Known Issues & Problems with Haibike Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

These clips (there are more than one) are located on the seat stays and the chain stays (and perhaps elsewhere; I don't have my bike in front of me). Follow any cable—brake, derailleur, or speed sensor—to the back wheel and you will see that the cables are attached to the frame (to prevent them from hanging loose and potentially get tangled with wheel spokes and causing an accident) by means of a clip. Even better, the frame has been cast or formed to have a little cradle, or saddle, for the cable to sit in. The clips attach to both sides of the cradle, encircling the cable and attaching it to the frame. It's an elegant solution.

@Ravi Kempaiah, thank you for the reminder! As I myself said in my initial post, "This is a small issue..." (Unless it causes an accident!)

And yet... when does "Don't sweat the small stuff" become "Pay attention to details!" As when it leads to more information. For example, the distributor's answer to my question, "What other parts of the bike are 'not a stocking part for Haibike?' is as follows:

"Hello Sir
"Aside from some cable wrapping, that is the only part we (Haibike) do not stock. The frame and some wheelsets/Handlebars/Seatposts/grips are the only part(s) we warranty. Everything else is covered by the Various manufacturers we contract to provide parts to build the various models.
"Thank You
"Jed Paraso
"Head of Operations / Event Manager Haibike USA"

Wow! That is not very reassuring. It sounds like Haibike is not standing behind the ENTIRE bike. A halfhearted effort, if that. So, if something happens to my Yamaha motor, or its controller, or its battery, or my Rockshox front and rear suspension, or my Shimano derailleur, or my seatpost, or stem, or... I have to go to each individual manufacturer?

Or will my LBS go to bat for me? Judging by the, again, halfhearted effort they made re the clip, I am not hopeful.

It's too bad because I really like my Haibike. It's a great bike. I hope nothing happens to it.

@Ravi Kempaiah, thank you for the reminder! As I myself said in my initial post, "This is a small issue..." (Unless it causes an accident!)

And yet... when does "Don't sweat the small stuff" become "Pay attention to details!" As when it leads to more information. For example, the distributor's answer to my question, "What other parts of the bike are 'not a stocking part for Haibike?' is as follows:

"Hello Sir
"Aside from some cable wrapping, that is the only part we (Haibike) do not stock. The frame and some wheelsets/Handlebars/Seatposts/grips are the only part(s) we warranty. Everything else is covered by the Various manufacturers we contract to provide parts to build the various models.
"Thank You
"Jed Paraso
"Head of Operations / Event Manager Haibike USA"

Wow! That is not very reassuring. It sounds like Haibike is not standing behind the ENTIRE bike. A halfhearted effort, if that. So, if something happens to my Yamaha motor, or its controller, or its battery, or my Rockshox front and rear suspension, or my Shimano derailleur, or my seatpost, or stem, or... I have to go to each individual manufacturer?

Or will my LBS go to bat for me? Judging by the, again, halfhearted effort they made re the clip, I am not hopeful.

It's too bad because I really like my Haibike. It's a great bike. I hope nothing happens to it.

I have had mixed results with some of the issues you mention.
First, thanks for the clip story, I checked mine and every one of the small machined screws that hold the clips was loose.
One was so loose that touching it popped both it and the clip out.
I think that the dealers are partly responsible for some of the issues.
My Haibike was delivered from SanDiego FlynRide with a problem.
The right brake lever/piston was cracked and leaked out the oil rendering the rear brake useless.
I called them and never received a call back.
Fortunately my REI store has a good relationship with Magura although it took 2 visits to get the brakes bled properly.
The Magura company replaced the lever/piston but it still ended up with another $100 bill for the service.
I have now found a certified ebike dealer who can perform updates and repairs for my XDuro Bosch system.
Unfortunately, he can not match the prices of the big dealerships when they have the discounts coming.

I have had mixed results with some of the issues you mention.
First, thanks for the clip story, I checked mine and every one of the small machined screws that hold the clips was loose.
One was so loose that touching it popped both it and the clip out.
I think that the dealers are partly responsible for some of the issues.
My Haibike was delivered from SanDiego FlynRide with a problem.
The right brake lever/piston was cracked and leaked out the oil rendering the rear brake useless.
I called them and never received a call back.
Fortunately my REI store has a good relationship with Magura although it took 2 visits to get the brakes bled properly.
The Magura company replaced the lever/piston but it still ended up with another $100 bill for the service.
I have now found a certified ebike dealer who can perform updates and repairs for my XDuro Bosch system.
Unfortunately, he can not match the prices of the big dealerships when they have the discounts coming.

@Sweetwater, your brake should have been fixed by @San Diego Fly Rides under warranty at no cost. I understand, however, that if the dealer is unresponsive there is a desire to just get it fixed so that one can ride again ASAP.

@Sweetwater, your brake should have been fixed by @San Diego Fly Rides under warranty at no cost. I understand, however, that if the dealer is unresponsive there is a desire to just get it fixed so that one can ride again ASAP.

