Known Issues & Problems with Specialized Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

My LCD background light died after 2 months of use too. It has been replaced before for the same issue. I am tired of going back to the dealer for this kind of minor things. In your case, try to unplug-replug the LCD connector to see if comes back to life.
Tried to unplug and replug the connector, it was definitely dead.
I plugged it in with my wife base Turbo and it her display worked fine, I then swapped my broken display for hers and it was dead on her bike.

My LBS got me a new unit under warranty.

I had a similar issue with mine three days into ownership, Specialized got it put right working with my dealer. I noticed that it was more noticeable while the battery was full or within 15% of full charge. The good thing is your bought a Specialized their warranty and customer service is second to none.

I purchased a new Turbo Levo Expert May 4, 2017 and received it May 10. I've been enjoying my rides. However, when climbing or when there is some tension, there is an intermittent click noise coming from within the motor casing. It sounds like something is making contact with the plastic casing although the motor seems to be running fine. I took the bike in to the dealer, but the technician there was not able to fix the problem after adjusting and tightening any of the screws on the bike. He did indicate that there is a tool needed to open up the motor casing which the shop does not have. Although the bike is running well, the click noise is both concerning and intolerable. Has anyone run into this type of symptom before? Any solutions?

Hello - had the exact same problem with Spec Levo FSR Expert (New Feb 2017)...I suspected electrical fault and swapped battery with a hire bike. It wasn't the battery so proved a mechanical problem,returning to shop tomorrow for investigation as I suspect motor? However....
On washing the bike the bearing end facing you on the rear cassette is wobbling badly when you try to move it by hand....bearing collapsed perhaps???
Will update with result. Whatever it turns out to be mimicked your decription of fault perfectly.

I purchased a new Turbo Levo Expert May 4, 2017 and received it May 10. I've been enjoying my rides. However, when climbing or when there is some tension, there is an intermittent click noise coming from within the motor casing. It sounds like something is making contact with the plastic casing although the motor seems to be running fine. I took the bike in to the dealer, but the technician there was not able to fix the problem after adjusting and tightening any of the screws on the bike. He did indicate that there is a tool needed to open up the motor casing which the shop does not have. Although the bike is running well, the click noise is both concerning and intolerable. Has anyone run into this type of symptom before? Any solutions?
I believe that clicking noise may be the torque sensor in the motor. My wife's base Turbo does the exact same thing. I think there is a little bit of "slack" or movement in the drivetrain so it can sense how much pressure you are applying with the pedals. Something like that maybe?

This may be a new one. I must have tapped the front fender on my Vado with my foot. All of the sudden it seemed like something was wrong with my front break. I got off as soon as I could and the soft rubber part of the fender had folded itself between the tire and the more rigid part of the bumper. It's pretty bad as the tire chewed right through it as you can see.

Attachments

• Fender.JPG
    Fender.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,197
Last edited:
Was this issue solved? I have exactly the same issue now: rattling noise from within the motor. With or without battery (power) it rattles with every turn of the crank. It started when I had to brake for some pedestrians, nothing special. Have only ridden 200km on it, trails and normal road. Still get power but the sound is awefull. Will return it to my dealer but hope I can help them with some experiences from this forum. So anyone any idea of the cause of rattling motor sounds from the brose motors? I have the specialized turbo levo ht 2018. It has the 1.2 motor in it. Thanks, wainando

Reluctantly to leave the bike in the dealer and wait for like a month to get a replacement, we agreed that they will send me the new LCD screen so I could replace it myself. Here's the LCD replacement. You just have to remove 2 screws, pop out the old LCD from the metal frame, pop-in the new one and that's it. I set up the light using the C + 3 seconds the power button + selecting the option Back light Off after 5 seconds, so this time the light won't have to be all the time on while on the road (about 2 hours per day). Let's see how long this time lasts.
image_lcd_replacement.png

Reluctantly to leave the bike in the dealer and wait for like a month to get a replacement, we agreed that they will send me the new LCD screen so I could replace it myself. Here's the LCD replacement. You just have to remove 2 screws, pop out the old LCD from the metal frame, pop-in the new one and that's it. I set up the light using the C + 3 seconds the power button + selecting the option Back light Off after 5 seconds, so this time the light won't have to be all the time on while on the road (about 2 hours per day). Let's see how long this time lasts.
View attachment 18005

The backlight on my display is broken again. My dealer told me that the display is only covered for 12 months warranty and, even though it was replaced as faulty about 6 months after I bought the bike, the warranty is from the date of purchase not the date of replacement and if I want to replace the screen it will cost nearly $200 NZD! So I've left it as it is. The display still works in the daytime but can't see it in the dark at all. They are clearly not up to the job and Specialized should really be prepared to replace them or replace them with a screen that actually works and does not break.

