Known Issues & Problems with Lectric eBikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Doomsday.
The problem is some of the people buying these bikes aren't gearheads, or techies.... Take the seventy some year old granny that wants to get out and ride. she's a leadfoot that wants to go faster while leaving the vcr blinking 12:00 whiles she out ripping the trails up... Granny reads the manual and wants to make the bike faster... first she try's to get into programming mode and the bike goes in walk mode by mistake crashing into her wall. that over she manages to get into programming mode now shes flipping thru the p setting and gets it set up for speed! but changes some random other setting in the process and the bike doesn't do what its supposed to do. frustrated she calls and Lectric tries to walk her thru the settings. Now take that same granny and only let her change unharmful settings she will be happy flying down the trails at 28mph even if the odometer is off...look back thru the posts plenty of people aren't bike mechanics!

Most folks that are not gear heads won't even know how to get into programming mode, to begin with. They will most likely never even go into the settings, in fact
I bet that most of them wont ever get 20mph. Its the guy who has a little bit of knowledge that will be the one that gets in there and probably screws something up and if they have a sheet of paper that has the list of the correct settings then letric probably wouldn't get a call in the first place. You're not going to stop all calls even with a 100% locked bike. Just fyi, I have a very technical background and consider myself to be pretty high up in the gearhead chain. Even I accidentally hit the walk mode on my bike when I first got it. It happens. But its no excuse to remove walk mode from the bike or restrict you from being able to use it.

Most folks that are not gear heads won't even know how to get into programming mode, to begin with. They will most likely never even go into the settings, in fact
I bet that most of them wont ever get 20mph. Its the guy who has a little bit of knowledge that will be the one that gets in there and probably screws something up and if they have a sheet of paper that has the list of the correct settings then letric probably wouldn't get a call in the first place. You're not going to stop all calls even with a 100% locked bike. Just fyi, I have a very technical background and consider myself to be pretty high up in the gearhead chain. Even I accidentally hit the walk mode on my bike when I first got it. It happens. But its no excuse to remove walk mode from the bike or restrict you from being able to use it.
Hey Snokid don't take the bait. He'll argue with you till you throw your hands up in the air. He's an expert on everything and is never wrong

Hey Snokid don't take the bait. He'll argue with you till you throw your hands up in the air. He's an expert on everything and is never wrong

Nope, I'm wrong about lots of stuff and will fully admit it when I am wrong. I am an expert in certain parts of technology though, that doesn't make me flawless, I can still make mistakes but they are going to be far less than the stuff im not technical at. Just you and nobody else has actually given a real reason for locking settings other than so it doesn't annoy lectric to get calls. Which is not a valid excuse at all. Why put walk mode in there, there are going to be lots of people that accidentally start it. Oh, thats right because lectric probably won't get a call on that. If only they could have done something like oh, I don't know, Added a sheet of paper with the settings on it, they wouldn't get slammed with calls either. Please, give me valid reasons besides them having to field calls or people on forums having to give advice. The only setting that they should have locked was voltage, and not even locked it just given it a minimum voltage so you can't over-discharge the battery and cause it to catch on fire. Its the only real damaging setting to the bike itself. Every other setting can just easily be reset. So again, show me real valid reasons for locking the settings.

Nope, I'm wrong about lots of stuff and will fully admit it when I am wrong. I am an expert in certain parts of technology though, that doesn't make me flawless, I can still make mistakes but they are going to be far less than the stuff im not technical at. Just you and nobody else has actually given a real reason for locking settings other than so it doesn't annoy lectric to get calls. Which is not a valid excuse at all. Why put walk mode in there, there are going to be lots of people that accidentally start it. Oh, thats right because lectric probably won't get a call on that. If only they could have done something like oh, I don't know, Added a sheet of paper with the settings on it, they wouldn't get slammed with calls either. Please, give me valid reasons besides them having to field calls or people on forums having to give advice. The only setting that they should have locked was voltage, and not even locked it just given it a minimum voltage so you can't over-discharge the battery and cause it to catch on fire. Its the only real damaging setting to the bike itself. Every other setting can just easily be reset. So again, show me real valid reasons for locking the settings.
.. Please move on

sounds true, I'm happy with my bike gets my fat ass down the dock and to the store, just the reason I bought it in the first place, still can unlock the 28mph, life is good... unless one of you kind soles wants to help me bleed the air out of my diesel been fighting with it for a couple of hours! well back to boat yoga!

sounds true, I'm happy with my bike gets my fat ass down the dock and to the store, just the reason I bought it in the first place, still can unlock the 28mph, life is good... unless one of you kind soles wants to help me bleed the air out of my diesel been fighting with it for a couple of hours! well back to boat yoga!

Do you full time on your boat? What a great way to use an ebike.

.. Please move on

Says the man that refuses to answer that 1 simple question. It's not a hard question. Its one Lectric up till now has still refused to answer or admit fault too. Again, sure its only going to affect a small portion of the bike riders, so we should just ignore them then and blame them instead of trying to get the company to do the right thing for all its customers? I don't like having to set here and repeat the facts. I would much rather be talking about how we are modding our bikes or where we are riding to, unfortunately, a select few here seem to like to blame the customer, Hows that right?

not far, at a dock right now heading back out in a week. should be anchored next to statue of liberty next sunday.

