Kinekt seat post + Specialized 'Mirror' seat

GuruUno

I have had for several months a S-Works Power with Mirror saddle (carbon) on my 2022 Vado 5.0.
I also have the KINEKT Active Suspension Seatpost ( https://cirruscycles.com/products/kinekt-active-suspension-seatpost )
I've been a user since the day of the release of the product(s) (both items).
A few weeks ago a "clicking" was heard while pedaling.
I had posted a separate inquiry here about that thinking it was the motor cover bolts.
It wasn't.
It was the rails of the seat.
I called Kinekt today.
"Jake" said they have done no studies of using any carbon fiber seats with the Kinet posts.
I asked to have it escalated to an engineer.
He said they no longer have any engineers.
Just sharing my dilemma.
Is it the Seatpost/spring causing stress on the seat rails, or????

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    447.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    530.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 194
If anything a suspension seat post should put less stress on carbon fiber rails (or any other material) than a fixed, rigid seatpost with no compliance.

I have the same setup with the Power Pro Mirror (titanium rails). So far so good. Are you sure your weight doesn't come into play? or hit a big drop/bump that bottomed out?

I guess I would just assume it is a specialized warranty issue. Carbon fiber and Titanium rails do break on bike seats.

I have the same setup with the Power Pro Mirror (titanium rails). So far so good. Are you sure your weight doesn't come into play? or hit a big drop/bump that bottomed out?

I guess I would just assume it is a specialized warranty issue.
I've got the "XL" model of the Kinekt, I'm 228 lbs.

I guess I meant the saddle not the seatpost. You don't exceed the limit assuming you didn't have over 12 lbs worth of clothing and equipment on.

WHAT ARE THE SADDLE WEIGHT LIMITS?

Specialized saddles with carbon rails, such as the S-Works Power with Mirror and the Phenom Pro Elaston, have a weight limit of 240 pounds.

Technically speaking, carbon fibre saddle rails are not compatible with seat-posts designed for steel rails. Just saying.

It may not matter to the OP at this point, but I have the S-Works Power Mirror seat mounted on the Roval Terra Carbon Seat Post. The two have properly mated rails and clamps, so there aren’t any warranty issues.

This post offers 18mm of compliance. While that’s not a tremendous amount of compliance, combined with the Power Mirror seat it’s pretty darn good….the combined compliance is significant enough that it’s noticeable, but not annoying at all. My Creo came with the post, and after installing the Power Mirror, I have no need or desire for a suspension post.

Technically speaking, carbon fibre saddle rails are not compatible with seat-posts designed for steel rails. Just saying.
And my point is that I called Kinekt today and "Jake" tells me that they have never performed any studies or tests that utilize carbon fiber seats with their posts. That's all.

From the product page:
Note: 7 x 9mm carbon rails require a compatible seatpost clamp or an adapter kit.

I assume the Kinekt is designed for standard 7x7 round rails
Thank you
Upon looking at the link you have provided, I'm seeing this:
Is this a requirement for the saddle to use on the Kinekt?
Help educate me, I'm not fully understanding the 3rd party link, is this something that Specialized requires to "cross fit" a carbon saddle to a non-compliant seatpost.

Last edited:
carbon fiber is meant to be clamped consistently/evenly. you can’t clamp a 9x7mm carbon fiber oval in a clamp designed for a 7x7mm circle. the forces will be applied unevenly, eventually shearing or damaging the carbon fiber in some way.

specialized sells two kinds of seat clamps, one for 7x7, and one for 9x7. the instructions with the power mirror (i have a couple specialized carbon rail seats) are pretty clear on this.

this is not kinekt’s problem nor specialized’s. presumably there is an appropriate kinekt clamp for an elliptical rail saddle, although very few people put super light saddles on suspension posts, for obvious reasons.

carbon fiber is meant to be clamped consistently/evenly. you can’t clamp a 9x7mm carbon fiber oval in a clamp designed for a 7x7mm circle. the forces will be applied unevenly, eventually shearing or damaging the carbon fiber in some way.

specialized sells two kinds of seat clamps, one for 7x7, and one for 9x7. the instructions with the power mirror (i have a couple specialized carbon rail seats) are pretty clear on this.

