Just got a Shred

Well...I guess it all depends on how Surface came to their published mileage. Lot of variables. Probably like most companies, it’s 35-45 miles under ideal conditions meaning assist level of 1 on flat ground with a tail wind. Sounds like you could get around 20 miles using varying assist levels with throttle and that may be about right.

Sorry, delayed response! Just wanted to update and say that after another issue with the bike (headlight cancelling the assist lol), Surface sent me a replacement controller. This perhaps by coincidence this also resolved my battery display issue. Now they're much more in sync, and my average runtime has been about 25 miles before flatlining over hilly terrain at assist 2. Yay!

Thanks. I’ll try the repositioning as suggested and report back.
Update on throttle issue: swapped the location of the throttle with the controller remote and the throttle now works as expected. It’s a little harder to reach, but the controller remote is now easier to reach. Not a problem. Thanks for the help!

I have a question for Shred owners. This is my first electric bike so learning the as I go. I notice with no power to the bike, when I roll it backwards there is some resistance. I would describe it as something catching I'm guessing in the motor? If I spin the rear wheel in a forward motion nothing noticeable, it free wheels, but the opposite direction feels like something catches. Is this normal or just my bike?

Also have noticed when on a slight down grade, with no pedal assist it almost feels like the bike wants to stop or at least not free wheel like a non electric bike.

I have checked and readjusted the brake caliper so I don't think its drag from that. Any ideas?

I have a question for Shred owners. This is my first electric bike so learning the as I go. I notice with no power to the bike, when I roll it backwards there is some resistance. I would describe it as something catching I'm guessing in the motor? If I spin the rear wheel in a forward motion nothing noticeable, it free wheels, but the opposite direction feels like something catches. Is this normal or just my bike?

Also have noticed when on a slight down grade, with no pedal assist it almost feels like the bike wants to stop or at least not free wheel like a non electric bike.

I have checked and readjusted the brake caliper so I don't think its drag from that. Any ideas?

Mine behaves the same way where there's a little resistance when rolling backwards, like perhaps the caliper is rubbing or, now that you mention it, it could be the hub. Forwards is smooth.

I haven't encountered the second issue you mention, or at least I haven't noticed it. Most of my commuting is on flat ground, but I've gone downhill pleny too (had it up to 38 MPH the other day).

Mine behaves the same way where there's a little resistance when rolling backwards, like perhaps the caliper is rubbing or, now that you mention it, it could be the hub. Forwards is smooth.

I haven't encountered the second issue you mention, or at least I haven't noticed it. Most of my commuting is on flat ground, but I've gone downhill pleny too (had it up to 38 MPH the other day).

Wow, 38MPH haven't been that fast but close! On steeper grades it does rip, just found on slight down grades if you don't keep peddling is feels like is will stop, not a big deal I was just wondering it I have something dragging. Like I said I played with the brakes and don't think that is the issue. I have to bring it back to the shop for a free tune up and I will ask them.

As a side note to anyone following this thread, I did buy the SR Suntour NCX suspension post. I plan to ride on logging roads and tested it the other day and it sure helps eliminate the bone jarring bumps. I would definitely recommend it!

Erev, when you spin the back wheel backwards, there are two one way mechanisms engaging. One is called a freehub and this is what allows your pedals/crank/chain/cassette to apply torque to the wheel when you pedal, but disengages when you coast. The other is a one way clutch in the motor that does the same thing. It allows the motor to apply torque to the wheel when requested, but allows the wheel to rotate independently when it is spinning and the motor is not. This is what you feel when you roll backwards.

As for the downhill question, there are two things you might be feeling. One is rolling resistance, which is higher on the shred because of it's plus sized tires. There is more resistance than a road bike with skinny tires, or probably even a mountain bike with 2 inch tires. However fat bikes, with their 4 inch tires would probably have the most rolling resistance.

The other thing you might be feeling is just the inertia of the bike. It does weigh more than a regular bike, and the wheels being heavier also take more effort to spin up. So that could be it too, but inertia wont really make the bike slow down, rather it just makes it harder to speed up.

Erev, when you spin the back wheel backwards, there are two one way mechanisms engaging. One is called a freehub and this is what allows your pedals/crank/chain/cassette to apply torque to the wheel when you pedal, but disengages when you coast. The other is a one way clutch in the motor that does the same thing. It allows the motor to apply torque to the wheel when requested, but allows the wheel to rotate independently when it is spinning and the motor is not. This is what you feel when you roll backwards.

As for the downhill question, there are two things you might be feeling. One is rolling resistance, which is higher on the shred because of it's plus sized tires. There is more resistance than a road bike with skinny tires, or probably even a mountain bike with 2 inch tires. However fat bikes, with their 4 inch tires would probably have the most rolling resistance.

The other thing you might be feeling is just the inertia of the bike. It does weigh more than a regular bike, and the wheels being heavier also take more effort to spin up. So that could be it too, but inertia wont really make the bike slow down, rather it just makes it harder to speed up.
Thanks for the reply Dave! I'm still in the learning phase of the bike, your explanation makes sense for the rolling back feel. I think you are also right about the rolling resistance with the plus tires. I will keep and eye on things and ask more questions!

