Known Issues & Problems with Frey Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I'm going to get some boxes too....Hopefully boost the power and run the higher wattage innotrace/X1 controller.

Saying all that tho... I'm not in a huge rush about upgrading the controller. I think the stock controller will be fine for now with a little tuning but we will see....

There have been quite a lot of people asking Frey about 52v batteries for the EX, so they might bring one out themselves, or in a future upgraded 52v EX... So despite what I was saying about quality - at least means you can just buy it no messing around. But that does mean more wait time on deliveries from China again tho!..

You're not missing out much by not being on FB! haha :D

give me a shout if you are thinking of buying some spare boxes, if the price is ok then maybe we can get them shipped together then sort it when there in the uk? just a though.

i was arguing far too much on FB haha

Frey do a 52v for the AM1000

how much is the X1 controller with shipping to the UK?

Sure that's no prob!... When the batteries arrive I'll check them over for Part Numbers, just to make sure dealing with right company haha, and then start asking for prices, but we will get this sorted out!

Not sure why Frey didn't do a 52v version of the EX from the start tbh.... the demand was there from AM1000 customers..

Watt Wagons are advertising the X1 at $700 at the mo. But I think you need to ship your motor to them for installation/setup, and then they send it back to you. So you probably have to pay postage each way on top of that too. I think it takes about a week or two. There was somewhere in Germany doing it too, their one is called the Exess Controller. I think you need to email to order it, as its not on their website (or I can't find it lol) but I've read about people purchasing from Exess.

It's not exactly a cheap upgrade... and somewhat annoying that you can never "try before you buy" :D

brill about the battery packs.

i have seen the exess bikes and was looking at buying one before purchasing the Frey. it looks awesome that bike.

that will be expensive for the X1 for me i really hope the bafang isnt as bad as people are saying, i have spoken with a few guys who have it and they say its not bad at all it all depends on what you are doing with it.

the weather in Oldham yesterday was fantastic and all i could do is stare at my bike on the front room and dream of going out on it hahha the misses is getting pissed its just sat there....:cool:

I had it on the short list too, its a great bike!

I have to admit the dual batteries on the Frey, on top of everything else being roughly equal, done the deal for me... But I wish Frey could paint their frames more like the European makers... They do some great colour schemes.

Yep the price of the controllers means I won't be buying straight away.. I'll have to save a few pennies to get it. I think it will feel just fine tbh.. A little tinkering with the settings should be all that's needed.

I'll probably save the money on the controller and just re-paint the bike... I'll put a go-faster stripe on it, adds at least 3000w haha :D

Quick update: after sending details of my problem and a video to Ivy at Frey, she put me in contact with Bafang support, who sent me a replacement motor.

I just finished swapping out the motor today. I only did a quick ride around the block, but so far it seems this solved my problem: no more clicking. Not only that, but the new motor is also noticeably quieter and has throttle-from-stop. That latter feature wasn't really something I cared about, though it did come in handy for making sure the new motor was hooked up properly when I was working on it and didn't yet have cranks or a sprocket installed.

Regarding the motor swap, I found Simon's video on regreasing the Ultra pretty helpful, though it sure made it seem a lot easier than what I experienced. Took me most of the weekend. His video is here:

