Known Issues & Problems with Frey Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Many thanks @ProphetZarquon !

I think it maybe the same blue or very close... if you ask Frey they will paint it in virtually any colour you want!

That blue or their godawful-bright yellow (almost greenish banana yellow in some photos?) & even the orange all look great to me, though the orange looks a bit dim 😎

I do want to be seen... but I went with basic black on the premise that I'll be covering it in reflective glow strips anyway! (Also any contrasting colors would highlight the battery bulge in what could be an unflattering manner.) My ideal color scheme of course, is VantaBlack Black 3.0 contrasted with an intense blue-white glow highlighting every edge, right down to the wheel spokes, rims & tread knobs; with any metallic surfaces polished to a mirror finish... I can dream at least, can't I?

Hoping to enlist a friend to help me swap the rear brake light (the AM1000 has a brake light!?) for one that flashes, getting higher intensity & greatly improved visibility for the same draw. Probably the front too, though that's a bit trickier since I won't always want it to strobe: Oncoming people hate that! (I currently cap my flashing headlamp with my hand for oncoming traffic.) Might keep the stock headlight & fit lights on my helmet instead, for the rare occasions I'll need actual illumination.

Regarding horns, bells, etc: I have found that the sound of brake squeal is a sure attention getter, so I seek to emulate that. Cruel but effective.

I may fit a deer whistle, too. Hopefully something the deer will hear but I won't; might annoy dogs though? 😬

The rack I'm using in the photo is an Topeak MTX Beamrack (E-Type).

I knew I recognized it! I have the same one, minus one quick-release: Its threaded shaft broke, following a flat drop from a 5.5 inch curb, with nothing but bag, tablet, & 16oz bottle of water strapped inside. This is after uncounted miles & bouncing, under more load than that, so... YMMV!

It maxes out at only 9kg (20lb) so just enough to carry the essentials on a short trip - or 8 cans of beer! 😄 I've only recently purchased it so couldn't give you a full review but so far its working as expected, seems quite secure even off-road but do need to be mindful of its limits. Push too hard and you'll have the rack swinging around behind you! :oops::D

I have the EX Rear Rack too, which is same as supplied on the AM1000. It works fine but you're right about unsprung weight. It just makes the ride feel awful over rough ground. Best avoided if possible.

For the rare occasions I do need to carry a load I was looking to buy a Burley Coho XC Trailer. I liked the idea of spreading the weight over another axle, being able to carry bigger things, and hopefully it would be quick and convenient to use. Trailers are quite expensive though! 😞

I mostly dislike the way seatpost mounted racks swivel around so easily; again, why are bike rack mounts just generally half-@$$ed?

I liked the idea of a heavy-duty pusher trailer, until I discovered that the most obvious drive-balancing mechanism & the best hitch design are both patented with exclusive license given to companies that don't even sell high powered trailers, & the only ready-to-roll pusher trailer still on the market isn't even big enough for two bags of groceries. I don't like the idea of having to build an electric pusher trailer myself, experimentally, with out-of-pocket cash!

I really really want to find a front rack that doesn't suck: better mount than just "hangs from bars", & moves with bars or frame; not wheel? Something like a portier rack, beefy & preferably with pannier mounts.

I've also been looking at bags or semi-rigid packs which hang from or sit atop the top-tube. Profile Design makes a few with nice lines but I have no idea their stitch quality or pockets, usage-friendly device sleeves, etc?

Anyone have any recommendations for triangle bags, top-tube hanging bags, top-tube topper packs, sturdy racks, etc, which will fit securely on an XL frame 2021 AM1000?

Hoping to enlist a friend to help me swap the rear brake light (the AM1000 has a brake light!?) for one that flashes, getting higher intensity & greatly improved visibility for the same draw. Probably the front too, though that's a bit trickier since I won't always want it to strobe: Oncoming people hate that! (I currently cap my flashing headlamp with my hand for oncoming traffic.) Might keep the stock headlight & fit lights on my helmet instead, for the rare occasions I'll need actual illumination.
My bike came with lights, fenders and a rear rack. I only included the rack as it was so cheap, but annoyingly the rear light was part of the rack! So when I removed the rack I was left with no rear light. Trying to find a decent rear light that also had break light capabilities wasn't so easy - most I found were "motorbike" types. A couple of options also seemed overly expensively for what was a basic red light. Many Google searches just brought up the light I already had. It seemed making/buying a new mount was the easiest option.

