Latest mirror advice?

Fryslan

First post to my new home, the Juiced forum. I have a CCS, size XL. Love it so far.

Looking through posts regarding mirrors, I’m still wondering: what are good options for a bar-mounted LH side mirror, while keeping the stock grips and not tearing into them?

There are some velcro mirrors that would probably work, but it's definitely an imperfect solution: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-7015978-SMARTVIEW-Mirror-Black/dp/B000LOG3EW

Like ebikemom, I went a different route, and got the Bike Peddler glasses-mounted option. I have a pair cycling of glasses that I can easily change the lenses out on, clear for dark early morning rides, and polarized + slight tint for day, you might be surprised how much the polarization can help improve your view of the road. Plus it cuts down on wind in your eyes at 30mph. Big pro to the glasses mounted kind are that relative to your eyes, it's always in the same location, regardless of your riding position.

Last edited:
Just purchased the Mirrycle MTB Bar End mirror ( mounts on end of handlebar ). Works well, is adjustable and the convexing of the mirror works well to view items in the rear. See link below. Many others here have also recommended this mirror. Good luck with your new CCS.

The end of my grip had a cap on it that I just pried loose to create the hole (access) to the handlebar to mount the mirror. I seem to recall in pix of the CCS it also had an end cap that you pried loose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009R96YK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, everyone! What a warm introduction - I’m humbled.

I’ll dig into the Mirrycle option - maybe not as convoluted as I thought. And now that several of you mention the glasses mount, I just might get another pair and give it a whirl. Justin, brilliant advice on the polarization and tint. :cool:

By the way, I’m also an adventure motorcyclist (KLR, V-Strom), and we call these little improvements “farkling”.

-Ken, State College, PA

I used a glasses-mounted mirror for the last year. It worked okay, but the swivel got looser and looser until the mirror would blow sideways in any breeze. So I switched to a helmet mounted mirror and I'm glad I did. Bigger mirror, much more stable, less vibration.

Of all the approaches, the 'Hafny solution' might best fit my needs. Glasses and helmet mounts don't jive with the way I throw around my glasses and helmet, and I'm a bit skeptical of my ability to chop into the left grip to mount the Mirrcycle (which I realized I actually already have on my old Schwinn). So a robust mirror that reaches well across to the left, and doesn't move the brake lever too far out of line, might be just the thing. Amazon here we come. Thanks, Merc!

@devhead

1549690450293.jpeg
1549690450293.jpeg

1549690521041.jpeg

I tried a helmet mounted mirror and could not get the hang of it. It took too long to position my head just right to get the rear view I was looking for. With a handlebar mounted mirror a quick glance in the same spot gave instant info. It just feels safer to me. The best mirror I have found is the Busch & Muller 701. It is, by far, the most well built, durable mirror for a bicycle I have seen. It has a spring loaded, break away joint to keep it from getting broken if it is knocked in to something and also folds in to get through doorways. It inserts into the handlebar end simply by removing the end cap.

1546889599743.png

Last edited:
The Haftny mirror works very well on my Jones handlebars. I will never go back to helmet or eyeglass mirrors.

@Fildil I just got the Jones h bar loop with the 2.5 inch riser. Love it. Now trying to decide where I want to place my Hafny. Have any pictures showing where you placed yours? So much room on the new handle bars I’m going to get one for the right too.

I have a left side haftny mirror that is mounted on the left side and is above the Jones bars. That position is closer to my eye and is not blocked by my left hand. It has served me well for quite a while.

@Fildil I just got the Jones h bar loop with the 2.5 inch riser. Love it. Now trying to decide where I want to place my Hafny. Have any pictures showing where you placed yours? So much room on the new handle bars I’m going to get one for the right too.

Merc - Can you please post a pic when you install that 2.5 riser H-bar? I've been interested in the Jones H-bar and didn't realize they had one that acts as a 2.5" spacer. That's a really intriguing product to me! It not only brings the bars out and closer to you but gives you that rise as well. Win-win.

Also - will you be keeping the standard CCX grips with the new Jones bar? Seems like they wouldn't be optimal for the new hand position.

Thanks you sir.

Back