Agreed but I am 750 miles away.

On another note, I began getting and Error Code: 502 and my lighting system stopped working. I couldn't find any wire issues and the LED's seemed OK although both were out with the code. Looking at some other gremlin type posts I realized I have been routinely charging the bike with the battery mounted which utilized the bike/computer wiring. So I dismounted the Bosch display and removed the battery. I cleaned the connections which were dusty but seemed secure. I also did a recharge with the battery off the bike, it seems that it registered full on the bike but took around 10% when connected directly to the charger. And I got a good result after remounting the display and battery, the lighting system works again. I think there are gremlins that hang out in the bike and software which I exorcised, I encourage trying this approach.

Just got a software upgrade from May 2016 to current Bosch Performance latest version.
What is your dealer charging for that? Mine had a $50 price tag.

Having big issues with drive train.

SRAM PC X1 chains are bad.. Stretched one in under 50 miles. Trying out the KMCx11E ( ebike specific chain) hopefully this lasts a few rides longer.
Just ordered a steel free hub, XT8000 cassette is eating the free hub. looking for advise on cassettes.. low end and swap often or High End and hope that they last longer.. I..e XTR - TI.

Having big issues with drive train.

SRAM PC X1 chains are bad.. Stretched one in under 50 miles. Trying out the KMCx11E ( ebike specific chain) hopefully this lasts a few rides longer.
Just ordered a steel free hub, XT8000 cassette is eating the free hub. looking for advise on cassettes.. low end and swap often or High End and hope that they last longer.. I..e XTR - TI.

What model do you have? Is this original equipment?

I have one that leaves me rather befuddled. New 2015 Xduro Treking Haibike. Bought less than a year ago directly from New England online (thus, no local dealer to help!). I have loved it and babied the thing since I've had it. No driving through puddles, stored in my locked garage and battery charged up in my heated house. Two days ago, after not riding for two weeks, I unplug the battery, pop it on the bike and...nothing. No communication with the computer at all. Hmmm... NEVER happened before. Was showing full bars in the charger. Perplexed, I take it back up and plug it in. Nothing! No lights. Some searching and I find the "hold down the button on the battery trick." Ok. Tried a few times and get the lights to come on the battery after a few. Back on the bike. Nothing! Display comes on but goes to "Eco" and back to off. Same as if it had no 400w Bosch on it at all. Read EVERYWHERE. Terminals on bike? Spotless. Cleaned 'em anyway (battery itself wasn't getting juice, why would it matter? Still...). Tried many outlets in the house. Tried resetting the battery a number of times. Nada. What, am I gonna have to send a BIKE back to New England?!? I am in the middle of the country. No eBike help anywhere within states of me. Finally, out of frustration, I just leave the battery ON the bike after I reset the battery yet again and was showing lights. It suddenly works again? While I should just be happy, I am using this bike as my primary means of transportation and am in the computer tech field. Not electronics, per se, but "just started working again" just doesn't cut it. I am curious to know why. The contacts would have been the same, the battery was on the bike before for the same amount of time. Why would it suddenly start getting juice? Wires are all intact. Befuddled, as I say. Ideas other than "ghosts?"

I have one that leaves me rather befuddled. New 2015 Xduro Treking Haibike. Bought less than a year ago directly from New England online (thus, no local dealer to help!). I have loved it and babied the thing since I've had it. No driving through puddles, stored in my locked garage and battery charged up in my heated house. Two days ago, after not riding for two weeks, I unplug the battery, pop it on the bike and...nothing. No communication with the computer at all. Hmmm... NEVER happened before. Was showing full bars in the charger. Perplexed, I take it back up and plug it in. Nothing! No lights. Some searching and I find the "hold down the button on the battery trick." Ok. Tried a few times and get the lights to come on the battery after a few. Back on the bike. Nothing! Display comes on but goes to "Eco" and back to off. Same as if it had no 400w Bosch on it at all. Read EVERYWHERE. Terminals on bike? Spotless. Cleaned 'em anyway (battery itself wasn't getting juice, why would it matter? Still...). Tried many outlets in the house. Tried resetting the battery a number of times. Nada. What, am I gonna have to send a BIKE back to New England?!? I am in the middle of the country. No eBike help anywhere within states of me. Finally, out of frustration, I just leave the battery ON the bike after I reset the battery yet again and was showing lights. It suddenly works again? While I should just be happy, I am using this bike as my primary means of transportation and am in the computer tech field. Not electronics, per se, but "just started working again" just doesn't cut it. I am curious to know why. The contacts would have been the same, the battery was on the bike before for the same amount of time. Why would it suddenly start getting juice? Wires are all intact. Befuddled, as I say. Ideas other than "ghosts?"
There is a good chance your issue is with your display not your battery. The display uses the main battery to charge it’s small internal battery. A 2015 bike like this might have issues with degradation of the battery inside the display. If it happens again I would try and get another display from the shop you got it from. I hope this helps.

