Known Issues & Problems with Watt Wagons Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Funny, the beginning of your answer was exactly what I was thinking.

I'm 6'2", 36" inseam and longer pedal reach than that most of the time. Glad you didn't try suffering along with a medium.

I just experienced my first dreaded motor shut down. Had ridden on trails for maybe an hour and was returning on the street. Went from level 3 to 4 and motor cuts out and display goes dark. Kept pedaling for a bit and turned power on and it restarted. Will be interesting to see if this shows up again.

Last edited:
I just experienced my first dreaded motor shut down. Had ridden on trails for maybe an hour and was returning on the street. Went from level 3 to 4 and motor cuts out and display goes dark. Kept pedaling for a bit and turned power on and it restarted. Will be interesting to see if this shows up again.
That really sounds like you just overloaded the battery and it cut out. Mine do the same thing towards the end of a ride if I’m going into assist 4 or more and jumping hard on the peddles. I think Pushkar is sending them out with much lower power settings currently which is a great idea. there is still twice as fast as a Levo

That really sounds like you just overloaded the battery and it cut out. Mine do the same thing towards the end of a ride if I’m going into assist 4 or more and jumping hard on the peddles. I think Pushkar is sending them out with much lower power settings currently which is a great idea. there is still twice as fast as a Levo
That's helpful @Acme. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard tho but let's see with more riding. Funny your comment about the Levo. I was riding with a friend who had one. We switched at some point and I was amazed at the power difference. Loved the way the Levo handled (29s; Cush Core inserts) but wow, not anywhere near as responsive.

Your medium demo bike? How many hours of riding did you log in it?

I'm tempted to ask team WW to send me that Hydra.

Atleast it's been field tested.

And a spare motor. I will have a shop re coat it matte black.
Not sure on hours. Had it about 3 weeks and only rode it when I could, but you get a new battery and motor I beleive.

That’s a little personal, Sailor!

On a good day, 6’ 3 1/2”, 225lbs with a 34” inseam.
Lol, thanks. ;)
Trying to sort frame sizes at 6’ 220, 32” inseam.
Not sure going Hydra at the moment but considering wait times and all that, would sure be a ‘good idea’ to know what the heck I’d be looking to order.

Lol, thanks. ;)
Trying to sort frame sizes at 6’ 220, 32” inseam.
Not sure going Hydra at the moment but considering wait times and all that, would sure be a ‘good idea’ to know what the heck I’d be looking to order.
If you search Acme's posts and the fact that he has both a large and medium Hydra to personally compare riding comfort etc I think you will find some golden information. (Also pictures of both his bikes.)

As I understand it Hydra has a longer reach for the upper body than many bikes. If you decided to go that route I'll bet the med frame would fit you well.

If you search Acme's posts and the fact that he has both a large and medium Hydra to personally compare riding comfort etc I think you will find some golden information. (Also pictures of both his bikes.)

As I understand it Hydra has a longer reach for the upper body than many bikes. If you decided to go that route I'll bet the med frame would fit you well.
Would agree with @merlenelson on recommending the medium or you.

Yes please search my posts I have put up some measurements etc. Unless you have long arms I would say you are a medium. P.m. me if you would like my phone number.
Gary

Reactions: rtp
That's helpful @Acme. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard tho but let's see with more riding. Funny your comment about the Levo. I was riding with a friend who had one. We switched at some point and I was amazed at the power difference. Loved the way the Levo handled (29s; Cush Core inserts) but wow, not anywhere near as responsive.
I'm interested in any cutouts you experience going forward. I also haven't felt like I've been pushing the bike particularly hard when it cuts out but being a new owner am trying to understand the limits of the power / system. There are a few different explanations I've heard, but not all are consistent with what I've experienced. I've had two types of shutdown happen: one as you describe (display and power cut out where you have to wait a minute to turn the system back on) and one version where power cuts out, but the display stays on, and you can keep pedaling a few seconds later.

Overloading the battery is the common explanation but I'd like to understand why the problem manifests itself in different ways. The cutout generally seems to happen at high speeds as opposed to starting from a stop. I've also heard of the battery overheating, but that doesn't make sense here as I've been riding in the 50s and I had the whole system shut off after a few minutes of riding today which sounds more like overloading the battery vs. longer use and the battery getting hot. FWIW I don't see the watt reading on display ever going above 12-1300 so it doesn't seem to be running at elevated power, but I'm sure I don't fully appreciate the variables.

The other shutdown cause was inadequate insulation around the Bafang internal wires, which allowed electricity to arc to the motor casing in high current situations. I understand that was fixed by WW / Bafang so assume that isn't the case here.

Good info. I'm all about sharing on this topic. As a very new owner also trying to get a handle on this. One other note from me: when I had the other Hydra last month never experienced any sort of cut out and that over maybe 3 weeks of riding, including some very fast riding.

Yes, I was having a hard time imagining that it is pushing motor or battery too hard.

The Arcon X1 on WW site when set up at 3500 watts or something is supposed to be able to function 30 minutes or 60 minutes (some stated time) before tripping a protection circuit.

Good info. I'm all about sharing on this topic. As a very new owner also trying to get a handle on this. One other note from me: when I had the other Hydra last month never experienced any sort of cut out and that over maybe 3 weeks of riding, including some very fast riding.
That's a good point of comparison. I have a feeling it shouldn't be cutting out like this but only have others that have reported similar issues to compare with. Before this latest batch of Hydra's, I didn't anyone posting about cutouts, other than the wire issue WW ran to ground.

Would love to get some info from @pushkar and/or WW crew on the small cog(s) chain skipping issue. I know there are at least three of us currently suffering from this…

Would love to get some info from @pushkar and/or WW crew on the small cog(s) chain skipping issue. I know there are at least three of us currently suffering from this…
I have also had belt skipping problems on eco level 3 and higher, which results from the slightest angular misalignment between front and rear sprockets.

@Leon S. Kennedy, when you say belt do you have the Kindernay/belt setup?
I have the Wattwagons CrossTour which came with Gates Belt Drive and Rohloff internal gear hub. I don't think skipping has anything to do with the Rohloff. I think its the very low tolerance of the Gates Belt Drive to the slightest angular misalignment at power level eco 3 or higher (over 1000 watts while pedaling).

@Leon S. Kennedy Gates drives are incredibly unforgiving on lateral & angular alignment - 0.5° & 0.25°

There are other belt drive systems (including split belts) that have higher tolerances for misalignment - I think it probably in part has something to do with how the cogs keep the belt on the them & belt material/construction

Back