this is not kinekt’s problem nor specialized’s. presumably there is an appropriate kinekt clamp for an elliptical rail saddle, although very few people put super light saddles on suspension posts, for obvious reasons.
Not knowing is my excuse. I "blindly" ordered the new 'Mirror' seat when originally introduced. My LBS received it and installed it. At no time was I advised by the LBS manager (who put it on the bike for me) that I would need different seat clamps, etc., or even that the seat was available in two versions (other than size) All he did was eagerly and professionally install my seat. This was on 9/14/2021 (when purchased). Nowhere on the Specialized site does it advise the caveats of mounting a caron rail seat, needs, requirements, etc., with a Power Mirror seat.
I'm guessing the LBS manager who eagerly installed it was not aware also?
Regardless, I was asked to drop it off at the LBS for a warranty claim. I also advised that I don't need the carbon version (this time because I'm made aware....here.....
At $450, one might think that when it is installed (or ordered for that matter) the information would be conveyed so that something like this would not happen.

Just saying ?? Just saying you hit the nail on the head . There's give in one material and none in the other . Just saying :) I like your sense of humor

Nowhere on the Specialized site does it advise the caveats of mounting a caron rail seat, needs, requirements, etc., with a Power Mirror seat.
I was tempted to buy one of the Specialized saddles with the Mirror technology and I actually found the right information before I decided to purchase the seat exactly in the Power Mirror description:
1662729982595.png

You seem to have not read that Guru.

Not knowing is my excuse. I "blindly" ordered the new 'Mirror' seat when originally introduced. My LBS received it and installed it. At no time was I advised by the LBS manager (who put it on the bike for me) that I would need different seat clamps, etc., or even that the seat was available in two versions (other than size) All he did was eagerly and professionally install my seat. This was on 9/14/2021 (when purchased). Nowhere on the Specialized site does it advise the caveats of mounting a caron rail seat, needs, requirements, etc., with a Power Mirror seat.
Regardless, I was asked to drop it off at the LBS for a warranty claim. I also advised that I don't need the carbon version (this time because I'm made aware....here.....
At $450, one might think that when it is installed (or ordered for that matter) the information would be conveyed so that something like this would not happen.

I would blame you or the LBS, but only if the LBS is a Specialized Dealer. I would assume a Specialized Dealer would know the restrictions about the seat. Then again...maybe not even the LBS then, because I'm assuming the LBS didn't install the Kinekt seatpost, so they might not know it's compatibility.

The Power Pro Mirror (titanium) wasn't available in 2021. It's pretty new.

I would blame you or the LBS, but only if the LBS is a Specialized Dealer. I would assume a Specialized Dealer would know the restrictions about the seat. Then again...maybe not even the LBS then, because I'm assuming the LBS didn't install the Kinekt seatpost, so they might not know it's compatibility.

The Power Pro Mirror (titanium) wasn't available in 2021. It's pretty new.
Correct. Titanium was not available at that time. And yes it was a Specialized dealer.

it really says it pretty clearly in the instructions, and in other places at stefan noted. your LBS did not "professionally" install the seat, they should not have put a 9x7 rail into a 7x7 clamp.

the good news for standard seat post users is that the clamps are now readily available - back when i got my first mirror seat it was really hard to find the 9x7 clamp. literally every shop i called knew exactly what i needed "oh you mean the one for the carbon rails?"

Well, I returned the seat today. They submitted it for warranty. IF accepted, I'll get the credit and replace it with the Titanium model. At the time of original purchase, Titanium was not an option, only carbon. Hence the forward movement of the situation.

it really says it pretty clearly in the instructions, and in other places at stefan noted. your LBS did not "professionally" install the seat, they should not have put a 9x7 rail into a 7x7 clamp.

the good news for standard seat post users is that the clamps are now readily available - back when i got my first mirror seat it was really hard to find the 9x7 clamp. literally every shop i called knew exactly what i needed "oh you mean the one for the carbon rails?"
Unfortunately, relying on the LBS "kids" knowledge is not an option for me. Only a very select few are in the "know" and have the ability to interface with the consumer in an educated manner.
Just sayin' :)

Unfortunately, relying on the LBS "kids" knowledge is not an option for me. Only a very select few are in the "know" and have the ability to interface with the consumer in an educated manner.
Just sayin' :)

fair enough! service certainly varies from place to place. but i'm curious why you'd have the shop install a saddle. i'd guess the problem would have been avoided if you did it yourself!

Back