There is a good chance your issue is with your display not your battery. The display uses the main battery to charge it’s small internal battery. A 2015 bike like this might have issues with degradation of the battery inside the display. If it happens again I would try and get another display from the shop you got it from. I hope this helps.

Also, by "terminals", do you mean the BATTERY'S terminals?

The terminals on my bike's computer (Intuvia) will sometimes get wet enough to cause communication disruption to the motor. I just remove it an wipe it down...does the trick.

In general, it is cleaning the terminal on the battery and the screen.

In europe haibike fulfills the guarantees, in fact publishes defective models picks them up and changes them for a new one within the same range price of the current year.

Different is when you make a modification on your own, for example change a cassette of 32 teeth by 50 teeth, it is clear that this does not fall under the warranty.

People think it's just changing a cassette and lengthening chain, but you have to put a new derailleur longer ... example deviator XT GS and change to XT GSG, this is out of warranty and check the full speed x10 or x 11 speed ......the serial number....

KMC x10e 10 speed
kmc x11e 11 speed

I in a new pedelec would spend all the components of series before proposing changes to be in warranty

https://www.haibike.com

Last edited:
Also, by "terminals", do you mean the BATTERY'S terminals?

The terminals on my bike's computer (Intuvia) will sometimes get wet enough to cause communication disruption to the motor. I just remove it an wipe it down...does the trick.
Thanks to you both for the replies. As per the above? Yes, I mean the battery terminals. The male connectors on the bike frame itself. Neither they nor the bike as a whole have ever gotten wet more than a mist once a long time ago and I wiped it dry. Immediately upon arriving home. Chris - thanks for THAT thought. One I hadn't considered. I took the display off and played with it when I noticed the battery wasn't recognized and all seemed well with it. Did the same thing as if the battery were not on it at all. Goes to Eco then off again.

Today, new / repeat issue. Battery will only charge up to four lights no matter how long I leave it plugged in to the charger. I go down, plug it into the bike and...nothing! Zippo. Same as before. Eco to off. After a few minutes of frustration, the display comes on...showing THREE bars. Battery is showing likewise. Three lights! Lost a bar walking the battery from my house to my bike in my garage? Hmmmm.... Have had it charging for hours now in front of me and still won't charge to five. Methinks battery is the culprit? If so, HOPING this is under some warranty as I've had the bike less than a year. Love it so much, it is my primary means of transportation! Thanks again for the expert opinions.

Thanks to you both for the replies. As per the above? Yes, I mean the battery terminals. The male connectors on the bike frame itself. Neither they nor the bike as a whole have ever gotten wet more than a mist once a long time ago and I wiped it dry. Immediately upon arriving home. Chris - thanks for THAT thought. One I hadn't considered. I took the display off and played with it when I noticed the battery wasn't recognized and all seemed well with it. Did the same thing as if the battery were not on it at all. Goes to Eco then off again.

Today, new / repeat issue. Battery will only charge up to four lights no matter how long I leave it plugged in to the charger. I go down, plug it into the bike and...nothing! Zippo. Same as before. Eco to off. After a few minutes of frustration, the display comes on...showing THREE bars. Battery is showing likewise. Three lights! Lost a bar walking the battery from my house to my bike in my garage? Hmmmm.... Have had it charging for hours now in front of me and still won't charge to five. Methinks battery is the culprit? If so, HOPING this is under some warranty as I've had the bike less than a year. Love it so much, it is my primary means of transportation! Thanks again for the expert opinions.
A continuation on the above. Took that charged battery downstairs, popped it on the bike...nothing again. Eco to off. Still showing four bars on the battery (never did get it to charge to five), tried taking it off and putting it back several times but nothing. Bike display showing three bars, battery showing four lights. Calling New England Electric Bike tomorrow. I'll report back. Thanks for the help troubleshooting this one. All thoughts still most welcome.

That's a bummer...sorry to hear of your troubles. Although it seems that yours may be a battery hardware issue, I'd like to recommend applying dielectric-grease to all the bike's electrical-contacts as a matter of general maintenance. I have been using it for nearly a year in some pretty messy damp environments, and have had ZERO issues.

upload_2018-1-14_14-15-2.png

That's a bummer...sorry to hear of your troubles. Although it seems that yours may be a battery hardware issue, I'd like to recommend applying dielectric-grease to all the bike's electrical-contacts as a matter of general maintenance. I have been using it for nearly a year in some pretty messy damp environments, and have had ZERO issues.

View attachment 19628
Again, many thanks. Just ordered up a tube! NE Electric Bike demonstrated immediate competence and followed exactly what was suggested here - either battery or display. Without any prompting from me, they asked me to ship BOTH back immediately for testing. They haven't received the package yet but, again, I'll be sure to report back. With the battery only charging a max of 4/5 despite leaving it plugged in all night off the bike, I can't help but think that a problem is going to be right there. In the meantime? Tube of dialectric grease is on the way. I appreciate the time in taking the screen-shot. It'll be here before the battery / console returns. :)

Back