Known Issues & Problems with Lectric eBikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

You do understand just how good the bike is right? As I see it, there is only really 3 hot topic pieces to complain about with this bike. Locked settings, Why the change to must have the key in the bike and battery readings fluctuating greatly for some. I think if that's really the only hot topic complaints about a bike then they are doing pretty good.

Lectric is on this forum and yet they have said nothing to address these 3 major concerns officially. It is obvious to anyone reading these forums that they don't necessarily understand the product they are selling. Even their own customer support seems to keep telling people to change settings that their own company locked down in order to try and fix something. Do you know how you build a loyal group of customers? You sell a good product and back it with great customer support. That earns you respect and loyalty from the people that buy products from you. Not screwing them over by locking settings that should never ever be locked in the first place then not taking responsibility for it by making it right for their customers. Out of those thousands of bikes that got locked down, there is probably only a small percentage of those folks that are upset about it. What does great customer support do in those situations? They own up to their screw-ups, They make it right for those people. They engage with their customers to make an even better bike. I see none of that on here. What I do so is a select few that want to defend their bad behavior then blame the paying customer. Seriously?

And No I didn't say they are trying to wreck our bikes. Even at 40 any person with half a brain that understands batteries is going to know that it is still too low of a cutoff. So again, they either don't understand their own product or like lots of companies out there, set things to make them degrade a little faster and get that repeat battery money. Personally I figure its that they don't understand their own product but we will probably never really know.
I have 2 coming waiting for FedEx tracking an them to ship an I also email them that I don't want mine locked an they said basically to bad legal reasons.The only reason I bought them is 28mph an unlocked. I feel betrayed an after warranty I will be looking how to upgrade to unlocked bike controllers an computer as well a color screen.

this guy did a great job upgrading the lectric xp.
You certainly would have to have quite a skill set to do all those mods. And I'm also wondering if there isn't a bike that would have met his needs instead of doing all of these modifications.
Also I wonder if all of these mods would void the warranty. (LOL)

You certainly would have to have quite a skill set to do all those mods. And I'm also wondering if there isn't a bike that would have met his needs instead of doing all of these modifications.
Also I wonder if all of these mods would void the warranty. (LOL)
Saw this already an subbed to his chan.

20200504_204628.jpg

Make sure the derailer is not hitting the derailer guard. I had that problem and had to bend the derailer guard back so the derailer could move far enough to get the bike into 7th gear. If that's not the problem, the 'H' screw is the limit screw for 7th gear. If all your other shifting is fine and it's not hitting the guard, try turning that screw counter clockwise a little bit at a time.

So after the first day...got my bike...charged it up...rode 22 miles...at about mile 21 i went from a sidewalk to street back to sidewalk...my brother behind me noticed something shifted...the rear rack now seems to be cocked left, the rear mud guard is still straight...everything seems tight...any ideas before i start bending the rack back into place?....( the taillight now touches the rear fender..was not like this before riding)....the handle bars dont seem to be in line with the front wheel also

Last edited:
Received the bike today got it unboxed and went for a ride. Could tell right away that whenever I moved I heard a rubbing sound coming from the front wheel. I recall reading about issues with the disc brake, maybe it's that not sure kind of sounds like it. Tried to capture the sound on video check it out and let me know what you all think...

Received the bike today got it unboxed and went for a ride. Could tell right away that whenever I moved I heard a rubbing sound coming from the front wheel. I recall reading about issues with the disc brake, maybe it's that not sure kind of sounds like it. Tried to capture the sound on video check it out and let me know what you all think...

Lift up the front so you can spin the wheel, if it is the brakes Park tools (among others) have all the videos one needs for repairing bikes on Youtube.

Received the bike today got it unboxed and went for a ride. Could tell right away that whenever I moved I heard a rubbing sound coming from the front wheel.
I just recently received mine and noticed the exact same thing. It happens intermittently, though, and also happens when I'm leaning into a turn when I'm riding. Some adjustment needs to be made. Now that I'm over the excitement of receiving the bike I'm going to look into it.

Another thing, no bell... The manual says still mentions a bell but mine didn't ship with one.
The bell was there in form only 😳
You can buy various electronic horns for about $10.00 on AliExpress and there rechargeable. I know they are supposed to come with a bell but you didn't miss much.

The bell was there in form only 😳
You can buy various electronic horns for about $10.00 on AliExpress and there rechargeable. I know they are supposed to come with a bell but you didn't miss much.

I got an email back from Lectric saying they no longer include a bell.

