Knocking Freehub and Cassette Removal?

Bosus

Hi all - first post! I've picked up a ton of great info lurking on this forum over the past month or two.

I just upgraded to a Crosscurrent S from my first ebike and am loving it... except for the knock in the rear wheel! I've done all of the upstream diagnostics - the knock is periodic with pedaling, but goes away with coasting or throttle-only. Doesn't care if I'm sitting on my seat or standing. I can get it to happen when I'm off the bike by turning the crank slowly in either direction when the bike is in a low gear. This is pointing me to a bad freehub, but before I do that Juiced tech support suggested I loosen the cassette lock ring a bit to see if it was over torqued. The only other thin that I noticed is that the disc side of the wheel doesn't want to sit all the way down in the dropout. Axle is firmly in the dropout, but stops about 1mm from the bottom of the dropout.

I picked up a chain whip, cassette lock ring tool and a freehub tool yesterday, got the wheel off the frame, and can't get the cassette tool over the post that aligns and locks the axle into the dropouts. Do those posts come off, do I have the wrong cassette ring tool (it will fit in the ring if I can get it past the post), or is there another good way to remove the cassette lock ring? Thanks!

Loosening the cassette didn't work. I also removed it and there's nothing readily off about the freehub itself. The clicking/poppping happens when pedaling forward and backward, but not coasting. The wheel itself can be completely still as long as the chain is turning the freehub. There's some correlation to the gear the bike is in, but barrel tension is correct. Any other ideas before I ask Juiced to send me a new rear wheel?

Just thinking out loud here. My wife's Pedego developed a clicking sound. I think it only happened when pedaling forward. It was bearings gone bad in the motor. Pedego swapped out the whole rear tire assembly. Might have nothing to do with your problem; it's pretty rare for a geared hub motor to have that kind of problem.

Did you check the bolts on the cranks and pedals? A loose crank will pop. After that check the bolts on the seat and seat post. Wobbling back and forth on the seat can make a creak or pop.

@Bosus; crouch behind the rear wheel and turn one of the cranks backwards slowly while you watch the chain as it rides over the sprockets. You may have a stiff link in the chain that's causing it to make a small hop each time that pair of links goes over the sprockets. Also agree that loose crank bolts are another good possibility.

If there's no knocking with coasting or throttle only it's not going to be motor bearings.

You also mention that the axle doesn't seat all the way to the back of the dropouts. That would be ok as long as the axle appears to be level and parallel to the ground. If it's skewed or slightly misaligned that might place the smallest sprockets at an angle that allows the master link of the chain (which is slightly wider than other links in some cases) to rub on the frame as it passes.

Just some thoughts; good luck on figuring this out. If you get stuck, go visit any bike shop with experienced techs; I really think this is a non-motor issue.

Thanks, everyone! I've isolated it to the rear wheel area. I can actually feel the pops holding a finger against the end of the axle when I crank slowly backward. My first attempt was to have the LBS replace the bottom bracket, so that's not it, and I've swapped out and tightened the pedals so they're out too. I replaced the sticky master link with an EZ link, and I no longer see any kinks as I run the chain through the cogs. I brought it by my LBS, he agreed it sounded like a freehub problem, so I'll replace that as my last DIY attempt before getting in line for an LBS appointment.

Anyone have experience removing the freehub from the CCS? I took a stab at it today and backed off after removing the cassette and two washers inside the freehub didn't free it up. Also, I removed the chain and the click/pop persists 1x/rotation when manually spinning the rear wheel, so it's not that.

I'd be interest in seeing how that work out you since I may have to do the same thing soon on my CC. I've got over 7,000 miles on the freehub though & I think it's just wearing out & developing more play then normal. Finally after riding through heavy rain yesterday; this morning it was crunchy & sticking causing the chain to jump a few times when I slacked off the pedals (think chainsuck). Fortunately it feels better now after some WD40 and light oil.

Back