LAVO Bike Dutch/Australian prototype Hydrogen fuel-cell e-bike

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
LAVO, an Australian designer of an upcoming 50% efficient solar powered Hydrogen home battery system competing with the Tesla PowerWall, have partnered with a Dutch battery company Nedstack to produce their Hydrogen fuel-cell stack battery design. LAVO have employed a Dutch design agency studioMOM to build a prototype cargo e-bike powered by hydrogen fuel-cell stack. @Ravi Kempaiah posted on the EBR forum last fall a link to a Bosch website explaining how the fuel-cell stack technology works. It is unclear if Hydrogen produced by the LAVO home system might be able to be used to power the bike. The US Dept of Energy maintains a website locator for the small number of current vehicle Hydrogen fuel stations, mostly located around San Francisco & Los Angeles.

This is not the first prototype Hydrogen fuel-stack e-bike design, a 2019 thread here on the EBR forum reported on others that also never made it past prototype. Some of the application pros and cons of a hydrogen fuel-stack system for e-bikes are discussed in this Treehugger article.

lavo-bike01_project-foto-2_new_close.jpg

sistema-LAVO.jpg

Last edited:
I will share more thoughts later tomorrow.
But for now, the hydrogen fuel cell is feasible only in a few situations. It is impractical for a regular E-bike but it can be made to work on a large cargo E-bike. In fact, there is already a working model here.

Hydrogen has its own set of problems, I will stick with batteries for the time being, in my case they are adequate.

Back