In any case, I have to say, I've not actually missed the built-in rear light and that's one reason I've not been so quick at replacing it. I have a couple of Lenyze rear lights that work well, strobe capable and very bright. I can also position them much better depending on what I'm carrying.

I was going to upgrade the front light to something like a Supernova M99, but as much as I like the built-in "integrated" lights idea, it also has downfalls.

1. Extra drain on the main battery. I know its not exactly huge but I just didn't see the point given rechargeable lights have plenty of ability.
2. I didn't want to permanently fit loads of expensive accessories given sometimes I like to ride this bike hard off-road, and if I take a tumble chances are I'll also end up breaking it.
3. If I was to ever park this bike anywhere. Being able to easily remove a £$£$£$£ worth of extra accessories seemed like a good idea! The bike is a thief magnet already without adding more bling!
4. I own other bikes, so I can also use these items on those bikes too.

For lighting on the front I've kept the light it came with. Its not great but it does the job. For when I need brighter lights I also bought a Exposure Toro Mk12. Its rechargeable, extremely well made and very bright. Standard high is 2000 lumens but it has "reflex technology" up to 3200 lumens depending on how you ride, so it gets brighter if you go faster, and reduces if you go slower. Not cheap, but maybe the best light I've used. Well recommended.

I knew I recognized it! I have the same one, minus one quick-release: Its threaded shaft broke, following a flat drop from a 5.5 inch curb, with nothing but bag, tablet, & 16oz bottle of water strapped inside. This is after uncounted miles & bouncing, under more load than that, so... YMMV!
Yeah the catch on the Beamrack is rubbish, you can easily over or under tighten the catch if you're not careful. Little too loose and it'll swing around, too tight and you risk breaking the shaft on the catch! It could be much improved. I've done quite a few miles with it and so far its been pretty good at staying in place, only moving slightly, but I can imagine as the rubber inserts wear out it will start swinging away.

So far its does the job I need it too though. I only carry a lightweight coat (British weather always rains at some point!), a drink, snacks and a few tools, so maybe 2-4kg max. With all the Covid stuff going on I've been touring around on my bike much more than normal so its been quite handy to have that extra storage space.

Long term I will have to find something better to replace it!

I liked the idea of a heavy-duty pusher trailer, until I discovered that the most obvious drive-balancing mechanism & the best hitch design are both patented with exclusive license given to companies that don't even sell high powered trailers, & the only ready-to-roll pusher trailer still on the market isn't even big enough for two bags of groceries. I don't like the idea of having to build an electric pusher trailer myself, experimentally, with out-of-pocket cash!
A big annoyance is the size of trailers. In the UK the maximum length for a bike trailer is 1.5 meters, which means the usable space for load carrying isn't much bigger than 2 bags of shopping. The Bafang Ultra has more than enough power to pull a bigger trailer.

I really really want to find a front rack that doesn't suck: better mount than just "hangs from bars", & moves with bars or frame; not wheel? Something like a portier rack, beefy & preferably with pannier mounts.

I've also been looking at bags or semi-rigid packs which hang from or sit atop the top-tube. Profile Design makes a few with nice lines but I have no idea their stitch quality or pockets, usage-friendly device sleeves, etc?

Anyone have any recommendations for triangle bags, top-tube hanging bags, top-tube topper packs, sturdy racks, etc, which will fit securely on an XL frame 2021 AM1000?

I'm afraid I can't really give any advice as i'm trying to find this too... As you know I have plans on buying a trailer at some point, but I've also been looking at the Topeak Tetrarack racks, the M2L for the rear, and the M1 for the front. Being able to remove it easily is a bonus for me as it will only have occasional use. I'll probably use those with Ortlieb panniers as they tend to be a good size.

Also I would really like to find a handlebar bag that can take a DSLR camera. Once again Topeak popped up in the google search with the Tourguide Handlebar Bag. Nice bag, padded interior, good size, would be perfect for a camera, but the reviews aren't great (mount sags with hardly any weight) and the mount looks like it will interfere with the display on the bike due to them both fitting to the same place.