Do you know how much they cost to replace in other countries? Perhaps I could try ordering one from overseas.

I got my display replace twice. I brought my 2016 Turbo S late winter 2015. First time they replaced my display at summer 2016 and 3 month later backlight went out again and they replaced it again. My second display works since then.

Was this issue solved? I have exactly the same issue now: rattling noise from within the motor. With or without battery (power) it rattles with every turn of the crank. It started when I had to brake for some pedestrians, nothing special. Have only ridden 200km on it, trails and normal road. Still get power but the sound is awefull. Will return it to my dealer but hope I can help them with some experiences from this forum. So anyone any idea of the cause of rattling motor sounds from the brose motors? I have the specialized turbo levo ht 2018. It has the 1.2 motor in it. Thanks, wainando

I have a 2016 turbo levo fsr 6fattie, purchased 12 months ago. The first bike was soon completely replaced under warranty because of various control issues. The new bike did make noises in the lower bracket, clicking and rattling. Not sure why, but I discovered that if you back pedal a little, the noise would go away. After maybe a 100 miles or so of rides, the noise disappeared. I assumed it was something in the belt drive. I continue to have some quirks in motor performance, which over time I have decided is related to motor temperature rise. Specialized Mission Control says that the motor will start cutting power when you reach 85-90C (185-194F), but I find it often starts as you approach 160F. I have repeatedly tried to get recommendations on tuning parameters, but can't get any answers. The dealer I bought it from, a large locally owned sporting goods store in NJ, when out of business. Specialized leaves a lot of warranty responsibility with the dealer, and so here I am with a $5500 bike, and no service support. The Mission Control people no longer respond to emails, as they had last fall, and Specialized says they have little control over that. I recently learned independently that there are firmware updates for the battery and motor, "required" by Specialized, but it's not covered under the factory warranty. The other dealers in the area have never sold a levo fsr, and only do warranty work on bikes they've sold. So much for customer support from Specialized. I found a shop that's a little farther away that is willing to do the updates, once they have the correct apparatus, but it looks like I'll be paying for it. If you bought a bike from Walmart, you wouldn't expect much support. Buying a $5500 bike from Specialized should have PLATINUM support. Very disappointed on service. Very happy with the ride and handling, and general quality, except for motor control issues on long ascents, which is the only I can get back home! Perhaps firmware updates will improve that. Thanks, rede.

@rede Your phrases say it all "...here I am with a $5500 bike, and no service support." "Buying a $5500 bike from Specialized should have PLATINUM support." Sadly, this happens in most part of the world with Specialized, apparently. It's all about being lucky to find the proper bike shop. Most of them are self-called "Specialized dealers" but have no f... idea of selling an e-bike or how it works. And Specialized once told me: "you have to go to the store WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE BIKE". So that means if you bought the bike from a bunch of useless people, then you're screwed, basically. I hope you could find the tool in other dealer (be prepared to pay 5o0 dollars for that tool, unless the shop wants to keep it) and that dealer be more competent. I wonder which is the ebike with best support right now. Is it Stromer any better?

@rede Your phrases say it all "...here I am with a $5500 bike, and no service support." "Buying a $5500 bike from Specialized should have PLATINUM support." Sadly, this happens in most part of the world with Specialized, apparently. It's all about being lucky to find the proper bike shop. Most of them are self-called "Specialized dealers" but have no f... idea of selling an e-bike or how it works. And Specialized once told me: "you have to go to the store WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE BIKE". So that means if you bought the bike from a bunch of useless people, then you're screwed, basically. I hope you could find the tool in other dealer (be prepared to pay 5o0 dollars for that tool, unless the shop wants to keep it) and that dealer be more competent. I wonder which is the ebike with best support right now. Is it Stromer any better?

I have been lucky so far with my Dealer. First bike was replaced for clunk noise coming out of bottom bracket. Second, motor or harness failed after three months bike being replaced again and while the bike it being delivered my dealer gave me a brand new FSR base levo to ride off of the show room floor. I'm a little worried what will happen after the warranty runs out but so far both specialized and my dealer have stood behind their product.

I'm on a short test ride after getting a warrantied motor. I dropped it off at the dealer expecting the worst last Friday and this Friday they called to say it was ready. Shopping for a good dealer is more important than price.

