Known Issues & Problems with Trek Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Trek as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Not really a defect, but the Bosche CX drive system in my Powerfly 7 is way too nice for a simple 5 bar battery gauge - what were they thinking? They really should upgrade the 5-bar battery gauge and add cadence to the display, with a firmware update that also improves the "range" estimate calculations.

The tubes that the Powerfly 7 ships with should have had a removable core to allow us to add Slime or other flat tire preventative. I replaced the tubes and kept the originals as my spares in my Camelback.

At this price, the rear hydraulic brake line and rear derailleur cable should have run through the frame.

They should have included a better padded seat on a dropper post with the Powerfly 7 as well. I suspect that the thinner seat is to make it easier to shift one's weight behind the seat when it's at full height for efficient pedaling. A thicker aftermarket seat by itself has to be moved up higher for efficient pedaling, since it compresses with one's weight when sitting. But then when you stand up on the pedals to shift your weight back, then the thicker seat is in the way.

I purchased an XM700+ about a month ago and have 200 miles on it. I initially noted the front fender was rattling, so I inserted foam rubber between the fender and the headtube. That eliminated the rattle. However, there was still a loud noise when I hit large pot holes or depressions in the road. The mechanic adjusted the front brake, but that didn’t work. When I lift the front wheel and drop it the noise is not evident. I can’t find anything that might be generating the noise and of course the origin of noise is sometimes difficult to determine in some situations. I am tempted to remove the front fender and see it that is still the issue, but everything seems tight in that area.

So I am reaching out to see if anyone with an XM700+ has experienced this issue?

Sort of a random thought, but is the shock on the front fork adjusted to be more loose or soft? You can twist that barrel at the top to stiffen the resistance. I expect your bike shop guy knows this, of course, but I don't know what else it might be. I've got 1200 miles on mine and it's quiet, no rattles or bangs unless I really whack a pothole hard.

You may just be bottoming out that shock... there's not a ton of travel in it, but try tightening it down.

Good point, I forgot to mention that I had the shock adjusted for maximum travel and minimum travel. It didn't make any difference either way.

Well, that's all I had! Hope you figure it out and let us know. I absolutely love this bike, ride almost every day. Not for commuting, just for the pleasure of it.

I have a XM 700 with 2,000 miles on it. The fork Crown suspension sometimes makes a sharp pop when actuated in a certain way, as when hitting a stone, or a big crack. Whoops! I have it at its firmest setting, BTW. Was scary at first, but now I think that's how it works, and it is indeed working.

As far as a suspension seatpost, I have a fun Buster. I like it, it softens the ride.

I love my track XM 700 plus. Best wishes to all, David

The seatpost is a Thud Buster, not a fun buster. Sorry for the error.
My noise problem when running over cracks, pot holes, etc. has been solved. I removed the front fender and all is silent! The two supports from each side of the fender running to the fork are responsible. The nuts that hold them were fully tight when the noise was present. For now I am leaving the front fender off as I would rather have a noise free ride than a few splashes off the front wheel when I encounter a puddle, which is almost never.

Front fork shock has the setting on the front, rule of thumb to start is use rubber ring to set at 20% just by sitting. The rear shock is ? 1 psi per pound of body weight? I use the 20% rule there as well to start and dial it more/less depending on how I feel about it. Both shocks have max settings though that should not be exceeded. Your local Trek dealer should be helping dial you in. Seat post shocks are just too scary for me to ever have tried even on my greenway bikes.

Just got my XM700. GREAT bike! The bottom of the chain rattled as it bounced up and down the over small bumps. It's right where it comes out of the crank. After the shop turned the derailleur clutch on it does it less frequently but it still rattles over bigger bumps. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I had a problem with the front fork at 1800 miles on the Trek 700+. I don't know exactly what happened, but my bike shop said it was unsafe to ride and I was lucky they caught it. Trek replaced the fork so I hope all is well. While it was in the shop they replaced the chain and told me to start checking it every 800 miles or so. Apparently the ebikes put more pressure on the chain.

...While it was in the shop they replaced the chain and told me to start checking it every 800 miles or so. Apparently the ebikes put more pressure on the chain.
I had my shop (also mostly a Trek shop) check my Haibike chain at 500 miles ... the stretch was minimal so they said I apparently have good shifting skills ... I definitely ease off on the pedaling when I shift even though Bosch supposedly has shift detection. The shop told me they have to replace some chains at 1,000 miles because of inordinate wear. I've decided to check mine every 500 miles and I'll probably replace them sooner than most people might otherwise. I'd rather spend a bit more money on chains vs take the risk of a broken chain in a rough neighborhood in the dark on my commute.

Alan Acock. Did the front end wobble at all? I took my hands off the handlebars briefly and as my weight went back the front end wobbled pretty bad. It never happened before. Thanks (everyone)

I purchased an XM700+ about a month ago and have 200 miles on it. I initially noted the front fender was rattling, so I inserted foam rubber between the fender and the headtube. That eliminated the rattle. However, there was still a loud noise when I hit large pot holes or depressions in the road. The mechanic adjusted the front brake, but that didn’t work. When I lift the front wheel and drop it the noise is not evident. I can’t find anything that might be generating the noise and of course the origin of noise is sometimes difficult to determine in some situations. I am tempted to remove the front fender and see it that is still the issue, but everything seems tight in that area.

So I am reaching out to see if anyone with an XM700+ has experienced this issue?

I have a note about my XM 700+ a bit lower where the front fork had to be replaced. I still get this same (apparently) noise on a rough road. I wonder if it has something to do with the front shock absorber. It is irritating to have this noise on what should be a quiet ride.

Alan Acock. Did the front end wobble at all? I took my hands off the handlebars briefly and as my weight went back the front end wobbled pretty bad. It never happened before. Thanks (everyone)
Yes! You could hold the front tire straight and there was still quite a bit of play in the handle bar.

I recently purchased a Trek Verve+. I love it. However, when riding on rough pavement, it sounded like a bag of tin cans! The Verve+ has rugged metal fenders which appeared to be the culprit. I had some thin, rubber strips that are used to 'thicken' a narrow handlebar or seatpost so as to attach accessories that tighten around the bar. I loosened all the connections that hold the fenders on the Verve+, inserted a small piece of the rubber strip, and reattached the fenders. Voila! Rattles eliminated. A relatively quiet eBike as I overtake other riders. ;)

Back