Turbo Vado SL 4.0 vs 5.0 SL EQ(Possibly pre-owned)

WillHall46

Region
USA
Hi everyone! I posted in another forum on EBR about my interest in getting a eBike to commute to work and to ride for fun on the weekends. I've narrowed down what I'm looking for and had the chance to test ride a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 today. I want something lighter and that I can ride without assist, so I enjoyed the feel of the Turbo Vado SL. Right now the SL models are marked down and the (non EQ) SL 4.0 model is on sale for $2,999 at a local bike shop in CT.

The reason I'm posting here is that I was able to find a used Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ for around the same price. It has just over 1,000 miles on it. It looks to be in good shape, is maintained regularly, and is one I would be able to test ride/pick up myself (meaning not ordered online and then shipped to me to assemble). I've compared the 4.0 and 5.0 models and see a few differences (like the 'future shock' and upgraded bike-mounted monitor), but I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with both and could help me figure out whether an upgrade to the 5.0 makes sense. I plan to ride mainly on the road and maybe occasionally on a trail that's pretty flat. I like the idea of the monitor upgrade, but know I can use the app on my phone too. I realize that if I go with a used model I would be losing the warranty and any added support from the local dealer I would get if I made the purchase there. I'm just not sure if the savings outweighs the benefits of buying new. (I should note that I've also seen several certified preowned 4.0 SL models selling online for almost $1k less than new models.) Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just no lifetime frame warranty.
It turns out to be important to have the frame warranty, as the story of my big Vado has proven. Specialized has honoured the lifetime warranty on the frame to the letter for that e-bike.

It turns out to be important to have the frame warranty, as the story of my big Vado has proven. Specialized has honoured the lifetime warranty on the frame to the letter for that e-bike.

Yes, though that is an isolated instance - it is something OP should consider.

Nevertheless, the OP had the impression of used bike having no warranty, which is incorrect.

Better the OP work from a position of knowledge, yes?

i agree with others here if you think about it brand new with warranty just incase but SL 5.0 that is good deal you can run a motor and battery check on the mission control and check for soft wear # ride the bike to see if there are any issues with it

Side by side the SL 5.0 would be my choice due to better specs and features. But as they say "buyer beware" on a used ebike. Do your homework if you choose the used bike.

Back