Known Issues & Problems with Voltbike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Certainly, I can go take a set of new photos if you need anything specific. The only part of the second photo that is damaged is the inner gear ring (the greasy dark teeth my finger is pointing at), it is what that other gear sits inside of and it ground out both the inner gears movable teeth and the outer gears corresponding fixed teeth. That outer gear is inside of a larger (lighter colored) metal housing that is then secured to the motors case. With the way it was assembled I am unsure it was ever intended to be taken back apart again, its stuck together pretty strongly, and thus captures and contains that inner gear. I might be able to get it apart too, I have never tried and I was uncertain if those parts would even be shipped separately anyway. That multi gear assembly contains no electric parts, its just part of the drive train. To be clear the lighter colored housing is in no way damaged. The only damage is the small gear with teeth in the left photo and the visibly damaged portion of that darker colored inner gear that surrounded it.

I am posting here because I do not see your private message. The only conversation in my inbox is from 2017 and i received no notification abut a PM. Sorry if I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks for emailing me your credentials over the email. We found your name and your order in our system. You purchased your bike early 2017 and I can see that during your 1 year of ownership we did mail you a few spare parts which appear that you successfully installed. It appears that you had a mechanical issue (broken gear and bearing) with your Bafang Mid-Drive motor after your warranty expired. You emailed us about this in July. It appears that we did not have those particular pieces available back then for what I apologize. I have to admit that those pieces are very specific to the Max Drive mid motor system and this is the first time I see failure. We managed to get those and they got shipped to you on Dec.4 to your address at MA, USA.

Thanks for emailing me your credentials over the email. We found your name and your order in our system. You purchased your bike early 2017 and I can see that during your 1 year of ownership we did mail you a few spare parts which appear that you successfully installed. It appears that you had a mechanical issue (broken gear and bearing) with your Bafang Mid-Drive motor after your warranty expired. You emailed us about this in July. It appears that we did not have those particular pieces available back then for what I apologize. I have to admit that those pieces are very specific to the Max Drive mid motor system and this is the first time I see failure. We managed to get those and they got shipped to you on Dec.4 to your address at MA, USA.

I've recieved the parts and they're just what I needed. Hopefully this can get me back on the road, thanks for the help!

is there an easy way to fix this?

Attachments

• 20190923_143939.jpg
    20190923_143939.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 461
Thanks, Ann for setting this up.

i have had my Yukon 500 since last November and already put roughly 1,000KM on it. Overall, very happy with it but i would like to share my experience.

i am in Toronto Canada and i mostly used it for commute (25KM one way mostly on bike trail with pretty flat terrain). Yukon 500 is perfect for this purpose and i have not had any major issues/repairs yet. below are just what i want to share with you out there.

