Known Issues & Problems with Bosch Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Speed sensor! Wonder how that would give you a rough feeling through your motor, its not even fixed on your motor! 🤔 Let us know how it goes.

Took some time but the speed sensor came in and was swapped out. Immediately out of the shop the speedometer wasn't working, flipping to measuring between full speed and 1/2 speed. I returned to them with a video of it and they determined it was likely the magnet was missing a revolution on occasion. While they couldn't reproduce it hanging on the rack they tinkered with it and had me try again and the speedometer issue seemed resolved.

I rode 6km home and the first 2 I almost thought the issue was resolved but unfortunately the last 4km the problem remained: the max speed of 32km/hr is unobtainable on flat ground even in turbo. The cutoff kicks in variably and seemingly aggressively accompanied with a vibration felt through the bike anywhere between 28-30km/hr. To make sure this wasn't all in my head I hopped on my wife's Gazelle immediately when I got home and hers behaves as expected. Smooth power delivery to 32km/hr before a proper cutoff.

I've reached back out to them for next ideas, I could possibly pass on the circlip suggestion again but suspect they will be sensitive to outside advice.

@Stephen - Bosch Team tagging you as suggested by another member if you have any insight it would be appreciated.

Took some time but the speed sensor came in and was swapped out. Immediately out of the shop the speedometer wasn't working, flipping to measuring between full speed and 1/2 speed. I returned to them with a video of it and they determined it was likely the magnet was missing a revolution on occasion. While they couldn't reproduce it hanging on the rack they tinkered with it and had me try again and the speedometer issue seemed resolved.

I rode 6km home and the first 2 I almost thought the issue was resolved but unfortunately the last 4km the problem remained: the max speed of 32km/hr is unobtainable on flat ground even in turbo. The cutoff kicks in variably and seemingly aggressively accompanied with a vibration felt through the bike anywhere between 28-30km/hr. To make sure this wasn't all in my head I hopped on my wife's Gazelle immediately when I got home and hers behaves as expected. Smooth power delivery to 32km/hr before a proper cutoff.

I've reached back out to them for next ideas, I could possibly pass on the circlip suggestion again but suspect they will be sensitive to outside advice.

@Stephen - Bosch Team tagging you as suggested by another member if you have any insight it would be appreciated.
Sounds like the circlip is still broken, sapping the motor of power because the more power you/the motor puts in the harder the crankshaft gear is forced against the outer motor casing, sapping its efficiency. If the torque sensor is fitted at the wrong angle (this happens as you tighten it up) the power delivery will be intermittent and do exactly what yours is doing. It may kick-up a code 510 now and again too.
Don't forget you can always send it to me at www.performancelinebearings.com we will have it sorted in no time.

Hey Jason,

Thanks for tagging me. A few questions for you--would you mind uploading a picture of your bike?

Is the drive unit on your bike a Performance Line CX? Assuming yes, since you mentioned it being a MTB. We also have a Performance Line Cruise drive unit.
Which specific drive unit does your wife's Gazelle have?

Could you describe the vibration you feel? Is it in the cranks/pedals?

When you say "unobtainable," what do you exactly mean by that? The Performance Line drive unit will provide assistance up to 32km/hr in your scenario. Dependent on mode of assistance and other factors, the feeling as you approach the "cutoff" will vary.

Sounds like the circlip is still broken, sapping the motor of power because the more power you/the motor puts in the harder the crankshaft gear is forced against the outer motor casing, sapping its efficiency. If the torque sensor is fitted at the wrong angle (this happens as you tighten it up) the power delivery will be intermittent and do exactly what yours is doing. It may kick-up a code 510 now and again too.
Don't forget you can always send it to me at www.performancelinebearings.com we will have it sorted in no time.
Appreciate the offer but it's brand new I'd hate to be sending it anywhere at this point but won't rule it out.

Hey Jason,

Thanks for tagging me. A few questions for you--would you mind uploading a picture of your bike?

Is the drive unit on your bike a Performance Line CX? Assuming yes, since you mentioned it being a MTB. We also have a Performance Line Cruise drive unit.
Which specific drive unit does your wife's Gazelle have?

Could you describe the vibration you feel? Is it in the cranks/pedals?

When you say "unobtainable," what do you exactly mean by that? The Performance Line drive unit will provide assistance up to 32km/hr in your scenario. Dependent on mode of assistance and other factors, the feeling as you approach the "cutoff" will vary.

Hi Stephen, picture below of Moustache Friday 27 FS, sorry it doesn't have the drive unit pictured I can get that later if needed. It actually isn't the CX, it is just the Performance Line the same as on my wife's Gazelle Arroyo C8. It's hard to describe the vibration but yes I feel it down in the crank/pedals all the way up through to the handlebars. Admittedly I haven't ridden my wife's as much but I haven't felt the same in hers.

In regards to the "unobtainable" speed what I mean is even in Turbo mode on a very flat surface or in some cases a slight decline I just can't reach 32km/hr, the cutoff comes in around 28-29 sometimes but not always with the vibration/grinding feeling. My wife's the assistance cuts out quite nicely right around 32km/hr.

All that said I did learn something new on my commute yesterday. My wheel circumference looked to be quite inaccurately set all the way down (can't remember the exact value, 1800's I think). With it set to what I measured of around 2220 the assistance cutout is closer to a display of 32km/hr. Is that an expected observation/experience? Unfortunately even with the circumference increase the vibration experience is no different.

IMG_20200527_160517.jpg

I played with the circonference since my FS5 has problem reaching 30km. I add and substracted 50 with no noticeable change.
Will try 100 next time. No noise or problem so far. Cross my finger.