Says the man that refuses to answer that 1 simple question. It's not a hard question. Its one Lectric up till now has still refused to answer or admit fault too. Again, sure its only going to affect a small portion of the bike riders, so we should just ignore them then and blame them instead of trying to get the company to do the right thing for all its customers? I don't like having to set here and repeat the facts. I would much rather be talking about how we are modding our bikes or where we are riding to, unfortunately, a select few here seem to like to blame the customer, Hows that right?
Well I agree with you you certainly repeat things I'm not getting suckered by a troll anymore that's it

Well I agree with you you certainly repeat things I'm not getting suckered by a troll anymore that's it
LOl, So I am the troll yet others sit here and blame the paying customer for changing settings that don't actually harm their bike? How's that work out? Nevermind, I wouldn't want to be accused of baiting again.

not far, at a dock right now heading back out in a week. should be anchored next to statue of liberty next sunday.

I was hoping you'd get good range on the open water. For me in an rv it's hit or miss and there's no predicting what effect terrain will have.

never really paid attention to the minute I loose cellphone coverage, would guess its about 10 miles offshore. Have satellite for calls, texting, and weather when offshore. Going to do the rv thing when we get tired of sailing...

At the risk of getting us further into opinions & away from discussing problems & fixes, I thought I'd give an update on the odometer issue that I posted about yesterday (registering about 2/3 of the actual distance).

I've tweaked the wheel size (P06) until I'm convinced that it's not worth it. I could get it close to being correct but a setting of 25.0 one day got me close & the next day not so close (maybe do to my GPS sensitivity). Changing the wheel size affected the speedo accuracy, limiting my actual top speed to about 16.5MPH even though the control module displayed 20MPH. I experimented with P18 once I thought I understood the consequences of tweaking the wheel size setting in the hope that P18 would get the speedo closer to the actual speed when the wheel size has been fudged. At this point I experienced issues that I don't understand & it would take way to much to explain it here. So, I called Lectric Bikes to explain my experiences & see if they could give me any hope for an eventual solution.

I'm fairly technically minded & worked my entire life in engineering but don't have a lot of bike experience. But based on my experience over the last couple of weeks & my most recent conversation with CS, I can't see where leaving the settings unlocked would benefit many, if any, customers. Lectric Bikes is aware of the odometer issue & is working on it (contrary to what they'd previously lead me to believe). A user tweaking the settings to reach a solution that they haven't unearthed yet is probably a fantasy. While I haven't been thrilled with their support so far, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will eventually come up with a fix or workaround that they will provide to us.

Until that time, I've set my settings back to the defaults & will get a bike computer so I can enjoy the bike & stopped being stressed out over it. A control module that is only good for setting peddle assist levels is a huge disappointment & unacceptable (I haven't mentioned anything about the erratic Energy Bar). But I have too much else going on in my life to loose any more sleep over it so I'm going to hope Lectric Bikes comes up with something, although, I'm not putting any money on that.

At the risk of getting us further into opinions & away from discussing problems & fixes, I thought I'd give an update on the odometer issue that I posted about yesterday (registering about 2/3 of the actual distance).

I've tweaked the wheel size (P06) until I'm convinced that it's not worth it. I could get it close to being correct but a setting of 25.0 one day got me close & the next day not so close (maybe do to my GPS sensitivity). Changing the wheel size affected the speedo accuracy, limiting my actual top speed to about 16.5MPH even though the control module displayed 20MPH. I experimented with P18 once I thought I understood the consequences of tweaking the wheel size setting in the hope that P18 would get the speedo closer to the actual speed when the wheel size has been fudged. At this point I experienced issues that I don't understand & it would take way to much to explain it here. So, I called Lectric Bikes to explain my experiences & see if they could give me any hope for an eventual solution.

I'm fairly technically minded & worked my entire life in engineering but don't have a lot of bike experience. But based on my experience over the last couple of weeks & my most recent conversation with CS, I can't see where leaving the settings unlocked would benefit many, if any, customers. Lectric Bikes is aware of the odometer issue & is working on it (contrary to what they'd previously lead me to believe). A user tweaking the settings to reach a solution that they haven't unearthed yet is probably a fantasy. While I haven't been thrilled with their support so far, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will eventually come up with a fix or workaround that they will provide to us.

Until that time, I've set my settings back to the defaults & will get a bike computer so I can enjoy the bike & stopped being stressed out over it. A control module that is only good for setting peddle assist levels is a huge disappointment & unacceptable (I haven't mentioned anything about the erratic Energy Bar). But I have too much else going on in my life to loose any more sleep over it so I'm going to hope Lectric Bikes comes up with something, although, I'm not putting any money on that.

Losing top-end speed by raising the wheel size higher is expected. I don't understand why you are having to raise it so high to dial in the odometer. That should be just a matter of a few decimal points to dial it in, Not having to go up to a 25inch tire size. To me that would point more to a sensor issue. I am not a bike expert though.

Just pull it out by hand. Maybe half an inch to an inch away from the derailer. Its just there as a protecting barrier in case you wreck or drop the bike.
Thanks for that information. What happens when the Derailluer is sitting against the rim? Would 1/2 to 1 inch be enough?

Thanks for that information. What happens when the Derailluer is sitting against the rim? Would 1/2 to 1 inch be enough?

The derailer or the guard? The derailer being there is probably going to cause your chain to jump off a lot. There are adjustments screws in the derailer for fine-tuning. The guard being jammed on it will cause you not to be able to use most of the gears or even shift out of gear.

First lets make sure we are talking about the same part.
the derailluer is the part with a cable going to it with a couple of sprockets on it.
the guard is a stiff wire bent in a u shape.
If it's the derailleur then search youtube on how to adjust it. park tool has a good one, I think he might talk about bending it also.

back in the day, I would undo the cable set the limit screws by moving the derailleur by hand the reattach the cable and adjust for smooth shifting. bent plenty of 10 speeds back in shape also.

Back