Known Issues & Problems with NCM Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Just installed my new NCM rack and light set
Glad you got your moscow sorted, they also replaced my battery after just 150 miles, the 4 led lights failed and bike wouldn‘t switch on sometimes And took several attempts until she fired up. The hydraulic brakes are good , you only need one finger on the levers which gives you better control of the bike. my Moscow plus 29“ has developed a More permanent problem now regarding the switching on, Leon cycles send me instructions to check cables from the battery and I found 2 cables , one thick cable which was connected fine but the other thinner cable was not connected to anything !. I cant see where it should go so now awaiting a reply from Leon. It’s been raining in the U.K. for the past 3 days so i’m not missing out too much riding time.🤪

If it’s the same cable I’m thinking about, the smaller cable is for the front light attachment sold separately. I just purchased the rack and light kit and needed that cable to attach the light.

Last edited:
Oh ok, I was worried the other end had fallen into the frame, Leon cycles are sending me a new controller and a new display so I’ll replace them one at a time thus identifying the faulty part.
good to know about the lights, I might get those.

Got this from Leon Cycles. Was easy to install, but needed to take off battery connector part on frame to get to the hidden cable. Then had to fish it through the rubber gasket to connect to the front light.

Attachments

• 63536376-5250-46C2-A270-11C0503E17E4.png
    63536376-5250-46C2-A270-11C0503E17E4.png
    550.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Got this from Leon Cycles. Was easy to install, but needed to take off battery connector part on frame to get to the hidden cable. Then had to fish it through the rubber gasket to connect to the front light.
A bit annoying that the front light connects to the bike power but the back light needs its own batteries.

Yes I found that cable, I guess you could splice into that cable and run a it to the rear light , I would expect the battery drain from the lights to be negligible.
I ’m waiting for the replacement display and controller from Leon , i will try the display first as will only take a minute to connect the new one for testing but I think it’s going to be the controller that’s packed up.
Weather is getting better again so missing out on some good riding . 🚲

Hi,
I have done 700 km with my Moskow. In general I am very happy with it. But last a few days, a metallic sound started to come from the motor, like metals are rubbing or wobbling. This happens very rarely, especially under some load, when climbing or fast starting up. BTW, I am 85 kg. Is there anyone who experiences the similar situation? Should I take an action? Thanks

If it is truly a sound from the motor, I haven't experienced that. I can tell you I get a vibration that you can feel and hear somewhat that carries through the frame under the same conditions you describe and maybe around the same interval... very occasionally. I have about 1000km on the bike and it probably started when I had about 200 or 300. I looked into it on this forum and remember seeing other post(s) about it and coming to the conclusion that it's normal. It hasn't gotten any worse for me. Probably worth a call to Leon though... especially if the bike isn't that old and still under warranty.

If it is truly a sound from the motor, I haven't experienced that. I can tell you I get a vibration that you can feel and hear somewhat that carries through the frame under the same conditions you describe and maybe around the same interval... very occasionally. I have about 1000km on the bike and it probably started when I had about 200 or 300. I looked into it on this forum and remember seeing other post(s) about it and coming to the conclusion that it's normal. It hasn't gotten any worse for me. Probably worth a call to Leon though... especially if the bike isn't that old and still under warranty.
Yes I too started experiencing vibration at about 200 miles which seems to be originating from the motor but the vibration travels through the whole frame, it seems to have settled down now . My Moscow plus 29” is not working at the moment ( won’t turn on ) Leon are sending me a new controller, display and also sensor.
I hope one of these will sort it out, I’m a bit concerned what I will do after the warranty runs out though .😟

I have the Moscow Plus 27.5 and hear the metal tinging noise when I hit 16mph plus AND pedaling. When I stop pedaling, the noise goes away even though I’m still above 16mph. I can’t identify where the noise is actually coming from, but it always sounds like the front of the bike. My bike is brand new and I heard this tinging noise from day one. The bike rides fine without any other issues (at the moment). I did have to take the bike to a repair shop upon delivery to have the brakes adjusted, derailleurs fine tuned and tires/rims inspected. The rims were trued up a tad, but what was interesting is that technician said the tires are out of balance, which he said is natural for a tire this wide. He said it’s nothing to worry about. I love the bike so far. I have about 120 miles on it so far.

