Kinect drilling a hole Retrofitting a Suspension Seat Post on a Vado SL 5.0 (lighting)

GuruUno

OK, I saw Stephan had a very similar beginning with his SL 4.0 and installed the RedShift seat post and stem shock to lessen the pains.
Being in a similar situation but having a preference for the Kinekt line of products I'm planning the installation of their seat post shock and stem shock products.
However, I remember that I had previously purchased a Redshift seat post shock for my former Allant 9S and then replaced it with the Kinekt, I knew it was somewhere....yep, I had put it on my wife's Electra Townie Commute 8D. Same post diameter as the Vado SL (27.2), so I figure I could try it out before making a permanent decision as to which one to ultimately get. However, the 5.0 SL has that light in the back of the seat and the wire goes down the seat post tube into the motor area (connected with pins to remove if necessary in the wire a few inches from the bottom of the seat tube).
So I figured heck, we are going for a long ride tomorrow, let me use her post for a day to get the comparison started. Unfortunately, I was not ready to begin a major engineering feat drilling a hole (deciding where on the post), and of most concern, how to route the wire through the center of the Redshift post so it does not get chewed up by the spring (the center of the post looks like it would allow passage, but the wire should most likely be in some sort of protective shroud). Killed that idea so I'll order the Kinekt, as all that has to be done is the hole to be drilled near the top to allow the passage of the wire to the light on the seat.
The next problem, engineering a different mounting (light) for an optional seat if the OEM seat is not used.
So, I'm going to take a breath and think things out but yes, the SL is a nice bike, truly a "fitness" bike as Stephan calls it. After a few weeks of riding the new Vado SL I'm really gonna enjoy the "old" Turbo Vado 5.0, I'll equate it to riding in a limousine I'd bet.

The bottom line is the SL needs some customization to meet the needs of us older folks and I have no problem with that. Just poking around to see if anyone has maybe tackled the retrofit seat post and lighting issue previously.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpeg
    IMG_1174.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
So I found this:
My Kinekt XL Seatpost will be here Wednesday, the next project (to keep the light).
Then, ultimately to retrofit light to any saddle. That's gonna be a bit of a challenge :(

So I found this:
My Kinekt XL Seatpost will be here Wednesday, the next project (to keep the light).
Then, ultimately to retrofit light to any saddle. That's gonna be a bit of a challenge :(
Do you have pictures of the light ?

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 282
OK, Kinekt informed me of the updated instructions to drill a hole for the wire for the light. See below:
1628634931967.png

Our standard procedure has been updated for the 2.1 generation of seatpost. The procedure is now to simply drill a 1/4" hole about 1/2" inch below the top of the seat post tube. This location was chosen because it is double-walled due to the bond joint of the tube and front link. We drill at a 25-degree angle, as shown in the attached schematic, although this may be hard to achieve without a spotting bit and drill press. If using a hand drill, drilling directly in will be ok. Let me know if any clarification is needed.

Attachments

• Kinekt 2.1 Seatpost Location for Drilled Hole.png
    Kinekt 2.1 Seatpost Location for Drilled Hole.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
Maybe you could add Kinect drilling or something to the title so we can find it again the next time someone asks. It's scary how often people drill or want to drill a hole in the seat post in the thin wall column portion of the seat post rather than the correct location you've posted here.

Here you go
You could start with something universal such as this and then build onto it perhaps with aluminum plate or plastic & epoxy.

That’s a lot of hassle though. Personally I would Dremel off the mounting tabs and just attach it to whatever seat with a blob of good RTV silicone. If you change seats, get a razor out and cut off the RTV.

Last edited:
OK, I saw Stephan had a very similar beginning with his SL 4.0 and installed the RedShift seat post and stem shock to lessen the pains.
Being in a similar situation but having a preference for the Kinekt line of products I'm planning the installation of their seat post shock and stem shock products.
However, I remember that I had previously purchased a Redshift seat post shock for my former Allant 9S and then replaced it with the Kinekt, I knew it was somewhere....yep, I had put it on my wife's Electra Townie Commute 8D. Same post diameter as the Vado SL (27.2), so I figure I could try it out before making a permanent decision as to which one to ultimately get. However, the 5.0 SL has that light in the back of the seat and the wire goes down the seat post tube into the motor area (connected with pins to remove if necessary in the wire a few inches from the bottom of the seat tube).
So I figured heck, we are going for a long ride tomorrow, let me use her post for a day to get the comparison started. Unfortunately, I was not ready to begin a major engineering feat drilling a hole (deciding where on the post), and of most concern, how to route the wire through the center of the Redshift post so it does not get chewed up by the spring (the center of the post looks like it would allow passage, but the wire should most likely be in some sort of protective shroud). Killed that idea so I'll order the Kinekt, as all that has to be done is the hole to be drilled near the top to allow the passage of the wire to the light on the seat.
The next problem, engineering a different mounting (light) for an optional seat if the OEM seat is not used.
So, I'm going to take a breath and think things out but yes, the SL is a nice bike, truly a "fitness" bike as Stephan calls it. After a few weeks of riding the new Vado SL I'm really gonna enjoy the "old" Turbo Vado 5.0, I'll equate it to riding in a limousine I'd bet.