Had my Turbo S for 6 months, I've had my display replaced 3 times and my new displays backlite just died again.

It still works but now I'm just sticking to using mission control app. Most of the time I'm happy at 30% eco and only use full 100% if it's a big grade or I wanna get somewhere really fast with little regard for battery life.

So far over 3500 KMs on the road.

The backlight on my display is broken again. My dealer told me that the display is only covered for 12 months warranty and, even though it was replaced as faulty about 6 months after I bought the bike, the warranty is from the date of purchase not the date of replacement and if I want to replace the screen it will cost nearly $200 NZD! So I've left it as it is. The display still works in the daytime but can't see it in the dark at all. They are clearly not up to the job and Specialized should really be prepared to replace them or replace them with a screen that actually works and does not break.

Do you know how much they cost to replace in other countries? Perhaps I could try ordering one from overseas.

150$ USD

I have a 2016 turbo levo fsr 6fattie, purchased 12 months ago. The first bike was soon completely replaced under warranty because of various control issues. The new bike did make noises in the lower bracket, clicking and rattling. Not sure why, but I discovered that if you back pedal a little, the noise would go away. After maybe a 100 miles or so of rides, the noise disappeared. I assumed it was something in the belt drive. I continue to have some quirks in motor performance, which over time I have decided is related to motor temperature rise. Specialized Mission Control says that the motor will start cutting power when you reach 85-90C (185-194F), but I find it often starts as you approach 160F. I have repeatedly tried to get recommendations on tuning parameters, but can't get any answers. The dealer I bought it from, a large locally owned sporting goods store in NJ, when out of business. Specialized leaves a lot of warranty responsibility with the dealer, and so here I am with a $5500 bike, and no service support. The Mission Control people no longer respond to emails, as they had last fall, and Specialized says they have little control over that. I recently learned independently that there are firmware updates for the battery and motor, "required" by Specialized, but it's not covered under the factory warranty. The other dealers in the area have never sold a levo fsr, and only do warranty work on bikes they've sold. So much for customer support from Specialized. I found a shop that's a little farther away that is willing to do the updates, once they have the correct apparatus, but it looks like I'll be paying for it. If you bought a bike from Walmart, you wouldn't expect much support. Buying a $5500 bike from Specialized should have PLATINUM support. Very disappointed on service. Very happy with the ride and handling, and general quality, except for motor control issues on long ascents, which is the only I can get back home! Perhaps firmware updates will improve that. Thanks, rede.

Here's my 9-25-17 update. With a suggestion from a Specialized rep, I was able to find a dealer not too far away who actually has a trained tech on e-bikes. He was able to "borrow" the needed parts and installed new firmware for the battery and motor, and also got my Mission Control app working. Specialized must have changed the app software, because it has one different display than before, and, of course, there was no notification of a change. The firmware updates have made a remarkable difference in control performance. The overall motor control is now quite smooth over a wide range of conditions, which was never the case before. There is virtually no loss of boost when pedaling, except when you downshift, and one has to continue to anticipate a downshift, and do it earlier. If you shift a little early, the boost recovery is smooth. On upshifts there is no change. The motor cutoff approaching the 20 mph speed limit is now above 19 mph, much better than before when it started at lower speeds. Another change is that for the same rides, the battery drain is reduced, thereby suggesting a better overall range capability. The shop charged me $50 for the firmware update, which I think is a bargain, though Specialized should really cover it. So I now have a competent shop to take care of service. Specialized online service contacts are either unresponsive, or just tell you to go find a dealer.

I have a relatively recent problem with a scraping (or slushing) sound coming from the engine. The scraping gets louder as temp goes up (after cycling at high speed for a while). It sounds like some part of the engine is touching the metal casing at each revolution so it is somewhat connected with the speed of the bike. However, it is also related to how much load I put on the engine, so more sound when going uphill. I can also make it stop temporarily by quickly releasing load. I've also noticed that I can initiate this sound if I go over bumpy terrain or make turns and then make it go away for a brief time by releasing load on the engine. My interpretation is that the engine is loose somehow inside the casing and that heat expansion after continuous load makes the engine touch the casing. I have had it looked over by the Specialized store in Hammarbyhamnen in Stockholm, Sweden, but they had no suggestion other than sending it to Switzerland. Anyone experienced the same thing and perhaps a solution to it?? The sound appears to get stronger and stronger and I fear that I will eventually have serious problems with this.

Back