Level Ver. 1 creaking issue solved

Brockrock

Region
USA
I have had a very annoying creaking issue with my Level this summer. It felt and sounded like it was in the area of the bottom bracket, so first, I made sure both crank arms were properly tightened. The issue remained. I then swapped the pedals with a known good set. The issue remained. I then replaced the bottom bracket with the stock unit from the Aventon store. The issue remained. I was pretty frustrated at this point. So frustrated in fact, that I was about to just toss the bike and move on. This creak really ruined my rides. It was constant with every pedal stroke, and it just made the bike seem like a cheap piece of junk. Maybe I'm OCD, but I think some folks may understand. It was becoming intolerable. So, I decided to remove - one by one - the three hex screws that fasten the battery bracket (and maybe controller) into the downtube. They are on the underside of the tube (outside), and I refastened them after applying a bit of Park grease (the blue stuff). I snugged them each evenly rotating around one by one and then tightened them down. I then notices several other screws inside the downtube on the battery bracket itself. I checked the tightness on each and was able to snug them up a bit. There is also a long plate that runs vertically along the inner downtube. I removed and greased the two screws that I was able to get to and refastened those as well. I then went for a ride today (25 miles), and the creak is gone. I'm not sure which of the above eliminated it, but I could not be happier. It really was that much more of a pleasure to ride today. Anyway, I thought I'd post this in case others have a creak. If so, and if you are unsure about which screws and whatnot, let me know. I will post pics if needed. God Bless all!

I had a creaking noise on my Pace 500.3. I narrowed it down to the battery. Got some lithium grease and put it all around where the battery is seated - ie: anyplace the battery came into contact with the frame. A very sparse coat. Voila! Creaking sound gone. What's funny is that my wife's 500.3 didn't creak with the same battery (tested before I greased it). My conclusion is that it's the finish on the bike. I have the blue paint, which is a satin finish. She has the white, which is a gloss finish. It's the only possible explanation I can think of.

I had a creaking noise on my Pace 500.3. I narrowed it down to the battery. Got some lithium grease and put it all around where the battery is seated - ie: anyplace the battery came into contact with the frame. A very sparse coat. Voila! Creaking sound gone. What's funny is that my wife's 500.3 didn't creak with the same battery (tested before I greased it). My conclusion is that it's the finish on the bike. I have the blue paint, which is a satin finish. She has the white, which is a gloss finish. It's the only possible explanation I can think of.
Congrats on fixing the issue. It feels good to fix these creaks. They sort of get into your head for sure…

Back