Known Issues & Problems with Voltbike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Interesting that you should raise the issue of tire pressure, Ashley64. I was chatting with one of the lads in a local bikeshop (Lethbridge AB) about finding a longer seat post with a built in shock absorber, as I had to swap the one that came with the bike for a longer (but non-absorbing) one. He asked what pressure I was running in the tires. "24 psi", I replied, and he raised his eyebrows. Typically, fat tires run at 5-6 psi, he told me...better for both comfort and traction. I was a bit surprised, so I did a little research, and it seems that fat tire bikes ride and race at around 5 psi, but are most efficient on pavement at 23-25 psi. I suggest a little online research to determine what might be best for your conditions. I've dropped my tire pressure to about 12 psi to see what happens. Perhaps @Voltbike will weigh in on this. I'll look forward to hearing of your experiences.

I've pumped mine to 20 psi but not had a chance to ride yet. Anything below this seems far too low for road use.

@Stoker283
I would look at a different tire. Vee's have been pretty good. Also there are some heavier tubes floating around on Amazon.. Mr. Tuffy liners 3x's would be another alternate. Flat's are a bummer. Too hi pressure can be a problem and too low as well. Just depends on the terrain and intended use. Lots of options depending on your price range.

I've pumped mine to 20 psi but not had a chance to ride yet. Anything below this seems far too low for road use.

Just be cautious not to drop the tire pressure too low if riding on pavement / roadways a lot, as you will prematurely wear your tires and you will get less battery efficiency due to more rolling resistance.. otherwise experiment what works best for you ! Cheers and happy riding !

Just be cautious not to drop the tire pressure too low if riding on pavement / roadways a lot, as you will prematurely wear your tires and you will get less battery efficiency due to more rolling resistance.. otherwise experiment what works best for you ! Cheers and happy riding !

They're at 20 psi and feel great now.

Hey, I have a new issue on my Voltbike Enduro.

I don't know if its a problem with the sensor package, computer, or motor, but when I stop pedaling the bike itself decides I wasn't finished after all and just keeps turn my pedals. It'll go for a round or two before stopping of its own accord if I have removed my feet. The sensor is either not cutting out or the motor isn't letting go of something. It's very surprising and jarring and it's doing it a lot now.

I can fight it and stop it from turning the pedals most of the time and I've gotten used to hitting the break lightly to force the motor to cut, but it's unsafe and I'm worried this could be causing or the result of damage to the motor or gearing somehow.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Hy guys,
Just to let you know, yesterday, shortly after hitting the 600km mark, on my way home from work, the pin that locks my Mariner 2018 frame in place detached and felt somewhere. I did not realize until this morning when I tried to leave for work and the bike's frame opened! You can find some photos attached, please double check yours in well fitted and snug in place! I have wrote an email to Voltbike Support and waiting for them to reply. I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_081937990.jpg
    IMG_20180607_081937990.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,028
  • IMG_20180607_081957133.jpg
    IMG_20180607_081957133.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_20180607_082037207.jpg
    IMG_20180607_082037207.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,070
  • IMG_20180607_082211066.jpg
    IMG_20180607_082211066.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,057
How did it even come out? I wonder if the pin broke allowing smaller pieces to rattle out. Keep us posted on the fix. The Mariner is on my short list along with the Yukon.

Hi!

I was riding the Voltbike Mariner using the throttle and suddenly the bike turned itself off. Has anyone experienced this?

@PCDoctorUSA Yes, after 3 emails (no answer to the first two!) and 3 weeks waiting time I finally received the pin yesterday! I must confess that I am very disappointed with Voltbike support and their lack of responsiveness and consideration for their clients! I had to mention legal actions on my last email to get their attention and I was really on the verge to do it! This was the second time they ignored my emails and they always come up with the excuse they are too busy shipping bikes to customers! I really hope I will never need Voltbike support again because it will take forever to fix the problem... :(
Regarding the frame locking pin issue I had, please check yours and make sure it is well fitted in place because the odds to come off are pretty high given the poor design. The pin is kept in place by a little screw that puts pressure on it. There is no hole in the pin to accommodate the screw (as on the latch side) so I suggest filling the bottom access hole with something (I used hot glue) to prevent it from falling.

