Kindernay VII IGH and HYSEQ Onesie shifter

Thanks @Merle Nelson , will keep that in mind.
Yes I did get my hub, I finalized the custom carrier for motor sprocket and rotor as well as the custom torque arm.
Getting on wheel lacing and then finalizing everything....

@ava1ar , a couple of question if you have a minute
  1. How did you decide the spoke tension of 1300Nm?
    Was that what you measured on the old wheel, the max you could do, recommended by Kindernay...?
  2. What Torque did you use on the wheel axle?
    Someone mentioned that if too tight, the shifter does not work, what was your experience and value used?
Thank you for sharing
Hey. I didn't do much progress so far :( Year started with Covid, than new job and bad weather, so my wheel is not yet on the bike (however season is about to start here, so I am doing this soon for sure).
Answering those questions I can though - I did ~1300Nm (see attached image - data for each spoke is there). I didn't measure old wheel since it doesn't look good to me (some spokes are way too loose to be properly tightened). I plan to do installation on the next weekend - will have more updates till than.

Attachments

• spokes_tension.png
    spokes_tension.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 156
Lacing went well, although the last side of leading spokes required a bit of flex to weave them into position…

I was tempted to just take the wheel to a local bike shop for truing and tensioning, but the Local Bike Shop appointment for truing was 2 weeks away, so I decided to give it a go using the swing arm as truing stand, and it went much better than I would have imagined (see video links below)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!At3vMAQjaOZLlX5ZCfljSeAQ9gwB?e=Ktaoul
https://1drv.ms/v/s!At3vMAQjaOZLlX-6CkaqF3qEit8y?e=NnPNxf

So I ordered myself a tension meter, and will be adjusting the tension next using the Parktool WTA online app (if I can find my rim max spoke tension…) :)

Last edited:
On a Kindernay, how do you visually know what gear you are in?
You can't know. This is the price for the simple and reliable interface between hub and shifter, also it would be really tricky to do for the hydraulic connection.

Ok. What is your gear shifting routine when you start out?
I am not riding this thing yet, but I assume same as on any other system without visual gear indicator - you shift all the way down. Kindernay shifter allows switching over multiple gears, so this would take only a second to do.

Tensioning is done, Custom carrier and custom torque arm installed, Tensioner installed, finalizing cable routing for the Hyseq, getting close :)
I had to disconnect the lines from the Onesie, to route the cables, I capped them while routing, and when I reconnected them, it still seems to work without bleeding.
Here is to hope I won't need to bleed them :)

@BarnBoy and @Merle Nelson, if you have a torque wrench, could you possibly check the torque on your rear thru axle on your Hydra with Kindernay?

Thanks

Tensioning is done, Custom carrier and custom torque arm installed, Tensioner installed, finalizing cable routing for the Hyseq, getting close :)
I had to disconnect the lines from the Onesie, to route the cables, I capped them while routing, and when I reconnected them, it still seems to work without bleeding.
Here is to hope I won't need to bleed them :)

@BarnBoy and @Merle Nelson, if you have a torque wrench, could you possibly check the torque on your rear thru axle on your Hydra with Kindernay?

Thanks
Yes.

Tell me step by step how you would get proper torque reading.

It depends if it is a mechanical torque wrench (where you set a value with a ring, and the wrench disengages with a click when reaching it), or a digital one that actually displays the torque value.
In both case check which unit is being used (ideally Newton meter Nm)

• If a digital one, you can either try to unscrew the bolt and read the number when it starts moving, or try to screw it more and read the number when it starts moving. Go slow so you don't actually change the torque significantly.

• If mechanical (clicking type), it is more complicated. You would have to set the torque starting with a low value like 10 Nm try to tighten or untighten. If it disengages with a click before it moves, raise the torque a bit like by 3Nm and try again, keep increasing in small increment until the bolt moves, then you know the torque is between the last two values.

Thanks !!

Wow, looks great.

Yeah, mechanical clicking type torque wrench. I'll check and update this post with numbers.

Edit: A little more direction. One side of axle has allen wrench hole to put torque wrench in, other side has a "knob"/"handle" . If I just check torque, handle has it locked up right now correct? Loosen handle first?

(Off to dinner plans for a bit.)

Last edited:
Ouch, this is something very special you built out there! Definitely share the link for the complete write-up once you have it!

I am kind of half-way ready - need to remove old shifter routing from Enviolo and route/cut cables for Kindernay - so far I put it externally to be able to make a ride and confirm everything is fine. Also, I would probable not use quick-release axle, but it is good for now. Regarding the torque arm - it luckily fits with no extra works needed: I just replaced one of the screws with longer one and it is fine.

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_181810208.jpg
    PXL_20220402_181810208.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 208
  • PXL_20220402_203230325.jpg
    PXL_20220402_203230325.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
  • PXL_20220402_203220591.jpg
    PXL_20220402_203220591.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 207
  • PXL_20220402_203212493.jpg
    PXL_20220402_203212493.jpg