Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Blox is a display from Brose and was used by Specialized so as to get product to market quickly. Blox works fine but when Specialized wanted Mission Control it exceeded what Blox can do, hence TCD-W to be developed.

No, not at all!

It's BLOKS, not Blox. And it wasn't from Brose.
It was in development by the company BLOKS, a German startup working for other ebike companies as well, ordered by Specialized. The development was never finished, postponed several times until the insolvency of BLOKS stopped the development finally.

No, not at all!

It was in development by the company BLOKS, a German startup working for other ebike companies as well, ordered by Specialized. The development was never finished, postponed several times until the insolvency of BLOKS stopped the development finally.
This is what I had understood as well. BLOKS insolvency forced Specialized to pivot to a new display and restart work on a new app frustrating many customers and dealers as well.

No, not at all!

Good correction, my mistake. I knew it was a separate company and have seen it on other Brose powered product. Falsely assumed it was affiliated with Brose.

Blox is a display from Brose and was used by Specialized so as to get product to market quickly. Blox works fine but when Specialized wanted Mission Control it exceeded what Blox can do, hence TCD-W to be developed.

Tell the LBS what you just told me, I'd say that's covered under the warranty. If they push back maybe meet them halfway and split the cost? Worst case pay for the upgrade and be done with it.

Took your advice. Got it done for $110. Software says Vado 4.0 even though I have 2.0. I now get 28mph.

My Turbo Como 5.0 with a just over a thousand miles on it has developed a glitch that nobody can fix so far, after a month in the shop.

The bike turns on and goes through its startup cycle. I start pedaling with assist and, after about 200 feet, the motor cuts out. Lights and display stay on. No error message. Turn bike off. Turn back on again. Same go and then no motor. Very repeatable.

My LBS has, after contacting Specialized, replaced the entire wiring harness, updated the software, changed out the battery, and, so far, no joy. I've searched this forum and haven't seen this particular failure mode. Any ideas?

Watched a video on their emtb that showed a wire loom being pinched by one of the motor covers. Maybe something along those lines.

My Turbo Como 5.0 with a just over a thousand miles on it has developed a glitch that nobody can fix so far, after a month in the shop.

The bike turns on and goes through its startup cycle. I start pedaling with assist and, after about 200 feet, the motor cuts out. Lights and display stay on. No error message. Turn bike off. Turn back on again. Same go and then no motor. Very repeatable.

My LBS has, after contacting Specialized, replaced the entire wiring harness, updated the software, changed out the battery, and, so far, no joy. I've searched this forum and haven't seen this particular failure mode. Any ideas?

I had the same problem with my 2020 Como 4.0. Put 3000 miles on it with an occasional "Motor Error". Then one day the controller began reseting while pedaling. Worked fine on a bike stand with no rider on it. Replacing the wiring harness did not fix the problem. The dealer then put a whole new motor in it and everything worked perfectly for about 1000 miles. Not a single "Motor Error". Then it began reseting again and died. The battery light would turn on, but no front or rear lights. This bike has been in the shop for 8 out of the 18 months I've owned it.

its a long shot but my Vado 4.0 had serious issues with installing the battery. So I would start the ride with everything working then after hitting a bump the battery would come loose. Sometimes I would get a motor error in which case I would stop and pound the battery in with all my might. But sometimes I can ride on without issue but I look down and notice the battery is halfway out. No errors but weird display behaviour. Same solution hit the battery as hard as you can stand to try and get it to seat properly.
I changed the battery shim, filed the edges on the shim, used light grease on the shim and locking pin but these measures only helped slightly. I live in a condo and must remove my battery to charge it. So the good news is that after about 100 removals of the battery it seems to have worn in a bit and the problem has ALMOST disappeared.

its a long shot but my Vado 4.0 had serious issues with installing the battery. So I would start the ride with everything working then after hitting a bump the battery would come loose. Sometimes I would get a motor error in which case I would stop and pound the battery in with all my might. But sometimes I can ride on without issue but I look down and notice the battery is halfway out. No errors but weird display behaviour. Same solution hit the battery as hard as you can stand to try and get it to seat properly.
I changed the battery shim, filed the edges on the shim, used light grease on the shim and locking pin but these measures only helped slightly. I live in a condo and must remove my battery to charge it. So the good news is that after about 100 removals of the battery it seems to have worn in a bit and the problem has ALMOST disappeared.
I'm also a big fan of plastic friendly electrical contact cleaners. They've resolved intermittent issues on both of our V5s. No panacea, but it's pretty cheap.

Thanks for all the replies. I've forwarded them to my LBS.