@PCDoctorUSAI really hope I will never need Voltbike support again because it will take forever to fix the problem...
I really liked my test ride of the Mariner, but the post-sale support issues have me concerned with Voltbike. Not sure how they can be busy boxing up bikes when they don't have any inventory. Seems like now would be a good idea to get caught up on open support cases.

In Seattle this week, so I made a detour this morning to Rad Power Bikes store and test rode both the RadRover and the RadMini. I'll have to admit that the RadMini has a lot of pep. I tested it up a 10% grade and with me peddling with medium effort and on PAS 5 I was able to maintain between 8-9 mph. That $400 shipping fee is still a sticking point with me. I'm going to check the Rad's reviews again.

Quick question? I just bought a Voltbike Elegant which i subsequently received damaged. It is currently at the LBS awaiting parts. As I have not actually got to familiarize myself with the bike I have a question. When I turned it on, the indicator lights flashed on then turned off. Is this normal? Are the indicator lights supposed to stay on? I emailed Voltbike support but did not receive a reply. Can anyone help with this?

Quick question? I just bought a Voltbike Elegant which i subsequently received damaged. It is currently at the LBS awaiting parts. As I have not actually got to familiarize myself with the bike I have a question. When I turned it on, the indicator lights flashed on then turned off. Is this normal? Are the indicator lights supposed to stay on? I emailed Voltbike support but did not receive a reply. Can anyone help with this?
Are you talking about the display panel (the one that shows the PAS level and speed), or about the battery level indicator on the battery itself?
The panel should stay on, the battery charge level on the battery will briefly light on when you press the power button on it and then stay off.
Good luck getting an answer from Voltbike support!

I really liked my test ride of the Mariner, but the post-sale support issues have me concerned with Voltbike. Not sure how they can be busy boxing up bikes when they don't have any inventory. Seems like now would be a good idea to get caught up on open support cases.

In Seattle this week, so I made a detour this morning to Rad Power Bikes store and test rode both the RadRover and the RadMini. I'll have to admit that the RadMini has a lot of pep. I tested it up a 10% grade and with me peddling with medium effort and on PAS 5 I was able to maintain between 8-9 mph. That $400 shipping fee is still a sticking point with me. I'm going to check the Rad's reviews again.
RadMini was on my list too, I like it a lot and given the awful customer experience I had with Voltbike I regret not going with it! I would have gladly payed 300CAD more to get a quick support instead of waiting for weeks for an answer!
RadMini shares the same motor and wheels with the Mariner, but it has 7 speed (Mariner has only 6), a better battery (14Ah vs 11.6Ah ) and the handlebar seems to be more ergonomic. The Mariner is pretty powerful too, but I guess the top speed and the range would be higher on RadMini. Try them both if you have a chance and let us know your decision. Good luck!

Are you talking about the display panel (the one that shows the PAS level and speed), or about the battery level indicator on the battery itself?
The panel should stay on, the battery charge level on the battery will briefly light on when you press the power button on it and then stay off.
Good luck getting an answer from Voltbike support!
The battery. Thanks for answering my question.
I think their support team is spread pretty thin.

For support it seems like you get a better response to phone calls than emails. I know that sounds strange in the internet era but different companies handle things differently.

For support it seems like you get a better response to phone calls than emails. I know that sounds strange in the internet era but different companies handle things differently.

The sad truth, I think, is it's harder to evade phone calls when the caller could be a new customer, not an old one with a problem. I bought an Elegant in February. Lots of mostly minor "fit and finish" issues, with most emails ignored. 1:1 success rate making a cold call.

The sad truth, I think, is it's harder to evade phone calls when the caller could be a new customer, not an old one with a problem. I bought an Elegant in February. Lots of mostly minor "fit and finish" issues, with most emails ignored. 1:1 success rate making a cold call.

The trick I used to get responses was just just call the sales number.

Last edited:
The trick I used to get responses was just just call the sales number. They don't even pick up that one half the time, but the support number might as well be a wire connected to a trash can for all the times they've ever picked up on it.

I only saw one long distance ph. no. on their website: 1 (800) 350-4840. Is that the "sales" one?

Back