Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I'd go with the chamois for all long rides even after your bike is 'dialed in'. Your 'you know what' will thank you. I also use a chamois cream when I'm riding longer distances multiple days in a row. Eliminates any chaffing for me.
Tim, let me "sell" you a long-distance cyclist trick for very warm days. You glue a sanitary napkin inside your chamois. Once that gets wet from sweat, you just dispose it. The trick is kept secret among the endurance riders with > 4 hour net ride time. Just saying. (No kidding!)

"Error motor" and "No battery" messages on Vado: Does it ring a bell for anyone?

I've seen the error motor about twice when I first got mine. Turn off and on and good to go. When you turn it on don't turn the pedals or do any adjustments til the display comes up, may help. 900 miles now and haven't seen it in a long while.

"Error motor" and "No battery" messages on Vado: Does it ring a bell for anyone?
Happened to me in FEB. Didn't have any motor power. Turned the bike off, waited ~30sec then restarted. OK to get me home. Sent the error log to Specialized through the app. Cleaned all the battery contacts back home. Hasn't happened since.

Had the firmware updated a week or two ago. The tech at the LBS did see the motor error I had uploaded but didn't find anything wrong. He said they get spurious reports like this that seem to be related to the bike needing a firmware update and/or the app needing needing a new rev downloaded. So far, so good.

Hello, I have just collected a 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0, used it all weekend (around 100km) and then this morning I have no power to the motor. I have all four lights green and no error messages yet zero power. I found this out at the bottom of a very steep hill on my commute. I have looked everywhere for guidance and cannot seem to find anyone with the same issue. If I hold down the + button the walk mode engages but little else. I have contacted the store I purchased it from but they said there were no issues when it left the store. Anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

Remove the battery and reinstall, power down and power up completely? Let it shut off for at least 30 seconds. Intermittent issues are usually related to connection.

Remove the battery and reinstall, power down and power up completely? Let it shut off for at least 30 seconds. Intermittent issues are usually related to connection.
Brendon, thank you for your quick response. I have removed the battery and left it overnight. I have powered down the bike and then powered it up. Unfortunately its still the same. This just seems not to work also.

I occasionally got "Error motor" until, after 3000 miles, it became permanent.
Dealer spent 6 months swapping parts, not no avail.
Finally gave me a whole new motor and I haven't had a "Error motor" since.
Now both pedals are coming loose and stripping the crank threads.

Brendon, thank you for your quick response. I have removed the battery and left it overnight. I have powered down the bike and then powered it up. Unfortunately its still the same. This just seems not to work also.
By "just collected" do you mean the bike is brand new? If so, it's a warranty issue your LBS should handle.

Do the electrical contacts on the bike or battery look discolored at all? I've had good results with a plastic friendly electrical contact cleaner. I spray the battery contacts with battery vertical then leave it vertical for any contaminants to drip off. I do the same for the bike when rotated past the vertical in the work stand. Others have recommended a dielectric grease though this might void any warranty.

Good luck

By "just collected" do you mean the bike is brand new? If so, it's a warranty issue your LBS should handle.

Do the electrical contacts on the bike or battery look discolored at all? I've had good results with a plastic friendly electrical contact cleaner. I spray the battery contacts with battery vertical then leave it vertical for any contaminants to drip off. I do the same for the bike when rotated past the vertical in the work stand. Others have recommended a dielectric grease though this might void any warranty.

Good luck
Hello, yes it is less than 3 days old and already I am having issues. Unfortunately because of the shortage of bikes situation, I had to order it from Scotland. I spoke to the store and they will uplift the bike and refund all the money. Seems like maybe they were expecting my call. Now I am without a bike. Thanks for coming back to me on this.

Hello, yes it is less than 3 days old and already I am having issues. Unfortunately because of the shortage of bikes situation, I had to order it from Scotland. I spoke to the store and they will uplift the bike and refund all the money. Seems like maybe they were expecting my call. Now I am without a bike. Thanks for coming back to me on this.
Hopefully this first experience won't sour you on ebikes. Many riders are very happy with their ebikes, as are we.

Hopefully this first experience won't sour you on ebikes. Many riders are very happy with their ebikes, as are we.
I am already searching around for a replacement but it looks like a long wait as everything is out of stock. The 100km I managed to get out of the bike I enjoyed so much that I cannot wait to find a replacement. I am told the first deliveries now on Specialized are November.

I am already searching around for a replacement but it looks like a long wait as everything is out of stock. The 100km I managed to get out of the bike I enjoyed so much that I cannot wait to find a replacement. I am told the first deliveries now on Specialized are November.

There's plenty of supply of service parts. When bikes are shipped to dealers there's a firmware update for the battery and TCD display that have to be performed. Should be a quick fix. Even if they need parts there's plenty of availability here in the states anyways. Chin up, hope they'll help you out quickly! Wish we were closer, I'd love to help!

waiting for a new display for the old BLOKS one that came with my Vado 3, bike shop says it will be at least another three months before they can get it , but it is part of the purchase and free install so I just have to wait .
But I really think I am missing lots by not being able to use mission control

waiting for a new display for the old BLOKS one that came with my Vado 3, bike shop says it will be at least another three months before they can get it , but it is part of the purchase and free install so I just have to wait .
But I really think I am missing lots by not being able to use mission control

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but 3 months!?!? Took me 5-7 business days to get our displays in. That said we're a couple weeks back in service work, but still...

You can't order the part like a normal service part, you have to go through your outside rep. It's a few extra steps, I just ordered 3 kits and they came in no prob. Maybe they're out now but I'd be surprised!

Hello,

I took my 2019 Vado 2.0 in to get serviced as the bloks display has an "!" and "0d" showing upon start. There's a ton of resistance at 19mph too. Additionally, the bloks display will periodically turn off, but the bike controls work just fine. The dealer just called me and shared that they tired a software update but the software will not recognize the bike. Has anyone had that experience?

Hello,

I took my 2019 Vado 2.0 in to get serviced as the bloks display has an "!" and "0d" showing upon start. There's a ton of resistance at 19mph too. Additionally, the bloks display will periodically turn off, but the bike controls work just fine. The dealer just called me and shared that they tired a software update but the software will not recognize the bike. Has anyone had that experience?

Updating the Blox display is "challenging" to say the least. Our shop computer wouldn't do it, personal laptop could, kind of. If you're up for it the TCD is worth every penny. Kind of funny since the Blox display is more appealing visually, but the TCD is bulletproof and works no problem with Mission Control.

Back