A few notes for others planning to remove and reinstall an Ultra on an AM1000:
  • To remove the crank arms, you need an ISIS spline crank puller. I used the Park Tools CWP-7.
  • To remove the sprocket, you need a special Bafang socket to get the main sprocket lock ring off. It's the same tool that prior Bafang mid-drive motors used. I used a BikeHand Bottom Bracket Tool, and it worked OK, but if I were doing it again I probably would buy the pricier special Luna Cycles socket. The lever arm on the BikeHand tool meant it didn't work well on my impact driver, which is maybe part of the reason I had so much trouble getting the lockring off.
  • In Simon's video he just grabs the sprocket with a towel to hold it while he unbolts the sprocket lock ring. My experience wasn't nearly so easy. I really struggled with it, and wished I had a sprocket whip tool to hold the sprocket in place. I finally discovered a recessed bolt hole on the Ultra case that could be used for leverage to prevent the sprocket from turning, and then by striking the bracket tool with a hammer I was able to slowly work it off. It was really on there, apparently secured with some sort of locking compound and with locking teeth on the lockring itself.
  • Simon's video explains that the three bolts holding the motor to the frame need to be hammered out, but even after watching it I was surprised at how hard that step was. Those bolts did not want to come out.
  • When it came time to bolt the new motor back in, I discovered why the bolts were previously so hard to get out: the motor holes didn't line up with the frame holes very well. With two bolts in, there was maybe 1-2mm misalignment for the third bolt. After much cursing, hammering, and a bit of filing to bevel the misaligned edges, I finally got all three bolts in.
  • Simon's video also makes short work of packing the wires into the very tiny space under the plastic bolt cover. There's no real trick here, just a fair amount of pushing and yelling.
  • I really hope I never have to swap the motor again. Especially when it's 90 degrees in the garage.
I also adjusted the rear derailleur by following the Park Tools video while I was working on the bike. Probably should have done that sooner, because it certainly seems to shift better now.
DO NOT put this much grease in any motor, please do some proper research.

"Overgreasing can lead to high operating temperatures, collapsed seals and in the case of greased electric motors, energy loss and failures. ... This can result in accelerated wear of the rolling elements and then component failure. Seal damage is another negative side effect of overgreasing"

A lot of people use Grease 22 in the motors but I'm wondering if a molybdenum based grease would be better... A lot of manufactures (like Bosch) use this type of grease in electrical items such as drills, especially in their planetary gearboxes etc... It has good properties for fast moving bearings/surfaces, very low friction, and I think it maybe longer lasting too. I think I'll probably give it a try.

A lot of people use Grease 22 in the motors but I'm wondering if a molybdenum based grease would be better... A lot of manufactures (like Bosch) use this type of grease in electrical items such as drills, especially in their planetary gearboxes etc... It has good properties for fast moving bearings/surfaces, very low friction, and I think it maybe longer lasting too. I think I'll probably give it a try.
I would think that would be better, i don't think that Bafang will be using the best grease possible, these motors are running at higher and torquier revs

Just seen this on Facebook. If you're planning on using your bike off-road on the trails you maybe better taking off the Kickstand. At least two people report that their kickstands snapped off.

128540070_10158167844688611_2086085584311014884_o.jpg
128706075_10158167844888611_2130469865180192246_o.jpg

Just seen this on Facebook. If you're planning on using your bike off-road on the trails you maybe better taking off the Kickstand. At least two people report that their kickstands snapped off.

128540070_10158167844688611_2086085584311014884_o.jpg
128706075_10158167844888611_2130469865180192246_o.jpg

Was that a CC?

That photo is an EX.. but I think the same would apply to the CC as well if you take it over the bumpy stuff. I think the kickstand is the same.

The kickstand on these bikes are quite big and hang off the chainstay, so rock about no doubt with the suspension bouncing up and down. Plus, it sticks out a fair bit too, so you could always catch it on rocks/branches off road.

I think I'm going to change it for a different one to be one the safe side.

That photo is an EX.. but I think the same would apply to the CC as well if you take it over the bumpy stuff. I think the kickstand is the same.

The kickstand on these bikes are quite big and hang off the chainstay, so rock about no doubt with the suspension bouncing up and down. Plus, it sticks out a fair bit too, so you could always catch it on rocks/branches off road.

I think I'm going to change it for a different one to be one the safe side.
I dont want to even ask if you got a battery yet

1607567994944.jpeg

my yellow commuter it was shipped mid September but the ship was damaged and we are still waiting for delivery.

my yellow commuter it was shipped mid September but the ship was damaged and we are still waiting for delivery.
I wrote on another thread about a ship that had lost cargo in high seas. I wonder if you were waiting on the same ship. An article I found showed a lot of damage to the containers.

Hopefully that was a different ship. Ours was sailing one month earlier. it was somehow damaged and needed to go into a Seattle port for repairs and then was headed for Los Angeles. As far as I understand it the container was picked up from customs and we should be receiving local FedEx shipping update soon.🙏🏻

Back