Kindernay VII IGH and HYSEQ Onesie shifter

question: is this a standard noise the hub should be making while turning? it is without oil right now and quite noisy/loud, i just received it.
question2: any advice on how to put the oil in safely? this is my first gear hub that uses oil instead of grease. is a plastic syringe enough? just squirt 20ml in there right from the tip slowly or do I need to feed in some plastic hose etc..

also, I already installed the rotor in my excited foolishness and didnt realize i will need to lace that hub up, now I have to put the rotor down, I expected to do this for the first time once the rotor will be worn out and will need a change, now I need to figure out how to extract the end cap so I can remove the torque arm and rotor. I am using 135x10 caps. any advice to use some specific tool that will fit in there to do this or is it as simple as the tutorial makes it to be? just "tap the end of the torque arm and remove the cap"? based on the fact that I needed to smack it with a mallet to put it down there, I do not believe it will be an easy job to push out, but I also used grease per instructions.
//I cannot get to the swap cage bolts over the rotor, two bolts are being blocked by the rotor.

edit: ok, so I managed to extract the end cap with no problems using some redneck engineering, so I guess my only unanswered quetion is the sound that the hub makes.

Last edited:
is this a standard noise the hub should be making while turning?
Yes, this is normal sound. It will became a bit quieter with a time, but still will be noisy comparing to other hubs I used.
it is without oil right now and quite noisy/loud, i just received it.
Hubs comes pre-filled with oil and the bottle you received is for first oil change after first 500km (bottle should have the sticker explaining this).
question2: any advice on how to put the oil in safely? this is my first gear hub that uses oil instead of grease. is a plastic syringe enough? just squirt 20ml in there right from the tip slowly or do I need to feed in some plastic hose etc..
Kindernay have videos about most operations - check out their YouTube channel, i.e. this one for oil change.
I already installed the rotor in my excited foolishness and didnt realize i will need to lace that hub up, now I have to put the rotor down, I expected to do this for the first time once the rotor will be worn out and will need a change
Just remove it now. Do wheel lacing only with cage and after you lace it, install hub and do truing. Install rotor only when wheel is ready to be installed on the bike.
now I need to figure out how to extract the end cap so I can remove the torque arm and rotor.
I think I asked same question when I got my hub - check out the thread.

My hub did not come pre filled, I had to fill it !
and a simple syringe does the job, just push very slowly so it does not bubble up.
On final assembly remember to use some blue loctite!

Here is a link on the wheel building I found usefull

Strange, their manual clearly states it comes pre-filled. How do even know if it filled? 20ml is very small amount to clearly see if it is there or not. How do you knew it was not filled?

1674320577559.png

Note, that hub is not supposed to be fully filled with oil. Originally (back in 2020) the instructions was to fill hub with 100ml, so there is oil bath inside of it, but this never worked, since seals inside the hub can't keep oil inside the it start leaking badly. So they revised the instructions and not only 20ml of oil is needed (along with additional 20 ml for flushing).

Last edited:
It that is what it says in the box for him (like for you), then no problem.
Just sharing, so that if his is not said to be pre filled he may want to confirm with Kindernay

It that is what it says in the box for him (like for you), then no problem.
Box says nothing and this is institutions they ask to follow. I got the replacement hub recently and it has only hub and oil, however oil has a sticker that this is first oil change item (40ml). Nowhere in instructions or emails from Kindernay I see the required to fill the newly received hub. Shouldn't I assume it is pre-filled then if instructions says so as well?

P.S. Messaged the Kindernay to confirm - will share the response once I get it.

and a simple syringe does the job, just push very slowly so it does not bubble up.
On final assembly remember to use some blue loctite!

Here is a link on the wheel building I found usefull
i do tend to use blue locktide on disc rotor or cranks, should i also apply some on the lock ring that goes over the sprocket?

should i also apply some on the lock ring that goes over the sprocket?
I personally don't, as long as you use recommended 30nm torque to tighten it, it will stay there without any additional measures.

per recommendations, do you also use locktide or linseed oil on the spokes? does anyone? something like this cant be done in any shop near me, I guess I will have to order a stand and do the truing process myself.