The Ortlieb E-Glow handlebar bag was another option, but its not padded and has no dividers, so a little less secure for a camera. Mounting set is sold separately too, adding extra expense but they do have a "E-Bike" mount available.

It would be good to hear if anyone has any ideas! :)

Last edited:
My bike came with lights, fenders and a rear rack. I only included the rack as it was so cheap, but annoyingly the rear light was part of the rack! So when I removed the rack I was left with no rear light. Trying to find a decent rear light that also had break light capabilities wasn't so easy - most I found were "motorbike" types. A couple of options also seemed overly expensively for what was a basic red light. Many Google searches just brought up the light I already had. It seemed making/buying a new mount was the easiest option.

Likewise: I finally asked a friend for help & hopefully we'll just make something that fits.

In any case, I have to say, I've not actually missed the built-in rear light and that's one reason I've not been so quick at replacing it. I have a couple of Lenyze rear lights that work well, strobe capable and very bright. I can also position them much better depending on what I'm carrying.

Which model? Some of those get cheap enough that I'd consider wiring them in place & calling it good.

I was going to upgrade the front light to something like a Supernova M99, but as much as I like the built-in "integrated" lights idea, it also has downfalls.

I don't want especially bright lights up front: That would make me night-blind to anything not in the lights. I don't plan on doing forest rides on moonless nights; the lights are just so I can be seen. (A flashing light when braking is especially effective.)

Also, the less switching or connecting I need to do before & after each ride, the better. In particular, I despise turning off & then later turning on & reconnecting paired devices all the time. Especially since having one device paired all the time can inhibit using another! If anything, I want the bike to have its own phone, with all such devices tied to that... & it call\text me if there's trouble. 😉

A light up front that's flickering brightly enough to be seen from a wide angle, without glaring up into my eyes or producing a cone-of-light effect, & doesn't have to be messed with before heading into a grocery store, is what I'm looking for... & anyway in the wilderness, a lantern serves me better than a spotlight.

Even so, if / when I run a camera, the camera will need more light than I do, so thank you very much for the front light recommendations! My strong preference will be for the widest-angle lamps possible while keeping the lens edges out of my own view: And again, everything outside the beam becomes harder to see, so I'll favor coverage over intensity in most cases.

Yeah the catch on the Beamrack is rubbish, you can easily over or under tighten the catch if you're not careful. Little too loose and it'll swing around, too tight and you risk breaking the shaft on the catch! It could be much improved. I've done quite a few miles with it and so far its been pretty good at staying in place, only moving slightly, but I can imagine as the rubber inserts wear out it will start swinging away.

So far its does the job I need it too though. I only carry a lightweight coat (British weather always rains at some point!), a drink, snacks and a few tools, so maybe 2-4kg max. With all the Covid stuff going on I've been touring around on my bike much more than normal so its been quite handy to have that extra storage space.

Interesting... Maybe I don't have the same exact model as yours: Mine creeps sideways to the right persistently even with rubber inserts, right up to He-Man clamp tightness. Then again, so does my rear fender, and my rear light! So I thought maybe I just ride crooked? 👣 Except the light creeps the other direction if I reverse its strap, so... yeah: I hate single-axis mounting!

A big annoyance is the size of trailers. In the UK the maximum length for a bike trailer is 1.5 meters, which means the usable space for load carrying isn't much bigger than 2 bags of shopping. The Bafang Ultra has more than enough power to pull a bigger trailer.
That sound like typical half-@$$ed safety regulation alright... Geez, 1.5m is nothing; does that count the hitch if it goes over the back wheel or hooks at the axle?

I don't know of any US states besides Florida & Georgia with any special restrictions on what counts as a bicycle trailer. In Denver, jalopy bike trailers can be seen dragging around with footprints bigger than some cars I've driven, & the only legal hurdle I found is that for road use all trailers supposedly should be registered with plates (!?! Ha, no. Not even close. Clearly this is not enforced.)

This one has a decent weight limit, but for >$300 it had better!
https://bakcou.com/products/folding-cargo-trailer

I'm afraid I can't really give any advice as i'm trying to find this too... As you know I have plans on buying a trailer at some point, but I've also been looking at the Topeak Tetrarack racks, the M2L for the rear, and the M1 for the front. Being able to remove it easily is a bonus for me as it will only have occasional use. I'll probably use those with Ortlieb panniers as they tend to be a good size.