I'm fairly certain it's not the battery or a pinched wire because the failure events are constant and don't correlate with bumps. I turn the bike on, start riding, and after about 200 feet, it turns off. Every time, smooth surface or not. I've never removed the battery, after the first day when I wanted to see how it was done. The LBS replaced the battery with a spare and the bike still shut off after the same amount of time.

The fact that the LBS has replaced the entire wiring harness makes me think that contact cleaners (which I also highly endorse) are not the solution. I'd guess it's something defective on a circuit board somewhere.

I'm very bummed to read of Edison 20's experience of having his Como in a shop for 8 months out of the last 18. That's awful! I chose Specialized because of the great EBR video review of the Como 5.0 as well as the fact that the owner of my LBS used to work at Specialized corporate and assured me that they really stand behind their bikes. Are other brands experiencing this kind of track record? Is anyone keeping track of e-bikes' downtime?

I may have to go back to sheer leg power, which at age 76 isn't a great solution in San Francisco! At least I can repair conventional bikes, all but broken frames, myself and without a laptop.

does anyone know where the Di2 battery is located on a Turbo Creo Expert Evo with dropper post?

Typically it's inside the seatpost but that's not possible with a dropper I don't think, maybe underneath in the seat sube?

Specialized does stand behind their product but the dealer needs to be solutions oriented and have a good field rep too. Some dealers will fight with the brand rather than work with them to take care of the end consumer as quickly as possible.

We had a motor failure, I started a warranty claim, correctly and with pics, within 72hrs I had a new motor on the way and the customer back out the door in 7 business days. Still 7 days longer than we'd like, sure, but that's pretty impressive.

Regarding working on their bikes and the Brose system, it's pretty darn easy and there's a huge team at Specialized just for e-bike support. I'm pretty impressed.

Edit: Please don't read into that comment about working with Specialized in your particular situation @Lectric Bill sounds like you've got a great shop.

Thanks for all the replies. I've forwarded them to my LBS.

I'm fairly certain it's not the battery or a pinched wire because the failure events are constant and don't correlate with bumps. I turn the bike on, start riding, and after about 200 feet, it turns off. Every time, smooth surface or not. I've never removed the battery, after the first day when I wanted to see how it was done. The LBS replaced the battery with a spare and the bike still shut off after the same amount of time.

The fact that the LBS has replaced the entire wiring harness makes me think that contact cleaners (which I also highly endorse) are not the solution. I'd guess it's something defective on a circuit board somewhere.

I'm very bummed to read of Edison 20's experience of having his Como in a shop for 8 months out of the last 18. That's awful! I chose Specialized because of the great EBR video review of the Como 5.0 as well as the fact that the owner of my LBS used to work at Specialized corporate and assured me that they really stand behind their bikes. Are other brands experiencing this kind of track record? Is anyone keeping track of e-bikes' downtime?

I may have to go back to sheer leg power, which at age 76 isn't a great solution in San Francisco! At least I can repair conventional bikes, all but broken frames, myself and without a laptop.
Eric's Bikes repaired my 2020 Como 4.0. Said I blew a fuse and they also installed an in-line circuit received from Specialized. I don't know if the circuit was related to the blown fuse or not. Any how, the bike is working and the problem was not the motor. I've been reading all of the forums and have concluded that all electric bikes have problems and its difficult to say that one brand is more reliable than another. For example, Pedego may have fewer problems because their customers don't ride as much and visa vera for Specialized. So, unless you're handy and have a good set of tools, having a local bike shop that repairs electric bikes is an important factor in deciding which brand to buy. Having more than one bike also helps.

Well good news! I finally got my Como 4.0 back and it actually works. Only took 3 months.
LBS replaced wiring harness, speed sensor, display, and, the solution for all the problems: the motor.

The enormous time, as far as I can figure out, is from the horrible dealer service that they experienced from Specialized corporate.
Specialized needs to get their act together, restore what the dealer said was previously a great level of support, or they will lose sales in a big way.
Days would go by without any contact from either the warranty rep or their sales rep. Shameful!

Well good news! I finally got my Como 4.0 back and it actually works. Only took 3 months.
LBS replaced wiring harness, speed sensor, display, and, the solution for all the problems: the motor.

The enormous time, as far as I can figure out, is from the horrible dealer service that they experienced from Specialized corporate.
Specialized needs to get their act together, restore what the dealer said was previously a great level of support, or they will lose sales in a big way.
Days would go by without any contact from either the warranty rep or their sales rep. Shameful!

Can't comment on their rep situation, but it took me 72hrs for a replacement motor to be sent my way.

Back