For spokes threads use Spokes Prep. I do not know if Loctite will work same as Spokes Prep. Use some chain oil for the spokes nipples friction with rim zone for consistent torque. You don't need stand to build the wheel, just use your bicycle swingarm, a ruler and a piece of zip tie. See the link posted above with the details.

By the way, where did you purchase your Kindernay VII? Directly from Kindernay or from a retailer?

per recommendations, do you also use locktide or linseed oil on the spokes? does anyone? something like this cant be done in any shop near me, I guess I will have to order a stand and do the truing process myself.
+1 for Spokes Prep as already suggested (I am using this one for my wheel builds)
For spokes threads use Spokes Prep. I do not know if Loctite will work same as Spokes Prep. Use some chain oil for the spokes nipples friction with rim zone for consistent torque. You don't need stand to build the wheel, just use your bicycle swingarm, a ruler and a piece of zip tie. See the link posted above with the details.

By the way, where did you purchase your Kindernay VII? Directly from Kindernay or from a retailer?
Hm, there are retailers who sell Kindernay to consumers? Interesting... So far I only saw few bike vendors offers it if you order custom bike build.

P.S. Just noticed that both Kindernay VII and XIV are out of stock on https://kindernay.com...

Cycle monkey does not respond and they do not have Kindernay purchase page on their website. I found only one reseller who has purchase page in UK but they sell Kindenay VII for 1.5 times higher price which is even more expensive than Kindernay XIV.

I bought my Kindernay VII directly form the manufacturer on black friday, I think it was 20 or 30% off not sure. which essentially covered my import duties and taxes, what I saved on the purchase, as Norway it outside EU.

Last edited:
Just got a confirmation from Kindernay that VII hubs come are delivered pre-filled with oil:
1674476730816.png

I dare say that this will be the smallest wheel that will be fitted with this hub. I hope everything will work as it should. First time I laced up a wheel myself, I chose 36H because I thought by simple logic that while riding like this there will be less strain on the spokes touching the ground, as there will simple be more of them and the forces will be more spread out. I didnt think I would be able to lace this 18 inch wheel, but it all worked out at the end. Next step is to properly tension the spokes and true the wheel without a stand, that will take me a while I guess. I bent like 3/4 of the spokes while lacing this up, as it was impossible to put them in place otherwise. I hope proper tensioning will fix this at the end. I also scuffed a lot of placed on the rim when putting the spokes through, oh well...

IMG_20230124_192711_233.jpgIMG_20230124_192736_422.jpgIMG_20230124_174748_316.jpg

Before this attempt at an upgrade, I used a sturmey archer hub with 24H.
IMG_20230124_193904_381.jpg

Anyone else using Kindernay with Gates Carbon CDX Belt? Curious if there is another compatible rear sprocket except this one. I am mostly interested in 24/26 tooth version to reduce the gears ratio little bit and make 6th and 7th gears on my Kindernay a bit more usable. Limited sprocket mount area thickness support by Kindernay makes all these options incompatible, even if interface itself is same. Looks like I will need to go smaller front sprocket route...

Last edited:
We have 20 Kindernay VII units in stock. Happy to help if anyone needs one!
Hello Ravi,

I am looking for one Kindernay VII ( https://kindernay.com/products/complete-gear-hub/kindernay-vii/) with 6 bolts brake rotor interface, rear hub spacing is 148 mm (with MATCH CAP and TORQUE ARM for 148 mm), SWAP shell is 32 spokes, Shifter is HYSEQ Onesie (with 148mm shifter actuator housing version), COG is 16T (if you do not have 16T COG any smallest COG you have will work for me).

If you have a CHAIN TENSIONER DOUBLE PULLEY ( https://kindernay.com/product/chain-tensioner-dual-pulley/ ) I am willing to have one too with the Kindernay VII kit. If you do not have it it is OK, I can purchase it from Kindernay.

I live in the USA, zip code 98021.

I was not able to find the Kindernay VII purchase page on your website (https://zenebikes.com).

I emailed you on [email protected]

Thanks.

Last edited:
does anyone have a 3D model of kindernay torque arm? the one with the star shaped pattern, I need to adjust the length of the arm slightly.

Back