Just got a Shred

Thanks for the valuable information. After six months, with their website now down and no communication, it seems they have yet to regroup. Thanks again.
I wish Court would have commented on this significant development at Surface 604.

What are you even talking about? I've checked out the site multiple times and it's definitely working. They are out of stock of the m/l's but the s/m's are in stock in both battery sizes. Nothing unusual about that. They have a large banner announcing pre-orders for m/l in may.

Stop spreading false rumors about this company!

What are you even talking about? I've checked out the site multiple times and it's definitely working. They are out of stock of the m/l's but the s/m's are in stock in both battery sizes. Nothing unusual about that. They have a large banner announcing pre-orders for m/l in may.

Stop spreading false rumours about this company!

Thanks for the response. I guess I was mistaken about the website. I tried entering WWW.Surface604.com and nothing came up. This is the link they have on their facebook page. I've messaged them for a week and have not got a response. That's a fact!

I was told Sam Atakhanov has left the company. Is this not true?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I guess I was mistaken about the website. I tried entering WWW.Surface604.com and nothing came up. This is the link they have on their facebook page. I've messaged them for a week and have not got a response. That's a fact!

I was told Sam Atakhanov has left the company. Is this not true?

Thanks again

The website should be http://www.surface604bikes.com. It now appears that http://www.surface604.com redirects to that site.

The website is broken with respect to the larger 14AH batteries. If you try to put a 10AH battery Shred into the cart, everything works fine. If you try to put a 14AH Shred into the cart .... nothing happens. If you keep clicking the "add items to cart" button the server will eventually ban you for a couple minutes for "excessive traffic".

I've heard in other places that the larger 14AH battery is on hold with no plans of being reintroduced. It would be nice if the website were updated to reflect that.

I've just placed an order for two Shreds (one S/M, one M/L) with 10AH batteries. I guess I'll see what happens. Given the lack of response from the company, I'm only somewhat hopeful I'll get a bike in a month or two.

I've just placed an order for two Shreds (one S/M, one M/L) with 10AH batteries. I guess I'll see what happens. Given the lack of response from the company, I'm only somewhat hopeful I'll get a bike in a month or two.

The first bike (S/M) has arrived! It works well so far.

Looking forward to the next one, and the two rear-racks on backorder.

I just ordered the Shred (S/M) with the 14AH battery last week. I haven't received shipping information yet but am hoping to have it soon. For the record, I was unable to order the S/M version with the extended battery via the Surface604 website due to a glitch, but I called directly and spoke to Gordon to place the order. He said they just received a new shipment of those batteries so if you've been holding off on ordering one, now is the time. This thread has been quiet for a while now so I assume everyone's bikes are running smoothly? I'm looking forward to posting some pics and officially joining the Shred community!

Stop spreading false rumors about this company!
False Rumors? How?

Hope you all dont mind reviving this old but very informative thread. I am looking into buying a bike (or two) and the Shred seems to be checking all the boxes. Are there any updates on Surface 604 as a company and their longevity? I understand they had gone thru some difficult times and staffing changes.
thanks for all the input you may have.

Hope you all dont mind reviving this old but very informative thread. I am looking into buying a bike (or two) and the Shred seems to be checking all the boxes. Are there any updates on Surface 604 as a company and their longevity? I understand they had gone thru some difficult times and staffing changes.

I don't know anything about any problems the company has been experiencing, but I will say their customer service is second-to-none. I feel guilty about all the times I've emailed Gordon asking for help.

After 2000 miles, I managed to "shred" the nylon gears inside the hub (we don't know why, as I'm told this is quite unusual). Gordon was able to supply replacement gear when Bafang completely ignored my requests. I'm back on the road now have earned my "take your hub apart, leave it in pieces on your workbench for 6 weeks and then try and put it all back together" merit badge.

I've got 2200 miles on the Shred and I love it.

Hey there, perhaps I could chip in. Our company is striving after what proved to be a very difficult 2018 winter. We are back at it for the long run.

That is fantastic to hear Gordon. Hope all goes well! Lots of competition out there but it seems that you do have good products and great customer service.

View attachment 22345

Hi all,

I wanted to post some initial thoughts on the new Surface 604 Shred. Mine came a few days ago, and I've been putting it through the paces. After some initial adjustments and tweaks it's turned out to be a very nice bike.

