Kiox Heart Rate Monitors

It seems we have worn two different Polar OH-1 :)

Don't you think Steve there is a progress with anything? I hated the thought of securing a chest strap myself (I am single now), and with the complication the strap would create prior to my any longer ride... OH1 met my requirements totally. I experienced no glitches, and the battery life has been far longer than I stay outdoor on my rides. (It decidedly worked longer than 8 hours gross ride time on one of my recent trips -- 110 km -- just checked).
try three sleeves. I have base layer shirt and coat on it gets to be a a pain every day. I had to charge the polar 3 times a week some times. you forget how much I ride. I have compared the polar and the wahoo and my apple watch. I commute on streets so my heart rate is up and down constantly and the opticals just don't keep up stoplights suck for keeping your heart rate up. but unless you watch it every ride on a real time basis you wont notice. I ride the same paths on commuting so I could really see how the perform. short hills none of the opticals could keep up they all would be delayed in reaching the high point of my HR the wahoo was worse then the polar. my apple watch was better. but the chest HRM would smoothy raise as I made it up the hill. I I have watched this for almost 2 years. Now it kinda sucks with wear a chest strap but placement is less fiddly.I have my watch on one wrist and a tattoo on the other. Bosch connects to the chest Harm much better too.

try three sleeves. I have base layer shirt and coat on it gets to be a a pain every day.
I wear the Polar first and turn it on before I put the clothes on.

I had to charge the polar 3 times a week some times.
Do you charge your e-bike battery 3 times a week or rather daily? What about your smartphone?

you forget how much I ride.
You're riding a lot but for short distances. My rides are more rare but far longer. Are you telling me you wear your chest strap in the morning to take it off in the evening?
but unless you watch it every ride on a real time basis you wont notice.

HR monitors are the roadie thing. A roadie starts his ride and doesn't stop before 180 kms.

Bosch connects to the chest Harm much better too.
OK, I ride Specialized, and use Wahoo and/or TCD. No issues.

I'd say to each their own :)

I wear the Polar first and turn it on before I put the clothes on.

Do you charge your e-bike battery 3 times a week or rather daily? What about your smartphone?

You're riding a lot but for short distances. My rides are more rare but far longer. Are you telling me you wear your chest strap in the morning to take it off in the evening?

HR monitors are the roadie thing. A roadie starts his ride and doesn't stop before 180 kms.

OK, I ride Specialized, and use Wahoo and/or TCD. No issues.

I'd say to each their own :)
the problem is with the polar is you cant turn it on when it is under clothes like the wahoo. I used the wahoo all last year during winter. I left it on all day and just turned it on and off as needed. the polar you would've to turn on and leave on all day and that would not last me through my whole day and night ride. I do longer rides too on weekends. hell I trend to ride 30 to 40 miles a day on weekdays.
changing something else everyday is just a hassle. Just for my bike I have bike battery or two two garmin and gamin radar and soon lights for night two lumen helmets so not wanting to charge a HRM every day. the chest strap sometimes I can wear it all day sometimes not depending on what I am doing at work but I put the strap on then I dress I put on the sensor before a ride take it off after the ride. pretty easy. trying to deal with at least two sleeves or three if I put my coat on is a pain in the butt. does that all lat year. but then I could turn the wahoo on and off under the clothes. but watching all three opticals and two at a time one hooked to the kiox and one to the garmin I can see how they do with each other. the opticals take longer to drop down when I am at a stop light and longer to get to the peak the nI climb short hills. sometimes my heart rate is dropping before they reach the peak. the Apple Watch or garmin watch are more accurate. the the Apple Watch is useless at sending a signal and you cant access it with winter clothes on. the garmin will transmit but I already have a Apple Watch and again you cant access the way in the winter. I wish they made a softer strap then it would be no big deal at all.

