Known Issues & Problems with Voltbike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

@gcoop If you full throttle when the battery is low (around 2 bars), the motor will cut out temporarily. This is normal. The controller cuts power to protect the battery. When you PAS, the throttle isn't working as hard, which explains why don't notice the power cutoffs with PAS.

Tests you can do to diagnose:

1) Fully charge the battery. This should fix the problem.
2) Only half throttle. Cut off should not happen with less demand.

If your problems goes away with the above tests, then everything is normal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely follow through on the diagnosis tests but I generally bike about 30 kms in a day and I always fully charge the battery after every/all use.

Thanks again,

GC.

Hi,

Pretty disappointed as I've tried what you said and no remedy. Also, I tried contacting Volt Bikes a few days ago and I still haven't received any assistance. I had a quick look into the controller frame and just quickly assessed the wiring to see if anything was unplugged but didn't want to take everything out and "do something catastrophic" to the bike.

After that quick assessment and jiggle of the wires it seemed to work consistently for about 24 hours and then it just stopped working again.

Again, PAS works fine and thumb throttle sometimes works but not consistently. Uggggghhhhhhhh

GC.

Hi,

Pretty disappointed as I've tried what you said and no remedy. Also, I tried contacting Volt Bikes a few days ago and I still haven't received any assistance. I had a quick look into the controller frame and just quickly assessed the wiring to see if anything was unplugged but didn't want to take everything out and "do something catastrophic" to the bike.

After that quick assessment and jiggle of the wires it seemed to work consistently for about 24 hours and then it just stopped working again.

Again, PAS works fine and thumb throttle sometimes works but not consistently. Uggggghhhhhhhh

GC.
I am by no means an expert in topics such as these however it seems to me that if it's working sometimes, a loose connection or a dirty switch could be to blame. I do see that Voltbike sells the switches for $27 CDN. I'm not sure if there's a way to clean the switch however, electric parts/contact cleaner in a spray can has worked for me in different applications. Has the bike been in the rain ?

Possibly some condensation has resulted in a poor electrical contact somewhere. Anyways, I hope that it get's figured out for you.

Hi,

Thanks @westwood for your help. I spoke with George and he is sending me a new thumb throttle.

Hopefully, that's what it is but I don't think it's the throttle.

If anyone has a simple map of the wiring system for the Volt Yukon 750 Limited, I would love to have a copy so I can have a good look at the connections.

Thanks,

GC.

@gcoop This is what I was able to decipher when I overhauled my 750 limited. I swapped some of my connectors so your stock controller may look a slightly different. I called out the connectors I swapped. Hopefully this helps. Please note that this mapping is from my November 2016 model of the Yukon 750 Limited. Not sure if anything changed but just wanted to make sure this is clear before taking this as absolute :) Cheers!

IMG_3356.JPG

Hi Voltbike,

I was able to make a short video showing my observation in regards to the rear brake issue and the apparent wobble of the rotor, hub and cassette. I sent it to support at voltbike dot ca and will wait to hear back from the mechanic.

Thanks again !!

I am curious to hear you findings. I may have the same issue but I'm not bike savy.. Thought it was my brakes not lining up right. Not sure what to look for.

I am curious to hear you findings. I may have the same issue but I'm not bike savy.. Thought it was my brakes not lining up right. Not sure what to look for.

Well, as it turns out, all of the Mariners do this to a certain extent and this operation has been shown to be well within the normal tolerances.

Thanks again to Alex, George and the guys at Voltbike for the fantastic customer service I received !!

VOLTBIKE 750 Yukon Limited
My Son messaged me with a video clip of his display controller flashing the battery , no error code. The bike has been working perfectly since he has put around 907km = 563 miles on the bike and its been prefect. He rode it the other day no issues.. he charged the battery last night ( full charge ) and went to use the bike today to get a battery flashing indicator with no bars showing on the LCD Control Panel .. he unmounted and remounted the battery pack , no change.. The battery pack charge lights show FULL Charge state.... Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thank You

Last edited:
Hi, Voltbike owners...the controller on my Mariner no longer functions properly. The PAS works just fine, but it no longer shows my speed, or the distance travelled. I'm wondering if there is some way to reset the controller, or whether it needs to be replaced. I have about 450 km. on the bike.

I'd be grateful if anyone has some information for me. Thanks.
Ian in Lethbridge

That is what warranty is for. Contact Voltbikes I'm sure they will be glad to help.

At 450km it's probably still under warranty. In any event they will offer some solution.

VOLTBIKE 750 Yukon Limited
My Son messaged me with a video clip of his display controller flashing the battery , no error code. The bike has been working perfectly since he has put around 907km = 563 miles on the bike and its been prefect. He rode it the other day no issues.. he charged the battery last night ( full charge ) and went to use the bike today to get a battery flashing indicator with no bars showing on the LCD Control Panel .. he unmounted and remounted the battery pack , no change.. The battery pack charge lights show FULL Charge state.... Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thank You

George got back to me and will advise when new stock of LCD display units are in.. according to him the bike should operate normally .. just will not display correct battery voltage .. will update again when George contacts me back from Voltbike.

Hey,

This may or may not be covered under warranty (I certainly hope so).

I've ridden the bike for just over 400 miles over a few months and recently took it to a shop for a tune up.

What I thought was a squeaky pedal and stretched chain has turned out to be an incorrectly installed pedal arm that has ground itself out and is now permanently lose and a cassette that has ground out it's highest gear and now skips the chain constantly, making borderline unusable.

400 miles seems far too early for either of these to be normal wear. The bike has barely made it through half of a summer. I am not very hard on the bike, it's advertised as an aggressive mountain bike but it's wearing out fast with simple flat-land use.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hey,

This may or may not be covered under warranty (I certainly hope so).

I've ridden the bike for just over 400 miles over a few months and recently took it to a shop for a tune up.

What I thought was a squeaky pedal and stretched chain has turned out to be an incorrectly installed pedal arm that has ground itself out and is now permanently lose and a cassette that has ground out it's highest gear and now skips the chain constantly, making borderline unusable.

400 miles seems far too early for either of these to be normal wear. The bike has barely made it through half of a summer. I am not very hard on the bike, it's advertised as an aggressive mountain bike but it's wearing out fast with simple flat-land use.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry to hear:(
Can you upload some fotos of the offending part?
From what I've gathered from your post - correct me if I'm wrong - the crank arm (drive or non-drive side?) was incorrectly installed onto the center drive motor's spline (Square Taper?).
Please post updates.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear:(
Can you upload some fotos of the offending part?
From what I've gathered from your post - correct me if I'm wrong - the crank arm (drive or non-drive side?) was incorrectly installed onto the center drive motor's spline (Square Taper?).
Please post updates.
Good luck.

You are correct, the crank arms square bits are now pretty rounded. The motor side of the socket seems fine, which was a relief. The other crank arm doesn't have these issues.

I'm attaching a photo of the cassette , I can't really take a photo of the crank arm. I had them ratchet it in super hard at the shop so that I could continue using it (it's my daily commuter) and I don't actually have the large Allen wrench required to remove it (not packaged, which if its going to come loose is probably not great). If you look at the smallest gear you can see that the teeth are smoothed out in some cases to the point of just being mounds of metal compared to the rest of the cassette.

Attachments

• IMG_20170725_134959.jpg
    IMG_20170725_134959.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,607
Back