LaFree Ebike

The 'auto mode' may well only be for 6-sensor equipped bikes. I'll check later on mine - it is a 4-sensor, with the 2020 edition coming with the new 6-sensor setup.
It may also be they added the new features earlier on the LaFree, for the '19 model. Or it may be on the 'life' motor version and not on the 'sport'.

Ah...found it:
My 2019 E+1 has 5 assists plus the Auto Mode, but I never use the Auto. Tried it several times. Not my cuppa tea. I prefer to cycle through the 5 other assist levels on my own. I feel like I get a quicker (read as "immediate") response from the bike when I do my own selection of assist, rather than waiting that fractional second for the bike to determine what level would be best based upon the pressure I'm applying to the pedals. My damaged knee doesn't appreciate having to apply pressure in order to affect change.

What are the recommended weight limits on the Men's bikes? Good for bigger people? Anyone over 6 foot and 250lbs own one here?

My 2019 E+1 has 5 assists plus the Auto Mode, but I never use the Auto. Tried it several times. Not my cuppa tea. I prefer to cycle through the 5 other assist levels on my own. I feel like I get a quicker (read as "immediate") response from the bike when I do my own selection of assist, rather than waiting that fractional second for the bike to determine what level would be best based upon the pressure I'm applying to the pedals. My damaged knee doesn't appreciate having to apply pressure in order to affect change.
Auto mode is for 6 sensor bikes which adds accel / decel and slope sensor so that power can be adjusted accordingly.

After initially fooling around quite a bit with the assist level on my E+2, I've "evolved" to leaving it in auto mode. I gear up and down as needed, and the assist adjusts itself quicker and more smoothly than I was able to. Being able to set it and forget it is one of my favorite things about my bike!

The only thing about auto mode I wish were adjustable is the level of assist overall. I find it a bit too aggressive.

Anyone? I can't seem to find the info online elsewhere. TIA.
Go to the size guide for the bike you want, this is the Giant Daily Tour but most are 300lb
1582874829484.png

Last edited:
Does anyone here who owns one of the LA Free models wish it came with a throttle? Was that a consideration for you when purchasing? It seems like adding a throttle to a mid-drive (like DOST bikes just came out with) only adds convenience and I wonder why manufacturers would leave it off.

Does anyone here who owns one of the LA Free models wish it came with a throttle? Was that a consideration for you when purchasing? It seems like adding a throttle to a mid-drive (like DOST bikes just came out with) only adds convenience and I wonder why manufacturers would leave it off.

The big-3 build Class1 bikes to be legal everywhere that regular pedal bikes are.
When you pedal it assists. 👍

The big-3 build Class1 bikes to be legal everywhere that regular pedal bikes are.
When you pedal it assists. 👍
Thanks. I totally understand. Was asking more about a wish list item for owners though. I've found having a throttle is great when your riding location allows for its legal use and then they are easily disconnected when need-be to make the bike Class 1 legal.

We have Two LaFree E+1 and Yes a Throttle would have made the bike nearly Perfect.

Ariel Rider C-Class is set up with Throttle Mid Drive, etc........... it was a contender for me. But I just didn't want to do Mail Order.

All things said, We REALLY enjoy our LaFree E+1's. Perfect for our needs. The Yamaha Motor is Great.

A Throttle for us would mostly be a Safety convenience when Starting from a Stop in traffic. and it became a trade off in our final decision. The Giant had so much going for it otherwise.

Ebikes are still evolving, and I anticipate more bikes with Cadence, Torque, & Throttle all together.

Craig :cool:

Ebikes are still evolving, and I anticipate more bikes with Cadence, Torque, & Throttle all together.

Craig :cool:

I know you are right about this, Craig. I want it all but just not finding it too readily available. I can wait but I'm just in a hurry to get something now that I've been bitten by the bug! Love the Yamaha motor on this and that puts it right up at the top. Just want that throttle too!

I know you are right about this, Craig. I want it all but just not finding it too readily available. I can wait but I'm just in a hurry to get something now that I've been bitten by the bug! Love the Yamaha motor on this and that puts it right up at the top. Just want that throttle too!

Well............. The DOST sure looked good, and again, take a look a Ariel Rider, they use DAPU motors which are not bad.

Nope, don't wish for a throttle. I'm really happy with the bike just the way it is (I have the E+2). BTW,a couple of folks have mentioned in the past that the walk assist feature could be used as a throttle to get going from a stop, but I've never tried it for that.

Nope, don't wish for a throttle. I'm really happy with the bike just the way it is (I have the E+2). BTW,a couple of folks have mentioned in the past that the walk assist feature could be used as a throttle to get going from a stop, but I've never tried it for that.
Hve you ridden anythig with a throttle? I was sold on the first ride. :D

Back