The bottom line is the SL needs some customization to meet the needs of us older folks and I have no problem with that. Just poking around to see if anyone has maybe tackled the retrofit seat post and lighting issue previously.
Contact Kinekt directly 360.392.8302 and get your seat post from them. Upon request, they will pre-drill the hole for your light cable and honor a full warranty after doing so.

So, I drilled and followed the directions, purchased a Selle SMP TRK Medium Saddle, used my Dremel tool to remove the SMP logo on the back, mounted the light, 1,000% perfecto!!
Also, changed out the handlebars on the SL to UPANBIKE Urban Road Bike Bicycle Retro Handlebar 31.8mm Moustache Shape Wide 640mm.
I'm lovin' it! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 493
So, I drilled and followed the directions, purchased a Selle SMP TRK Medium Saddle, used my Dremel tool to remove the SMP logo on the back, mounted the light, 1,000% perfecto!!
Also, changed out the handlebars on the SL to UPANBIKE Urban Road Bike Bicycle Retro Handlebar 31.8mm Moustache Shape Wide 640mm.
Nice job on the modifications. Enjoy.

Nicely done.

I hope you don't mind my OCD suggestion. To put a cherry on that installation, two small black zip ties to secure the cable to the front and back of the saddle rails with two layers of black electric tape wrapping the rail contact points for the cable ties. Snip off the excess tie strap, roll the connector up face the underside of the saddle. Done!

How did you accomplish mounting the light to the seat ?

This is awesome. I want to do something like this with a Cane Creek eeSilk. I just emailed them about having a factory drill job done.
Report back what you hear. I would not a positive response because of the larger scale of Cane Creek product catalog vs Cirrus Cycles specialty catalog. I'm even surprised Cirrus (Kinect) still offers this service as they have grown.

Search here for Thudbuster since that is their e-bike suspension post and the eeSilk+is their gravel bike version. This is an older post with someone drilling the post for a Turbo S light in 2015. It's a little hard to see but they drilled the center of the top fitting similar to the Kinect. Never drill through the side of the post unless it's at a spot reinforced by a fitting. Drilling is at your own risk of course.

Last edited:
Report back what you hear. I would not a positive response because of the larger scale of Cane Creek product catalog vs Cirrus Cycles specialty catalog. I'm even surprised Cirrus (Kinect) still offers this service as they have grown.

Search here for Thudbuster since that is their e-bike suspension post and the eeSilk+is their gravel bike version. This is an older post with someone drilling the post for a Turbo S light in 2015. It's a little hard to see but they drilled the center of the top fitting similar to the Kinect. Never drill through the side of the post unless it's at a spot reinforced by a fitting. Drilling is at your own risk of course.

Will do. And if Cane Creek doesn't come through I'll check with Cirrus Cycles and report back on their status as well.

From Cane Creek:

Unfortunately we cannot modify our products and I don't recommend you modifying them either. The ISO requirements for the post are rigid and modifying the product will not only void the warranty, it may be dangerous too.
Looks like it simply isn't safe to mod Cane Creek posts. Too bad.

Still waiting to hear back from Cirrus.

So Cirrus got back to me, and they're still offering the service. $25 to drill the seatpost at the factory. I ordered a Kinekt 2.1 and had them drill it.

The post is on its way, should be here on Monday. Then I'll follow this guide and get it installed.

So how did you disconnect the original light from the wiring in order to replace the seatpost? Do you have a picture of where that connection is? or did you cut the wires and resplice?

There is a disconnect push/pull pin setup in the wire(s) when you remove the seat post. No splicing necessary. The light is attached by 2 screws to the seat.

Back