Kindernay VII IGH and HYSEQ Onesie shifter

Wow, looks great.

Yeah, mechanical clicking type torque wrench. I'll check and update this post with numbers.

Edit: A little more direction. One side of axle has allen wrench hole to put torque wrench in, other side has a "knob"/"handle" . If I just check torque, handle has it locked up right now correct? Loosen handle first?

(Off to dinner plans for a bit.)
Do you mean a quick release handle?
If so, don't worry about it, I am not sure we can get a meaningful reading on such config...
I was afraid being too tight was going to prevent shifting as I had read on someone else's report, but it looks fine so far.

Yes QR handle. Okay.

BarnBoy had a shifting issue when he reinstalled back wheel too tight. Shared that in his Hydra thread.

Ouch, this is something very special you built out there! Definitely share the link for the complete write-up once you have it!

I am kind of half-way ready - need to remove old shifter routing from Enviolo and route/cut cables for Kindernay - so far I put it externally to be able to make a ride and confirm everything is fine. Also, I would probable not use quick-release axle, but it is good for now. Regarding the torque arm - it luckily fits with no extra works needed: I just replaced one of the screws with longer one and it is fine.
Amazing!!! This is awesome.

Here is the complete write up of the Kindernay Conversion of the BoxxBike
Enjoy :)

Bad news is I am going to have to bleed the Hyseq, as after my disconnect reconnect during cable routing, I have way more travel than the 2-5mm norm.
I can shift one or two gears at a time, but not three.
Oh well, Better learn how to do it anyway :)

Last edited:
Here is the complete write up of the Kindernay Conversion of the BoxxBike
Enjoy :)

Bad news is I am going to have to bleed the Hyseq, as after my disconnect reconnect during cable routing, I have way more travel than the 2-5mm norm.
I can shift one or two gears at a time, but not three.
Oh well, Better learn how to do it anyway :)
I will say that having and loving my K14 I will be surprised if you find you shift 3 gears at a time very often. I originally planned to let my Hydra built go through as speced to not throw any fly in the ointment and hold up delivery. Then I was going to order a K7 and switch it out myself or have a LBS do same as the K7's fewer gears seems well suited to a higher powered ebike.

But as I used the K14 I found it's gear spread to not be too close and frequently I enjoy the more refined incriments of choice. The one time I can imagine wanting to shift 3 gears at a time if I had the K7 is when I abruptly come to a stop without having shifted down.

I sure like the idea of the motor power not going through the IGH on your bike. That would give me added peace of mind on an area I'm always trying to be careful of.

One of the great thing of a dual drive train with this kind of power, is that you never actually need to change gear because of slope. You only need the gears on the high end to match pedaling with the high speeds :)

I can start up a 30 % hill in any gear and get going at the pressure of the pedal :)

The low gears are only really needed to be able to pedal the bike in case the battery runs out.

Last edited:
Curious what kind of maintenance is required on the 2 chains? Is it significantly lower maintenance?

I don't have enough miles to know that for sure.
But the 219H on the motor side should last quite a bit, and the pedaling one will see minimal stress.

Did proper cable job today and finalize the setup - Enviolo is officially gone today and Kindernay is on duty!
Two things I had to do after first ride this week (~11 miles): tighten the spokes and replace the screws which mount hub to the cage - not sure what went wrong on first tide, but I lost 4 of 7... Put blue locker this time and tighten them properly - should stay there now I hope.

Attachments

• PXL_20220413_223222999.jpg
    PXL_20220413_223222999.jpg
    933.6 KB · Views: 227
  • PXL_20220413_223232539.jpg
    PXL_20220413_223232539.jpg
    924.3 KB · Views: 235
  • PXL_20220413_223239232.jpg
    PXL_20220413_223239232.jpg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 229
  • PXL_20220413_223328287.jpg
    PXL_20220413_223328287.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 242
Nice!!!

My K14 oil was pretty gunked up and glittering all over at 150 miles. I'm going to change it again at 300 or so.

The drain plug has very brittle metal and the shoulders are easy to chip using a standard screwdriver blade and it turning sideways in the slot before contacting the shoulders. I took an older screwdriver and ground the tip back till it got wide enough to be a correct fit.

Anyone plans to order anything from Kindernay coming weeks? I want to get lot of 5 gear oil bottles, but their shipping rate is really prohibitive (around $100!). If anyone is interested, let's combine all purchases into single shipping and share the shipping cost.
I will order everything to my address and ship to anyone else in US once receive it.

, but I lost 4 of 7... Put blue locker this time and tighten them properly - should stay there now I hope.
Holy crap :)

Yep, blue loctite is an absolute must and a requirement of the install.
Torque at 3Nm, but do 3 or four passes at that value to fully absorb the screws' tension

Anyone plans to order anything from Kindernay coming weeks? I want to get lot of 5 gear oil bottles, but their shipping rate is really prohibitive (around $100!). If anyone is interested, let's combine all purchases into single shipping and share the shipping cost.
I will order everything to my address and ship to anyone else in US once receive it.
Be careful that the oil kit is a 250ml bottle which is 10 x the 25ml required for an oil change.
Well actually you are supposed to rinse during an oil change so In guess it is the equivalent of 5 oil change.

EDIT: Checking the kindernay site, they only show the small bottles now. So may be the fact I got a 250ml bottle was an old item or they changed packaging...

Last edited:
Be careful that the oil kit is a 250ml bottle which is 10 x the 25ml required for an oil change.
Well actually you are supposed to rinse during an oil change so In guess it is the equivalent of 5 oil change.

EDIT: Checking the kindernay site, they only show the small bottles now. So may be the fact I got a 250ml bottle was an old item or they changed packaging...
Yes, 5 small bottles is what they sell now. Do you need anything from them ordered by chance?

Concider getting a back up drain plug. Affordable at the time shipping is already headed this way.

I would be interested in a couple of 7 bolt 220+ mm rotors from them Ava1ar.

Concider getting a back up drain plug. Affordable at the time shipping is already headed this way.

I would be interested in a couple of 7 bolt 220+ mm rotors from them Ava1ar.
Great! Can you send me direct link(s) to the item(s) you need and exact quantity? I will be ordering stuff very soon (probably on the weekend).

Yes, 5 small bottles is what they sell now. Do you need anything from them ordered by chance?
Thanks but not at this point.
For your screws, I guess you have to order from them because I get the feeling they are special shoulder screws.
That was one of the hurdle for me who is using 50mm long ones that don't exist with shoulder for the larger disk holes :)

Yes, I see there is more I should get but hard to do on my phone. I'll get it all together tomorrow on my computer and to you.

Happy to do shipping split plus shipping to me - whatever you need to be fair to you. Thanks ava1ar.

Ok, some update here. I rode couple of hundreds miles with Kindernay past few weeks and so far my experience is very positive. It is definitely louder than Enviolo, however I like the trigger shifter with fast precise shifting much more than "infinite" shifter of Enviolo. Not even talking about how much easier is to install/remove the rear wheel now!
One issue I noticed so far is a experience periodic skips on 5th gear. Not all the time, however quite frequently. No sure if this is temporary wear-in thing or some issue - will continue to keep my eye on it. Anyone with Kindernay setup had or heard about anything like this?

Back