Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

The computer is just CRAP. I'm about to go on my 4th display. The backlight last about 3 months on average. Just terrible since LED's should last 5 years at least. And now that the Turbo S has met end of life. I would imagine Specialized will just draw from old inventory of poorly manufactured unites to replace them with.. rather then update them with quality LED components.

The computer is just CRAP.
I agree. It totally fails, so is a bad design from Specialized. And I mean Specialized. Are them who choose the components and their suppliers, so all the blame goes to them. Since I got my new LCD screen 2 months ago, I put the LCD to turn off after 5 seconds after touching the joystick, so with this option set, I hope it will last longer. I think the LED is not made to be on for long hours while we ride. Simple as that.

I think Specialized needs to make this right. They manufacture some of the best bikes in the world and the Turbo cost $7000. So far they've been good replacing it but it would nice if they could design it to last longer than 3 months. I ride at night time and find it really helpful to have a backlight. Also the fact that when you charge the bike there is no way to toggle the lights off doesn't help either. Total design flaw in my opinion.

Last edited:
The input for this thread was very useful. My LBS was selling a 2017 Turbo S for $3850, new with warranty. But after reading this thread, I don't know. The dealer tried to talk me into the new Specialized mid-drive, but I want the direct drive, like my Stromer.

I think Specialized needs to make this right. They manufacture some of the best bikes in the world and the Turbo cost $7000. So far they've been good replacing it but it would nice if they could design it to last longer than 3 months. I ride at night time and find it really helpful to have a backlight. Also the fact that when you charge the bike there is no way to toggle the lights off doesn't help either. Total design flaw in my opinion.

The design of the handlebar "Clean Cockpit" control is indeed design flaw. Other than the metal case surrounding the electronics, the same part is used on the base Turbo, 2015 Turbo X, 2016 Turbo X, and both early (SRAM) and later (Shimano) Turbo S. The case is different depending on whether the bike came with SRAM or Shimano shifters. On the SRAM versions, the ergonomics are terrible since the shifter, brake handle and controller are locked together and cannot be rotated separately around the handlebar. The 2016+ Shimano versions on the Turbo X and Turbo S are better in this respect since they use Shimano's integrated brake/shifter and the controller is separated. It also suffers from mechanical failures of the joystick and electrical failures of the backlight. Even when working properly, it is hard to read (backlit LCD), too small, and the joystick function doesn't work very well compared with pushbuttons.

While it should be redesigned, it ain't gonna happen. This technology has reached its "end of life" and it will be easier for Specialized to keep replacing the controllers rather than come up with a new design.

Notwithstanding, I love riding my Turbo.

After having to replace it 5 times, I traded my bike in for a Super Commuter S, while acceleration was much slower than the Turbo S, it gets much better range, is more comfy, and maintains a higher speed with less effort, its also less of a burden to pedal on very low assist or even with assist off.

Hi, In September of this year I purchased in New York bikeshop my specialized ebike the turbo 45KPH DRM 17 silver black (entry level bike basis) and bring to brazil with me, for my surprise after ride for 120 kilometers only my bike system stop to work after turn on the system . e.g if a hold the button for 2 second everything works well and the four leds work perfect according the manual and diagnostic perform as should, after pass for the last check last LED and the system turn off and I can't turn on the bike.

I looked at the diagnosis tree and followed the paths, took the battery off and plug it back and nothing, I realized if I keeping press the turn on button works well, but as soon take the finger out from the button turn off again.

I really need your support in this matter, I'm very committed to specialized brand that is my 4rd bike and had no issues before,
Could you please help me on this urgent matter?

thanks and best regards
Flavio

Hi, In September of this year I purchased in New York bikeshop my specialized ebike the turbo 45KPH DRM 17 silver black (entry level bike basis) ...
thanks and best regards
Flavio

Check if the metal contacts between in the battery or the bike are clean. If you see nothing obvious, your battery or something else on the bike may have to be replaced. Do you have an official Specialized dealer near you?

I accept that not bike is perfect and mine was sold to me as a "demonstrator" at a slightly reduced price (because I didn't like that idea I could have any colour I wanted as long as it was black). Either my Specialized Levo FSR is a very second hand demonstrator, or "no bike being perfect" translates to mine coming with most of the defects described in the 350+ item thread.

The electrics assist intermittently, there is slack in the crank, the software, when it works, has taken me 3 times down an expressway in Nigeria, although I have never been to Nigeria. It also measures different distances travelled on different days although the journey is identical. If I turn the electrics off, it stops measuring. My wife's Como 2 will measure distance and speed even without power assist. The seat rises to a level of its own choosing. It's a bit of misnomer to mention "power" and a little embarrassing to be passed regularly by riders of unpowered bikes. Power assist seems to cut in at 24kph and peddling is harder to compensate for the drag of the motor. I accept that it stops assisting at a set low speed but I never expected to feel like I am riding with a brake on.

I wish I had seen this thread and the experiences of others before I bought the bike. it would still be in the shop. Unlike so many other contributors to this thread I find it quite hard to experience all these challenges and still say "I love this bike." - I don't.

@Streetfyta sorry about the bad experience so far! I hope your dealer can make it right! I will say that you need to take forums like this with a grain of salt (same thing in the car world). You will hear many more complaints than reports of everything working fine. People seldom write in to say "nothing is wrong; bike works fine" but people are quick to chime in when they have problems. That said, when you pay top dollar for a premium bike like ours, I think you are right to expect it to work perfectly and for the dealer to quickly address any issues!