• don't be over-confident in tire traction. I fell three times in winter with very little ice/snow on surface. Luckily no injury nor damage to bike. But do be very careful even in rains especially on newly paved surface, wooden or metal bridges. In early spring, you should be mindful that even most places are clear of ice, there could be left-over on trail and sometimes it looks perfectly ok when you survey some stretches during the day, but rain could turn into ice overnight and pose challenges
  • get a big horn because this thing can easily go over 35Km and you would want people to hear you when you are zooming along, especially now there are a lot of people wearing headphones and think they own the trail
  • four minor issues i had with the bike:
  1. the left crank arm got loose around 300KM and i tightened it up myself. but it got loose again a few days later. I took it to a bike shop and the guy helping me used a long wrench to tighten it up and after that no issue. I guess I did not put enough torque when i did it first time.
  2. being new to bike, i did a silly thing when i had my monthly check. I noticed a few screws were loose and tightened up. did not know those are limit screws on rear derailleur. after that i realized that i cannot upshift to the highest gear and this went on for a few days until i googled and found out. did an adjustment and it worked like magic. now every gear works perfectly
  3. the small cable leading up to the front LED light got loose a few times and it is not easy to put it back on properly. I thought it will not work but i did manage to put it back on. After that, i marked the two wires with colors so i know which side each needs to go if it does fall again
  4. the disc brakes are rubbing since day one (cannot tell it is front or rear, maybe both), but this is a known issue for disc brake and it is not bothering me. but i do intend to have it checked when i do a tune-up next time in a shop
Hi; Just wanted to comment on your post to try to help. Full disclosure, I've done all those errors at one time or another, but have learned through 60 some odd years of riding. Time to pay forward.
The disc brake is probably not in line with the disc. Put the bike upside down resting on seat and handlebars. This can be done by standing beside the bike, applying the rear brake hard and pulling back on the handlebars to cause the bike to rotate back over the rear wheel till it settles on the handlebars. Look down on the disc and see if it is running parallel through the brake pads. There should be a slight gap on both sides of the pads. See www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Hydraulic-Bicycle-Brakes for procedure.
For any fastener that comes loose apply Blue lock tite, and tighten to spec. Using a bigger wrench can cause further trouble with some fasteners.
Take pictures of how things are assembled before disassembly.
And about getting a bigger horn...my advise is to slow down when passing pedestrians to a speed that no matter what they do (suddenly step sideways into your path at the last second) you will be able to stop. Think children, older folks who are hard of hearing, people who think they are the only person using the trail today etc etc. Try to give them some warning from a distance. Nothing shuts down a trail to bike use faster than a broken pedestrian.
The tire pressure can be lowerred to 15-20lb. to increase traction, especially in the front.
Most of all, ride it.

Hi folks,

I've had an issue with a new Voltbike Kodiak that is now resolved, but it was a bit tricky to figure out, so I want to share.

My issue was that the PAS was dropping out intermittently for no reason.

I confirmed the following:
  • Magnet wheel on bottom bracket installed in the correct rotational direction
  • Magnet wheel to Hall Effect Sensor gap within tolerance (1-2mm gap)
  • Red LED on Hall effect Sensor triggers properly (steady light pedaling in reverse, intermittent light, synced to magnets passing sensor, pedaling forward)
Also, the throttle kept working fine the whole time.

I contacted Volt by phone a few times and after a week or 10 days, and a little back and forth, they sent me a new PAS sensor to try.

I actually never got a chance to install the PAS sensor. to change the PAS Sensor I discovered I needed a crank puller and a bottom bracker shell tool to get the old PAS sensor off.

Before heading out to the local bike shop to buy those tools, I carefully inspected the motor controller connector for the PAS. What I found, was that one of the wires for the connector for the PAS on the motor controller was not fully pushed into the connector, see image below. To fix the issue I picked the hot glue/water proofing off of the back of the connector. This caused the middle crimp terminal on the middle wire to fall out of the connector. I pushed it back in, and felt the barbs on the crimp engage with the connector body. Then I put everything back together, and so far it's working well.

So the initial issue was an assembly problem on the Voltbike motor controller wiring harness.

Voltbike told me to bring the bike in (I'm in Vancouver so not too far from the Port Coquitlam showroom warehouse) but I didn't really have a good way to get an 80lb bike 30km and then get myself home, without the bike!

Also they told me they'd need it for 3-5 days to fix it. I'm using the bike, and the throttle was working so that didn't really work for me either.

So like I said, the issue is resolved, but only after I took off the motor controller cover twice and went over the connectors. And the issue was a quality issue from the factory.

Voltbike service was helpful, but they're very busy and this issue (which was a quality escape on their part) was had to diagnose remotely.

I hope nobody else has this problem, but if they do, I hope this helps.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_1839_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1839_LI.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 261
To prevent the control buttons from breaking, put a thin layer of gorilla tape on the edge so it can’t be caught on anything, my thumb has bumped it a few times and it flexes upwards, will only do that so many times before it breaks, does not affect button operation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 300
Back