Known Issues & Problems with Frey Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I have just been out on my bike (Frey EX) and on the flat, my legs are spinning very fast in Sport PAS 5 and top gear and I am going around 22mph.

The question is - would a bigger drive ring get me more MPH and if so would this be damaging to the drive train?

Cheers

I have just been out on my bike (Frey EX) and on the flat, my legs are spinning very fast in Sport PAS 5 and top gear and I am going around 22mph.

The question is - would a bigger drive ring get me more MPH and if so would this be damaging to the drive train?

Cheers
Dave-this may be a good question for Frey. I know with my Lectric XP, the switch to an 11-34 chainring will result in better pedal response and probably allow me to go faster. In fact, I just purchased it for my son for Xmas...

i was wondering if someone had added a different one and could answer, i think if i ask Frey they might put me off or void any warranty, i mean 25mph peddling is pretty quick but everyone wants a little more :cool:

found this info -

I have the following presumption:

First of all chain ring is a part of Bafang Ultra motor kit. first this kit was delivered with a 44t chain ring by Bafang (I took the original Bafang 44t chain ring of my AM1000 motor for my EX). now it seems to be a 40t chain ring.

Bafang Ultra motor runs best & cooler at high rpms and low torque (low amperes) - resulting to the same wattage as low rpms and high torque. in fact you will kill your Bafang motor and/or it gets very hot when using low rpms and high torque (also applies to Bafang BBSHD motor - where the plastic gear just melts - but Ultra motor has no plastic gear -anymore- !).

If I would be a manufacturer and I would have returns with problems caused by that - what would I do ? = yep, I would provide a smaller chain ring
:lol:
problem solved. benefit would be lower temperatures and a longer motor lifespan which is not a bad thing at all.

of course it is not nice if you have to ride your Bafang motor at 11 teeth cog and 35 km/h or 20 miles/hour at highest possible rpm giving by the voltage and your human speed of being able to pedal the crank… when you are not offroad.

my solution: I use larger chain rings (44t with Frey EX and 50t with Frey AM) but also higher voltages with my own built batteries (up to 80 volts). right now I am building the 2 new batteries for my Frey EX. my Frey AM1000 is btw problem free with this large chain ring since around 3500-4000km. of course I take care of the right gear at hills etc. without my personal care of choosing the right low gear, yes, I would have destroyed or damaged the motor...
but of course this is not the solution for everyone…

only a presumption…

anyways, yes, you can change it to a nice 44t Wolftooth or RaceFace 130 BCD chainring.

I like the idea of being able to change out the chainring. But I'm intimidated by just how you go about getting the correct ring for a particular bike. That is ... bolt pattern, spyder, keeping the chain line the same. yada yada yada. Any help is much appreciated.

I like the idea of being able to change out the chainring. But I'm intimidated by just how you go about getting the correct ring for a particular bike. That is ... bolt pattern, spyder, keeping the chain line the same. yada yada yada. Any help is much appreciated.
the ultra has a 5 bolt pattern and the pitch of the bolts holes are 130, if you do buy a chainring make sure it has these dimensions, also the standard ultra chainring has 40 teeth, if you buy one with fewer teeth then your top speed will lower, more teeth and your top speed (when peddling) will be higher. there will need to be a happy medium with this so i think 44 teeth would be the maximum i would go on that.

it would be easier to take it to a shop and just ask them to order and put one on or ask someone locally that knows bikes to make sure you are ok.

RaceFace are from the USA check them links out above
Yes, I’ve sold a few and ran RaceFace, Lekkie, Luna, and a China copy. All narrow wide and wouldn’t run Connex eBike chains. Luckily all of my builds had good chainlines. I’m wanting an ultra bike but it’s still the Wild West, like the early years of the BBSxx series. Bad, to worse parts supply chain.

Thanks for the sizing explanation.

Yes, I’ve sold a few and ran RaceFace, Lekkie, Luna, and a China copy. All narrow wide and wouldn’t run Connex eBike chains. Luckily all of my builds had good chainlines. I’m wanting an ultra bike but it’s still the Wild West, like the early years of the BBSxx series. Bad, to worse parts supply chain.

Thanks for the sizing explanation.
I've experimented with the BBS02B and the stock bbs02b chainrings starting with a 46t which seems to be a happy medium. Then I tried a 48t for more speed over the summer which I found made me and the battery a bit more tired. I didn't notice the motor heating up, but I do ride to exercise and try to do most of the work when I can. I was able to reach 30+mph with a 11- 28t in the rear which probably isn't a good idea on my ol' bike but it was fun experimenting

I've since dropped to a 44t and a 13-28t in the rear as the arthritis in my knees has been a real s.o.b lately.

Thomas when using narrow/wide rings.. How did you maintain chainline on the bbs**? The only way I see to do so is the crazy expensive Lekkie

I run all OEM these days. They will run Connex eBike chains (132L)

I have run them all. I think Lekkie rings are a great solution to chain drops. They have decent dishing and the 42T, IMO, with 11x34 is a sweet spot. I added a Grin Shunt and tied in a CA3. The feedback was outstanding. It revealed the motor was burning up watts and stressing when I ran up to 52T chainrings. Only the HD stood up to the hammering.

I run all OEM these days. They will run Connex eBike chains (132L)

I have run them all. I think Lekkie rings are a great solution to chain drops. They have decent dishing and the 42T, IMO, with 11x34 is a sweet spot. I added a Grin Shunt and tied in a CA3. The feedback was outstanding. It revealed the motor was burning up watts and stressing when I ran up to 52T chainrings. Only the HD stood up to the hammering.
Forget about the motor at 52t...my skinny legs will be burning up.
28t in the rear seems to be big enough for me at this point as I have some hills but typically not that steep. I often take them in second @ 24t
I do get some chain gurgle when in 1st and an occasional chain drop if I'm riding bumps like roots.
Is the offset on the Lekkie the same as the stock Bafang rings? Or closer/further from the motor?

Forget about the motor at 52t...my skinny legs will be burning up.
28t in the rear seems to be big enough for me at this point as I have some hills but typically not that steep. I often take them in second @ 24t
I do get some chain gurgle when in 1st and an occasional chain drop if I'm riding bumps like roots.
Is the offset on the Lekkie the same as the stock Bafang rings? Or closer/further from the motor?
I’ll send you a 42t to try out and return. Ships cheap first class.

Back