Wow congratulations Darceman on the milage, I know we got our bikes at about the same time last year, only got about 400 hundred on mine before winter put a halt on it, but at least I did put a few improvements on it while it was in the house (11 tooth freewheel, Head light, Kendra Kraze tires, Bafang thump throttle, also a Rock Bros bike panniers bag that I found out can carry a spare battery). I would also like to thank you for a lot of good advise on where to purchase some of the up grades, and the wiring needed for them.
Are the Kenda Kraze tires much quieter ? The noise on the standard knobby tire is very annoying.

Thanks

Just for the record, I resolved this issue by doing 3 things:

1) the metal clip on the brake cable that goes into the brake caliper was not fully seated and that caused the brake to be partially actuated causing the friction and sound (and premature wear on the rotor!) Thankfully I didn't ride too long/far in this condition. This was a simple QC check that was missed by factory.

2) the brake assembly itself had to be adjusted as it was not aligned with the rotor, even after issue #1 was resolved. This entailed loosening two bolts and manually adjusting and then tightening down the bolts and also adjusting the adjustable inner brake adjuster (note: these brakes do not have an outer brake adjuster)... Park Tools has detailed videos on the best way to do this on YouTube.

3) I had to also 'true up' the rotor as it was slightly warped in a couple places that lead to some rubbing on each revolution with the brake pads. Park Tools' video on YouTube was helpful.

None of this was super difficult, but as someone that has not owned a bike in 20 years and didn't know anything about bike brakes and how they worked beforehand, there was a learning curve. It was frustrating because you've waited all these weeks to get the bike and right out of the box it needs adjustment/maintenance. That was a big bummer when all you want to do is get out there and ride.

These should all be end-of-the-line QC checks; instead, they are skipped and left on the consumer. That is disappointing. I understand Lectric is making these to a certain price point and QC costs time/money, but this is really basic stuff! If there wasn't a lockdown, I would have taken it to a bike shop and would have them deal with it and would have been out probably like $50. In the end, I am glad I was forced to learn how brakes work and how to adjust them as that is part of normal maintenance that I should be able to take care by myself in the future.

Last edited:

1) the metal clip on the brake cable that goes into the brake caliper was not fully seated and that caused the brake to be partially actuated causing the friction and sound (and premature wear on the rotor!) Thankfully I didn't ride too long/far in this condition. This was a simple QC check that was missed by factory.

2) the brake assembly itself had to be adjusted as it was not aligned with the rotor, even after issue #1 was resolved. This entailed loosening two bolts and manually adjusting and then tightening down the bolts and also adjusting the adjustable inner brake adjuster (note: these brakes do not have an outer brake adjuster)... Park Tools has detailed videos on the best way to do this on YouTube.

3) I had to also 'true up' the rotor as it was slightly warped in a couple places that lead to some rubbing on each revolution with the brake pads. Park Tools' video on YouTube was helpful.

None of this was super difficult, but as someone that has not owned a bike in 20 years and doesn't know anything about bike brakes and how they worked beforehand, there was a learning curve. It was frustrating because you've waited all these weeks to get the bike and right out of the box it needs adjustment/maintenance. That was a big bummer when all you want to do is get out there and ride.

These should all be end-of-the-line QC checks; instead, they are skipped and left on the consumer. That is disappointing. I understand Lectric is making these to a certain price point and QC costs time/money, but this is really basic stuff! If there wasn't a lockdown, I would have taken it to a bike shop and would have them deal with it and would have been out probably like $50. In the end, I am glad I was forced to learn how brakes work and how to adjust them as that is part of normal maintenance that I should be able to take care by myself in the future.
That's awesome...you have now joined the online bike maintenance crew...seriously though that's the difference between buying a bike online and a bike store.it's all easy and now you know how to do it yourself.....oh yeah and at least a few hundred dollars less.😁 Start reading at the beginning of this forum and there's all sorts of stuff about this...

None of this was super difficult, but as someone that has not owned a bike in 20 years and doesn't know anything about bike brakes and how they worked beforehand, there was a learning curve. It was frustrating because you've waited all these weeks to get the bike and right out of the box it needs adjustment/maintenance. That was a big bummer when all you want to do is get out there and ride.

That's a good writeup and summary of the same condition I found my XP in when I received mine from Lectric back in October of 2019. I agree with you that Lectric should have had a QA technician that makes minor adjustments to its bikes before shipping them to the customer. This is how companies that assemble products do it in the real world. It is always good to learn for yourself and its good to have the help of others on this message board. I know I'm grateful for all the help of you and the other members who post helpful information in aiding me and others in how to perform maintenance of our bikes.

I don't know if anyone has had this problem, it started two days ago on my Lectric XP. The locking clasp that prevents the bike from folding keeps opening while I am riding. It opens and then snags the bottom of my pants leg. I put in around 900 miles on the bike so far and now it is starting to do this. I had to resort to duct taping the clasp to the frame to prevent it from coming loose.

Back