I'm a long time conventional biker, and first time e-biker, so I test drove a few e-bikes from the local shops to see what all the excitement was about. They were fun for sure, but I couldn't find one that really jumped out at me, so I began scouring EBR for that perfect set of features at a reasonable price point. The Shred bubbled to the top of my list so I took a chance and ordered one direct to me. I live in northern California and once they had them in stock, it only took about a week to get to me. It went together in about an hour. It would have gone faster, but it came with no assembly instructions. The closest thing was an online video that showed how to assemble one of their other bikes, which helped a bit. It does come with a manual, but it is pretty generic and only covers basic operation.

A quick spin around the block without the battery revealed a number of small adjustments needed to be done so after the initial setup, I charged the battery all the way up and gave it a full hour long road and trail test.

The first thing I noticed was that because the bike is heavy, I really needed to dial in some preload on the front shock. Lockout also works well when going fast. This gets rid of the nose down tendency on heavy braking. The brakes work very well. To get going fast, you have to go into the passworded settings and change the maximum speed. The default seems to be about 22 mph, I boosted mine up to 28. The default tire diameter was also set incorrectly to 26 inches, so I changed that to 28 while I was in there, presumably to more accurately display my speed. I have not tested the accuracy of the display.

One thing I love is the throttle. Unlike the pre-production bike that Court reviewed, the ones that are shipping now allow full power on the throttle even in assist level 1, up to 20 mph. What I really love the trottle for is when I need to take off quickly while turning. When turning, you can’t really pedal because the pedal on the inside of the turn might strike the ground, so the throttle is the perfect solution. Just love it. It works the same in assist modes 1 through 5, and it’s disabled in mode 0 (no assist). This is different than the pedal assist level which does top out at different speeds (mode 1 tops out at 14.5 mph, mode 2 is around 20mph, etc.) and each assist mode seems to provide a different max current draw, so mode 1 requires more work to go up a hill than mode 2 for example.

The motor is very quiet. I would say more quiet than any of the 4 or 5 other bikes I tested. Possibly the only thing quieter would be a direct drive hub motor which I did not test drive. The road noise from the tires on pavement is about the same loudness, and even that is pretty quiet. These tires are perfect for my use, which is a mix of pavement and trails. They don't have a ton of rolling resistance, and they have good traction when you are on a firm, but not necessarily even, surface.

The motor is quite powerful. There were some pretty steep hills on the trail I took, and it handled them all fine. I even took the steepest paved one and stopped on the steepest part and with throttle only was able to go up it from a standstill, albeit only around 6 or 7 mph. It obviously would go much faster if I helped by pedaling, or approached it with a little speed. I was quite impressed. I did a little off-roading with it also, and it’s a bit heavy so it does have more inertia when you are flying over gravel or small rocks, so it felt a little looser than my regular mountain bike, but not unstable or anything. It’s kinda cool actually; it feels just a touch like controlled drifting in a rally car. This might also come from the plus sized tires.

I noticed the charger got very warm when I charged it from completely empty (how it shipped) to full. It does run a little cooler when only doing a partial charge like from 40% back up to 80%. I was also disappointed that it was transported on empty (the battery indicator on the display was empty and blinking when I connected it the very first time). This is not good for the battery, although since there wasn’t much energy in it, maybe it was transported this way for safety reasons.

I kinda wish the trigger shifters had a readout for what gear you are in. This comes in handy when you ride with someone else, and you want to tell them to shift down to 5th gear for example. If they are on the Shred, they have no idea what gear they are in. I do like the sram multi shift feature, but don't use it all that much.

The best feature on this bike though, has to be the torque/cadence sensor. It beats all the other bikes I tested and they were all more expensive than the Shred. It reacts quickly and smoothly. You really do feel like Superman going up hills or taking off from a dead stop because the motor feels like an invisible extension of your legs. If you pedal gently you go slowly, but if you pedal hard, the thing really moves out (like you are 3 times stronger than you really are). There are no big clunks when it kicks it or turns off like you see on some of the other lower end bike video reviews. It's just super fun.

I'll check back in later after I get a few more miles on it to give you a more longer term impression.

Dave
Hi Dave what password did you use to change the speed?

Thanks

Back