@Streetfyta sorry about the bad experience so far! I hope your dealer can make it right! I will say that you need to take forums like this with a grain of salt (same thing in the car world). You will hear many more complaints than reports of everything working fine. People seldom write in to say "nothing is wrong; bike works fine" but people are quick to chime in when they have problems. That said, when you pay top dollar for a premium bike like ours, I think you are right to expect it to work perfectly and for the dealer to quickly address any issues!
Thanks for your commentRoja,
I was hoping others on this site with similar experiences might have some suggestions.

For what it’s worth, my wife has a Specialized Como 2 and nothing is wrong, her bike works fine. Against that, her list price was less than half price of mine.My bike is presently with the dealer for “servicing” and I understand that at least the loud noise from the crank/motor area was easy to repair, something I see others on this site have challenges with. Time will tell. They also tell me they need to keep the bike a little longer until an “expert” can help “sort out a few problems.”

I remain somewhat disappointed, but optimistic. My wife on the other hand enjoys herComo and still thinks I bought a lemon.
:)

I purchased a new Turbo Levo Expert May 4, 2017 and received it May 10. I've been enjoying my rides. However, when climbing or when there is some tension, there is an intermittent click noise coming from within the motor casing. It sounds like something is making contact with the plastic casing although the motor seems to be running fine. I took the bike in to the dealer, but the technician there was not able to fix the problem after adjusting and tightening any of the screws on the bike. He did indicate that there is a tool needed to open up the motor casing which the shop does not have. Although the bike is running well, the click noise is both concerning and intolerable. Has anyone run into this type of symptom before? Any solutions?
I had the click noise, kind of like a loose pedal or bottom bracket click when rotating. After 2 motor replacements it works fine. Good thing my LBS is committed to making things right. It took a long time for it to be consistent enough for the tech at the LBS to be able to diagnose.

I had the click noise, kind of like a loose pedal or bottom bracket click when rotating. After 2 motor replacements it works fine. Good thing my LBS is committed to making things right. It took a long time for it to be consistent enough for the tech at the LBS to be able to diagnose.

This is a followup to my 9-25-17 report. My Levo FSR continues to operate reasonably well, after the firmware updates, though it still has intermittent issues with power loss on up-shifts. It doesn't matter much on easy trails, but on uphill rugged trails, it can be alarming. It is a high-end mountain bike, of course, and should be very reliable off road. I visited a bike store in Europe, while on a recent trip, and was told that the Brose motors have had a problem with overheating, and there is supposedly a redesign in the offing. The Mission Control app is increasingly unreliable. It shuts off frequently, defaults to metric all the time, and doesn't record rides consistently. In January, 2018, I wrote to the President of Specialized, and asked for service support and a fix for the Mission Control. Didn't even get an acknowledgement of my letter. I think that says it all. So...if you buy a Specialized E-Bike, you may receive a defective product, and it's a must to have a reliable dealer to sort it out. The Mission Control app is something that only Specialized can sort out, and do whatever update is needed to make it reliable, which it was initially, before they messed around with software updates last year. I'm not optimistic, as the company has not shown any interest in customer satisfaction.

Hello , I need your help. has any of you experienced this problem?

Specialized turbo s 2014 out of warranty.

As soon as I turn on the Battery the motor starts to accelerate without pedaling. I can still use the joystick to eco mode and still be accelerating although at an eco mode speed. It will go to its top speed. The motor will cut off at No assist mode, regen mode and when I press the rear break. When its on turbo and eco mode, when I press the rear break it will stop the motor and as soon as I release the break it will accelerate again.

To cut it short. Main problem is, as soon as I press the power button on the battery and detected the motor(first green light) it will start to accelerate.

I need your help. Thanks

Hello Guys and Gals,

I have a very uplifting Update regarding my Specialized Turbo S 2014 Problem!

Thursday 4-22-2018, I emailed Specialized stating the problem I have. I told them that I am not the original owner and no warranty.

The next day, got a reply from Specialized Representative.
"
Hello P!

Thank you for reaching out! What shop are you working with? I will have our warranty and service rep reach out to help solve this issue. I look forward to your response!

Best,

Name Deleted for Privacy"

So,I emailed him my LBS (Unsuccessful attempt to repair for a week).where I initially sent the bike for repair.

He emailed me back with a recommendation that I go to another LBS (Bicycles NYC) near my place because that shop already dealt with the same problem as mine.

So I called the shop and asked if they can help me. A very Nice person told me "Yes, but we need to change parts inside the MOTOR".
So I told him, I don't have warranty and I am not the original owner. So he told me, He will Call his man at Specialized and call me back for the price of the parts.

He called me less than 5 mins later and told me "Specialized will Honor the Warranty!" I was Shocked! Again I told him. I don't have warranty and I am not the Original Owner" and He Said "Yes, I told them that. and They will still Honor the Warranty, Just get in the shop and we need to take the serial no so we can order the New MOTOR"

At that point, I went to the shop immediately and they took the serial and told me that they will give me a call as soon as the motor arrives.

Specialized did me solid here. I am so pleased. I heard a lot of bad stuff regarding specialized customer service. but this experience of mine is definitely not one of them. I will continue to patronized/support the company and recommend them for sure.

I will update again as soon as I heard back from the shop.

Best,
Paul

Last edited:
We usually hear the "bad" stories about product support on forums, so it is nice to hear about a company that goes "above and beyond" expectations. Thanks for sharing your story.

Very interesting that Specialized got back to you. Hasn't happened for me. No response from Ridercare, no return phone calls, no acknowledgement of letter to President of company. At least you found someone there that took the initiative to help you. If anyone has an update on the Mission Control app, please let me know. Thanks.

I noted in another thread that Specialized has changed the description of the Vado 3.0 (on their website) to eliminate any mention of Mission Control. This happened somet8me in the last month or so. Meaning...?

Back