the problem is with the polar is you cant turn it on when it is under clothes like the wahoo. I used the wahoo all last year during winter. I left it on all day and just turned it on and off as needed. the polar you would've to turn on and leave on all day and that would not last me through my whole day and night ride. I do longer rides too on weekends. hell I trend to ride 30 to 40 miles a day on weekdays.
changing something else everyday is just a hassle. Just for my bike I have bike battery or two two garmin and gamin radar and soon lights for night two lumen helmets so not wanting to charge a HRM every day. the chest strap sometimes I can wear it all day sometimes not depending on what I am doing at work but I put the strap on then I dress I put on the sensor before a ride take it off after the ride. pretty easy. trying to deal with at least two sleeves or three if I put my coat on is a pain in the butt. does that all lat year. but then I could turn the wahoo on and off under the clothes. but watching all three opticals and two at a time one hooked to the kiox and one to the garmin I can see how they do with each other. the opticals take longer to drop down when I am at a stop light and longer to get to the peak the nI climb short hills. sometimes my heart rate is dropping before they reach the peak. the Apple Watch or garmin watch are more accurate. the the Apple Watch is useless at sending a signal and you cant access it with winter clothes on. the garmin will transmit but I already have a Apple Watch and again you cant access the way in the winter. I wish they made a softer strap then it would be no big deal at all.
Good points. I ride typically 20 miles a day three to four maybe five days a week. I am on a Domane HP and one battery charge is probably a hair under 70 miles. I do like the Polar but I need to be careful that I am not trying to look at too much on my Kiox and not at the road! When I motorcycled my wife bought me a Garmin for my touring bike and it became: Keep your eyes on the road! I do have a short attention span. Thanks for all of the info. I think I started this string.

I was looking into heart monitors for the Kiox when I heard about Oura rings. I have the original version and the latest version 3 model out this month has a lot of great features including a heart rate monitor function while walking/running/riding. My current version only monitor's heart rate while sleeping. It's a little spendy but has a great easy to use phone app and the overall function and convenience is hard to beat (much better than a watch solution from a comfort and convenience standpoint). Placed my order for the Ver 3 and will post comments when I get it.

Also, has anyone figure out what the tiny gauge in the upper left of the Kiox display is? I'm d=guessing it's speed related but it really seems to serve no useful function.

I was looking into heart monitors for the Kiox when I heard about Oura rings. I have the original version and the latest version 3 model out this month has a lot of great features including a heart rate monitor function while walking/running/riding. My current version only monitor's heart rate while sleeping. It's a little spendy but has a great easy to use phone app and the overall function and convenience is hard to beat (much better than a watch solution from a comfort and convenience standpoint). Placed my order for the Ver 3 and will post comments when I get it.

Also, has anyone figure out what the tiny gauge in the upper left of the Kiox display is? I'm d=guessing it's speed related but it really seems to serve no useful function.
I think it is showing where your are compared to your average speed for that ride.

I think it is showing where your are compared to your average speed for that ride.
I have not seen the Kiox since I went to a Nyon but the speedometer shows your average speed. the color changes when it is on the left of top and then past the center when your over your average. its a pretty good system simple and easy to see how your doing.

Re heart rate monitors. I was using the HR output app on my Garmin Fenix 6. It has the usual sloppy data common to optical HRMs.

I am now using the Garmin HR Dual chest strap that outputs both Ant+ and Bluetooth. It is far more stable and accurate as a monitor and connects with my Nyon 2 much more reliably. I have a Hammerhead Karoo 2 cycle computer which I use primarily on my acoustic gravel bike but I also like to bring it along on the Cannondale Topstone Neo 3 as it has superior mapping and added data capabilities. The Garmin HR Dual is easily able to provide HR data to both the Karro 2 and Nyon at the same time.

Re heart rate monitors. I was using the HR output app on my Garmin Fenix 6. It has the usual sloppy data common to optical HRMs.

I am now using the Garmin HR Dual chest strap that outputs both Ant+ and Bluetooth. It is far more stable and accurate as a monitor and connects with my Nyon 2 much more reliably. I have a Hammerhead Karoo 2 cycle computer which I use primarily on my acoustic gravel bike but I also like to bring it along on the Cannondale Topstone Neo 3 as it has superior mapping and added data capabilities. The Garmin HR Dual is easily able to provide HR data to both the Karro 2 and Nyon at the same time.
I had the garmin hooked up to the Kiox for a bit then tried a garmin watch and then I could not get the garmin HR to work again. but now that I know tricks it may work. but the polar has a much nicer strap with a buckle and it is pretty bullet proof when it comes to the nyon compared to anything else.

I'm struggling. Garmin Venu 2 pairs with my 2020 Kiox but records 0 BPM. Wahoo Tickr pairs, but crashes the Kiox when trying to connect.

I'm struggling. Garmin Venu 2 pairs with my 2020 Kiox but records 0 BPM. Wahoo Tickr pairs, but crashes the Kiox when trying to connect.
I got my garmin chest to work then it did not. but that was before I knew you have to turn it on after you turn on the kiox. so make sure you do that and see if it works.

Back