Also I would really like to find a handlebar bag that can take a DSLR camera.

The Route Werks handlebar bag looks pretty awesome for an ebike (a bit heavy for anorexic touring bikes), & the materials actually seem worth $130. I especially like the latching flip top: I would use that regularly! It would definitely carry a DSLR in sleeve, right where one could get to it quickly, yet in relative safety compared to most "bags". Ought to be enough room for a good sized lens & some accoutrements as well.

A lot of people have had good results using a Handlebar Extender to attach slings & such, too...
https://www.addmotor.com/products/bracket-holder-extender
... but I honestly find fork-mounted front panniers and bar bags really awkward once they exceed a handful of pounds; & I think it's especially weird to mount racks onto the lowers of a suspension fork...

There are a few frames with integrated front porteur racks, which are pretty awesome (nice & stable, no funky front steering feel).
https://www.clevercycles.com/xtracycle-porteur-rack.html
Looks great but I don't have a frame to accept that (I don't think Xtracycle even makes a mid-drive in a size I could ride comfortably). I'd probably have to get something closer to this, & Gerry-rig it to stay in place since there's no frame mounts on my bikes:
https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/shop/options_accessories/options/aluminum-front-rack/
https://workcycles.com/product/classic-city-bike-front-carrier/

I feel like a big front bag system designed to mount to the handlebars but also strap to the fork shoulders, to create a rigid bottom with some meaningful lateral support to keep it all from bobbing toward the tire or twisting around, seems like an almost obvious solution. Sadly, I haven't found any such thing yet. The closest I've found are a couple stabilized bags (one of which is out of business). This too will probably end up a DIY setup.
https://www.arkel-od.com/rollpacker-25-bikepacking-handlebar-bag/

I want to use a Luna charger (which has a XT-60 Male connector) and am trying to identify what connector type is used for my Dorado battery charge connector. It is a 3 pin design and looks like a mini XLR, but has a the flat top.

I am fine soldering a new connector on the XT60 Female adapter I already have or buying a pre-made adapter (like the Luna one that is sold out)

FYI this is from a 2022 HT1000 with a 48V 21AH battery.

Does anyone know the name of this connector or have a link for a connector or adapter (Mini XLR MALE to FEMALE XT60).
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

I want to use a Luna charger (which has a XT-60 Male connector) and am trying to identify what connector type is used for my Dorado battery charge connector. It is a 3 pin design and looks like a mini XLR, but has a the flat top.

I am fine soldering a new connector on the XT60 Female adapter I already have or buying a pre-made adapter (like the Luna one that is sold out)

Does anyone know the name of this connector or have a link for a connector or adapter (Mini XLR MALE to FEMALE XT60).
View attachment 128819View attachment 128820

So, it's the "another small 3-pin" connector.
(Not clear from that page, but it's a mini-XLR...)

View attachment 128819View attachment 128820

Yup. XLR connectors do have a flat top.

The 48V@21Ah Reention Dorado battery case on the Frey AM1000 v5 we got, uses this charging connector too.

GreenBikeKit seems to have what you're looking for:

So, it's the "another small 3-pin" connector.
(Not clear from that page, but it's a mini-XLR...)

Yup. XLR connectors do have a flat top.

The 48V@21Ah Reention Dorado battery case on the Frey AM1000 v5 we got, uses this charging connector too.

GreenBikeKit seems to have what you're looking for:
Thanks ProphetZarquon that is exactly that I was looking for.

Thanks Tomjasz that was an interesting link about connectors.

So quick update from me, bit of back story I had an old bafang home made bike and it had throttle from standstill and I like it, to help get started now and again and especially on pulling out of busy junctions etc. I got the programming cable with mine, just to turn on that really. I mentioned earlier and it’s was pointed out you need different firmware to achieve this, when I posted the question I also email Frey, and the other guy on Facebook . Frey have sent me a link to a update file, which I’ve just installed and it’s all sorted, throttle from standstill. I know you can request this on your order, so you don’t have to do it yourself, buf for me its handy now, if I want to turn it off or mess about with settings etc in the future.
Did Frey provide you with the programming cable? Or did you purchase it separately?

Back