiTheKiwi

Hi i an new to ebikes but my wife and I have been having a ball with them except we are running into an issue with both of them.
The 2 bikes are rebranded Rad Rover fat bikes with 48V 750w Bafang geared hubs. We had an issue with the bikes cutting out after about 5-6 miles on a hard sand beach. I checked the batteries and by switching in a fresh fully charged one and the cutout issue continued. I then checked the controllers and they are rated at 18A Limit current and 9A Normal. Which and i'll stand to be corrected 9a would only support 500w before overheating?. I went back to the supplier and they sent me replacement controllers (Limit 22a normal 11amp) which according to my maths is still marginal. I wanted to be more able to see what was going on than with the std non-digital handlebar control so i purchased kt-LCD3 units.
1: Now to my problem, The PAS control has 5 levels but in all 5 the assist level is full power.
2: It is not showing the speed
3: should i just give up on my supplier and just purchase new speed controller units and if so what rating should they be

1) Are your controllers compatible with LCD3?

2) Is there a separate speed sensor on the rear wheel. You will see something with wires to it on the frame, and also a magnet attached to the spoke. The controller either needs this external sensor or a speed sensor inside the motor which will be connected via the motor cable.

3)Have you got a LCD3 programming manual?
http://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7/0/9/57094291/handleiding-bizobike-kt-lcd3.pdf

4)The Bafang geared motor comes alive with a 25A controller. Mine does. Will do about 26 mph on 48V. I got mine from Luna Cycle, but it was a mess to wire up as connectors were for a Sondors. Most people wouldn't do it.

Yup, you have too small of controller and a protocol language issue between the controller and the LCD you bought. I'd suggest at least a 20amp nominal controller. Send me a private message(conversation on this site) and I will give you a website to purchase from. The site specializes in modifying Sondors bikes with upgrade motors, batteries, and controllers. Never heard of a rebranded Rad Rover. Too bad they don't know what they are doing.

1) Are your controllers compatible with LCD3?

2) Is there a separate speed sensor on the rear wheel. You will see something with wires to it on the frame, and also a magnet attached to the spoke. The controller either needs this external sensor or a speed sensor inside the motor which will be connected via the motor cable.

3)Have you got a LCD3 programming manual?
http://www.bizobike.com/uploads/5/7/0/9/57094291/handleiding-bizobike-kt-lcd3.pdf

4)The Bafang geared motor comes alive with a 25A controller. Mine does. Will do about 26 mph on 48V. I got mine from Luna Cycle, but it was a mess to wire up as connectors were for a Sondors. Most people wouldn't do it.

Thank you, I have 2 different controllers at the moment. When i first had the cutting out issue it was first noticed on my bike. Being much heavier than my wife i just thought i was putting more load on it than her so when i went back to the supplier ( in a different city) they sent me an up rated controller. To cut a long story short it had totally different plugs etc and when i went back and asked for a wiring diagram he said ill send you a new frame minus wheels and peddles change your stuff over and return yours. It had a digital handle bar controller and it registers the speed but has the same issue with the peddle assist. All 5 settings are the same flat out. After we went for a long ride i found my wifes bike had the same issues with cutting out. I still had the up rated controller so i spent some time on the net found out the wiring and fitted it to my wifes bike with a LCD3 on the bars. The issue is no speed showing and all 5 pas setting = flat out.

It's not clear what you mean by all PAS levels being flat out. Usually, each level runs out of pep at some speed.

If you do have a LCD3 compatible controller, the manual states there is a P3 setting that affects PAS. It should be set at 0.

And if no speed is showing, the controller either needs a speed signal or P2 is set to 0 in error if the signal is present (per the manual)

Back