Appreciate the offer but it's brand new I'd hate to be sending it anywhere at this point but won't rule it out.

Hi Stephen, picture below of Moustache Friday 27 FS, sorry it doesn't have the drive unit pictured I can get that later if needed. It actually isn't the CX, it is just the Performance Line the same as on my wife's Gazelle Arroyo C8. It's hard to describe the vibration but yes I feel it down in the crank/pedals all the way up through to the handlebars. Admittedly I haven't ridden my wife's as much but I haven't felt the same in hers.

In regards to the "unobtainable" speed what I mean is even in Turbo mode on a very flat surface or in some cases a slight decline I just can't reach 32km/hr, the cutoff comes in around 28-29 sometimes but not always with the vibration/grinding feeling. My wife's the assistance cuts out quite nicely right around 32km/hr.

All that said I did learn something new on my commute yesterday. My wheel circumference looked to be quite inaccurately set all the way down (can't remember the exact value, 1800's I think). With it set to what I measured of around 2220 the assistance cutout is closer to a display of 32km/hr. Is that an expected observation/experience? Unfortunately even with the circumference increase the vibration experience is no different.

View attachment 56503
Nice bike !

Every day I ride it a bit more learned. I think I need to steer the conversation away from just being at the speed cutout as the vibration feeling is quite regularly occurring at low speeds, 17km/hr under low load.

Last edited:
Every day I ride it a bit more learned. I think I need to steer the conversation away from just being at the speed cutout as it is quite regularly occurring at low speeds, 17km/hr under low load.
Hmmm.... sure sounds like Moustache will be replacing something made by Bosch.

Intuvia display holder - this is the second ebike that I have had the same issue whereby one of the (brass) contact points has come out. Contacting Bosch the only explanation they could come up with was that the hot weather may have expanded the plastic holder to allow the contact to dislodge. Not sure if anyone else out there has had the same issue?

Attachments

• 1232FD73-6298-477E-BEE3-0EF25964AE68.jpeg
    1232FD73-6298-477E-BEE3-0EF25964AE68.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 343
Every day I ride it a bit more learned. I think I need to steer the conversation away from just being at the speed cutout as the vibration feeling is quite regularly occurring at low speeds, 17km/hr under low load.
I suggest having your bike checked out by your dealer. When we hear of vibrations coming from the bike, quite often the source is coming from somewhere else and typically in the drivetrain.

For your speed calibration / circumference calibration here is a basic video I put together which will resolve most speed variations on your bike.

hope this helps,

Will

I suggest having your bike checked out by your dealer. When we hear of vibrations coming from the bike, quite often the source is coming from somewhere else and typically in the drivetrain.

For your speed calibration / circumference calibration here is a basic video I put together which will resolve most speed variations on your bike.

hope this helps,

Will
There is no attachment Will?

Intuvia display holder - this is the second ebike that I have had the same issue whereby one of the (brass) contact points has come out. Contacting Bosch the only explanation they could come up with was that the hot weather may have expanded the plastic holder to allow the contact to dislodge. Not sure if anyone else out there has had the same issue?
Interesting...may I ask do you use the set screw to keep the Intuvia locked or had you removed that?

From what I have seen, you must unmount the intuvia holder, place the display at it’s place and fix the screw on the back of the mount. The display will be there to end of time. The screw is very thin and small. I have one but did not make up my mind as to use it yet.

Anyone ever have a replacement motor come in with stiff pedaling? Sent the bike out with the customer thinking it would loosen up, but the bike came back. Not only is pedaling stiff (chain disconnected, the pedals stop almost immediately), but the bike is only getting about half the range (diagnostic report shows 10 Wh/km for the old motor, 17 Wh/km for the new motor).

I pulled everything off the drive side yesterday. Removing the plastic bearing cover add-on loosened up the drive considerably, but there is still more drag than on other motors in the shop. I put the cover back on and lubricated it with thin grease. It’s still looser than new, but not as it should be.

Yes, this is normal and will settle in 50 to 100 miles. It's caused buy a stiff main motor bearing where it's tight on the drive sprocket boss and this coupled with the new seal and silly felt washer, saps big power for a while.

@Haibike Rider, thanks for the info. That was my initial thought, as well. I'll try to put some more miles on their bike and see if it loosens up.

@webcurl, not directly, but I have used a GoalZero Sherpa 100AC power bank with the Compact charger to make the last 15 miles of a 150 mile ride. Since I have access to a bunch of PowerPacks, I've opted to carry more battery with me than to use solar on long rides.

However, I have solar panels installed at the house, so my bikes usually are running on solar power.

New potential known issue: Nyon '21 does not seem to support bike lane routing here in the US. Every route I plan either on the app, device or web, regardless of "Fast, Scenic or Short" takes me on regular roads even though there are bike lanes everywhere. For instance a trip from the southern tip of Manhattan to say the Intrepid Museum (a docked aircraft carrier) in midtown does not route you over NYC's preeminent bike lane the Hudson River Greenway along which the Intrepid is docked. This is becoming a showstopper for me when using what IMO is the differentiating feature of the Nyon as compared to Kiox. I spoke to Bosch support who claims they have a single Nyon device between their 2 support office, and I compared this to buying a boat GPS Nav system and it routing me over regular roads. Even the cheapest bike GPS systems are aware of bike lanes.

And before I get the replies about the woes of converged devices, this is software. Fixing their back-end to prioritize the mode of transportation this is made for is the issue and should have been priority A1 for the Nyon team!

Back