Hi,
I have done 700 km with my Moskow. In general I am very happy with it. But last a few days, a metallic sound started to come from the motor, like metals are rubbing or wobbling. This happens very rarely, especially under some load, when climbing or fast starting up. BTW, I am 85 kg. Is there anyone who experiences the similar situation? Should I take an action? Thanks
Probably best to contact Leon if it persists or gets any worse, they would probably send you a new entire rear wheel I guess.
good luck.
I have the Moscow Plus 27.5 and hear the metal tinging noise when I hit 16mph plus AND pedaling. When I stop pedaling, the noise goes away even though I’m still above 16mph. I can’t identify where the noise is actually coming from, but it always sounds like the front of the bike. My bike is brand new and I heard this tinging noise from day one. The bike rides fine without any other issues (at the moment). I did have to take the bike to a repair shop upon delivery to have the brakes adjusted, derailleurs fine tuned and tires/rims inspected. The rims were trued up a tad, but what was interesting is that technician said the tires are out of balance, which he said is natural for a tire this wide. He said it’s nothing to worry about. I love the bike so far. I have about 120 miles on it so far.
oh I see, are you only getting the sound when you pedal ? . If so then I would suggest tightening the pedal arms, that’s the big silver allen/hex bolt where the pedel fits to the crank, mine were doing that and they both needed about a half a turn or so each and then the same again after another 50 miles or so. They have been quiet since then so I guess it’s just wearing in adjustments.. get your socket set out and give them both a check to see if they are a little on the loose side. good luck

Probably best to contact Leon if it persists or gets any worse, they would probably send you a new entire rear wheel I guess.
good luck.

oh I see, are you only getting the sound when you pedal ? . If so then I would suggest tightening the pedal arms, that’s the big silver allen/hex bolt where the pedel fits to the crank, mine were doing that and they both needed about a half a turn or so each and then the same again after another 50 miles or so. They have been quiet since then so I guess it’s just wearing in adjustments.. get your socket set out and give them both a check to see if they are a little on the loose side. good luck
It’s not coming from the pedals. Tightened them as you suggested, but they were already good. I put the bike on a repair stand, put PAS on setting 6, turned the pedals manually by hand to get above 20 mph and no noise. Got back on the bike, started to ride and the noise is back but only when the motor is starting to strain to provide extra power. When I stop pedaling, the noise stops even though I’m still going fast. I still can’t tell exactly where the tinging noise is coming from though. The bike works fine but is there a potential breakdown coming?

I have found my problem, inadequate wiring from battery mount. I have asked Leon to send me a new one but I don’t think this particular part is up to the job So I may try to upgrade the wires somehow.

with regards to your issue , I can only assume either a loose spoke or 2, or some problem with the motor . Both would be apparent under load so good luck. I have just replaced my controller, display, sensor etc which took me about 2 hours and then I found my wiring problem so I didn’t need to do any of it 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 387
It’s not coming from the pedals. Tightened them as you suggested, but they were already good. I put the bike on a repair stand, put PAS on setting 6, turned the pedals manually by hand to get above 20 mph and no noise. Got back on the bike, started to ride and the noise is back but only when the motor is starting to strain to provide extra power. When I stop pedaling, the noise stops even though I’m still going fast. I still can’t tell exactly where the tinging noise is coming from though. The bike works fine but is there a potential breakdown coming?

Can you mount or strap a phone on the bike and record it? It might help for some of us to hear it.

I can tell you with the oscillation of the motor there are some strange noises you'll get now and again (even without much power, and without feeling a vibration) but they are usually quick little rattles. I get one from a shifter sometime when the motor runs. Something must be slightly loose in it. If it's more consistent though, maybe it's something that needs to be tracked down.

Yeah good video, You will obviously get a better e bike for double the price of the Moscow but if your budget is moscow money and you don’t want to go jumping and rock hopping it’s a good choice. I use my 29 plus for a mixture of road and forest trails etc and it fits my needs fine, I’m 54 now so I don’t really do much jumping etc but I may look at upgrading in a year or 2 to a full suspension mid drive as I do enjoy the off road / forest trails .

Thanks for posting that. I’m happy with my Moscow Plus. I’m not doing anything that extreme on my bike - just normal roads, hills, gravel and pot holes. This entry level bike has everything I was looking for.

I bought the moscow not as a mtn bike for technical trail rides in challenging terrain. All I wanted was an affordable
general purpose bike that can climb to hilly local terrain. To that end it has been a pretty practical daily driver. I´ve
driven less than 400 mis. this year, & put 2100 mi on the moscow. Yes, I´ve had a few issues, but not nearly so many
as I had with a commuter,(now a parts bike), that cost more than twice as much. I didn´t buy the plus though I think
now it would have been worth the extra money if I had. Price-wise Itś a good entry level bike, but not really for an
inexperienced rider. You need a good basic understanding of how things work & are cared for, & definitely need
to pay close attention to the manual. I was impressed by how well it stayed tuned for the first 1800 mi.,, but the
mechanical brakes do need frequent fine tuning. The front derailleur remains perfect after 2100 mi., but the rear
has gotten annoyingly sloppy & I´m putting on a new chain & derailleur today. It´ś pretty rugged; I´ve had to lay it
down hard a few times with more damage to my person than the bike. Indeed, it remains undamaged. The main
draw back of the this bike is fixing a rear wheel flat. You better get it exactly right, & that´s not easy. A dbl leg
kickstand is a must if you get a flat in the field. The 1st time will likely take a hour; after 5 flats I´ve got it down to 20
minutes having evolved a step by step system not found in the manual. I´ve read here that others have been having
some electrical issues that may or may not have happened at the hands of the inexperienced, though most seem
genuine. I think it´s a good idea to carefully follow charging procedure in the manual.

I bought the moscow not as a mtn bike for technical trail rides in challenging terrain. All I wanted was an affordable
general purpose bike that can climb to hilly local terrain. To that end it has been a pretty practical daily driver. I´ve
driven less than 400 mis. this year, & put 2100 mi on the moscow. Yes, I´ve had a few issues, but not nearly so many
as I had with a commuter,(now a parts bike), that cost more than twice as much. I didn´t buy the plus though I think
now it would have been worth the extra money if I had. Price-wise Itś a good entry level bike, but not really for an
inexperienced rider. You need a good basic understanding of how things work & are cared for, & definitely need
to pay close attention to the manual. I was impressed by how well it stayed tuned for the first 1800 mi.,, but the
mechanical brakes do need frequent fine tuning. The front derailleur remains perfect after 2100 mi., but the rear
has gotten annoyingly sloppy & I´m putting on a new chain & derailleur today. It´ś pretty rugged; I´ve had to lay it
down hard a few times with more damage to my person than the bike. Indeed, it remains undamaged. The main
draw back of the this bike is fixing a rear wheel flat. You better get it exactly right, & that´s not easy. A dbl leg
kickstand is a must if you get a flat in the field. The 1st time will likely take a hour; after 5 flats I´ve got it down to 20
minutes having evolved a step by step system not found in the manual. I´ve read here that others have been having
some electrical issues that may or may not have happened at the hands of the inexperienced, though most seem
genuine. I think it´s a good idea to carefully follow charging procedure in the manual.

My motor was a bit noisy until it got broken in; but decreased while performance improved a good deal. It´s prone to vibration
& brake drag it you don stay on top of tuning the mechanical brakes.

Can you mount or strap a phone on the bike and record it? It might help for some of us to hear it.

I can tell you with the oscillation of the motor there are some strange noises you'll get now and again (even without much power, and without feeling a vibration) but they are usually quick little rattles. I get one from a shifter sometime when the motor runs. Something must be slightly loose in it. If it's more consistent though, maybe it's something that needs to be tracked down.
Here is new whining sound I just started to hear coming from the hub, even without any battery power. Just the wheel spinning makes this sound. I only have 200 miles on the bike. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks for any advice.

Back