Just wanted to update everyone on the Bafang controller showing lower battery levels than expected. This happened on both my new Rook and Shred. Both batteries were fully charged as indicated by the charger light turning green and the battery indicators on the battery itself being all lit. When the Bafang controller was turned on, the battery indicator on the controller showed the battery was only at 80-90% capacity. Every day the controller would show a drop in battery charge capacity whether ridden or not. I called Surface604 and they directed me to unplug the three wire connector which contains the green wire, which I did on both bikes. I also taped the connector as directed. Since then, the controller seems to be in sync with the actual level of the battery for both bikes. What I haven’t found out yet is if there was any loss of functionality by disconnecting the plug with the 3 wires. I haven’t seen any, but I haven’t heard back from Surface604 on the question. Just to be clear, the Shred and Rook use 2 different and unique batteries.

Surface604 has assured me that there should be no loss of functionality by unplugging the 3 wire connector to fix the inconsistency of the battery charge gauge.

Thanks for the reply Dave! I'm still in the learning phase of the bike, your explanation makes sense for the rolling back feel. I think you are also right about the rolling resistance with the plus tires. I will keep and eye on things and ask more questions!
Erev,

I am new to the Shred as well.

I also noticed the resistance moving backwards. Didn't have it going forward so have just ignored it. If I am going backwards I have bigger problems to deal with.

In regards to your comment regarding the rolling resistance your comments are exactly what I have noticed over the last three rides At times when I turn off the assist, the bike seems very sluggish/heavy to pedal, moreso than I expect. At other times when I am biking for long periods with the assist off, it seems much easier. This is all on level paved paths. One thing I want to try when I get a chance is power off and pedaling down a trail up to full cadence in a specific gear. Then redo same track, start with power and PA at level 1 and then go to no pedal assist.

Regardless of the above, I really like the bike

Surface604 has assured me that there should be no loss of functionality by unplugging the 3 wire connector to fix the inconsistency of the battery charge gauge.
I was told to just remove (cut) the green wire in the three wire plug. I pulled out the green wire only and left the other two wires connected and taped up the green wire. So Wolfeman, you are now saying Surface is recommending disconnecting the entire 3 wire plug. Am I correctly understanding?

I thought I would give an update to the group about my ebike experience this fall. A group of us went for a ride up a logging road, about a 8% average grade, 5km into the ride my Shred pedal assist stopped working ( I was in level 2 assist). As you know, its almost impossible to ride uphill without the assist or at least for me it is. I tried several things to diagnose the issue, turning off the bike, unplugging all the accessible plugs but nothing worked. With the power on and the back tire off the ground, using the throttle I would get a short response to the hub drive but would instantly stop (no power). For some reason I got it in my head it was most likely the brake inhibitor causing the power interruption. Even with the brake applied I could get a response to the hub motor. I sent an email to Surface 604 explaining my issue as well I called the place I bought the bike to discuss my problem. The vendor (not a LBS, but really helpful tech) wondered if there was a short at the controller, I started to investigate but decided half way through removing the controller I might not ever get it back in! Surface 604 emailed me back to ask if I could bring the bike to Kelwona (2hrs from where I live) as Sam was going to be there the next day and he would fix or trouble shoot the bike. I decided to take the day and do that, I wanted to meet Sam and get it fixed ASAP. When I met the Surface team in Kelowna at a LBS, there were several of them and a fellow from China who works for Bafang. As soon as they tested my bike they said they knew exactly what the issue was, the controller was shot. They removed the controller, gave it a quick shake, a rattle could be heard, it was the blown resistor. The reason the Surface team was in Kelowna was to replace the controllers on several bikes including unsold bikes in the LBS. They showed me the new controller and pointed out the weight was considerably more because it was filled with a heat dissipating gel. What happened to my controller was it overheated and blew the resistor, there is a hot spot on the controller and the plastic covers at the male/female connections is under sized. Sam did say they are noticing this issue more in British Columbia than in the USA, perhaps due to the terrain??? Also, they had a programming firmware upgrade for the battery so the whole cutting the green wire is unnecessary if the battery is reprogrammed. My partner also has a shred and I wanted her controller changed in that bike as well. It has taken sometime but Surface sent a new controller to the vendor I bought the bikes from and they just changed the controller and reprogrammed the battery for me. I have to say that I'm happy with both Surface and my local vendor for the help they have provided. I haven't seen anything from surface regarding this issue but I would hope that if others are having a similar issue they will replace the controller regardless of kilometer on the bike. I think any bike sold after Sept 2018 would have had this issues dealt with. I have enjoyed by bike and really don't have anything bad to say about it. It is a new bike for Surface and obviously the controller wasn't the best but I think it might have been more a Bafang issue than a Surface issue. I'm curious has anyone else had this issue??

Hi Revordar, in my opinion the issues I have had with the Shred are minor. The LBS has been helpful and Surface 604 was responsive when I talked with them. I have only tried one other electric bike, the Voltbike Yukon and have to say I prefer the feel of the Shred which as the torque sensor for assist. For the price I believe it is a good value. I only have 500km on it so far and am looking forward to getting it out once some of our snow leaves.
Are you considering a Shred?

Hi Revordar, in my opinion the issues I have had with the Shred are minor. The LBS has been helpful and Surface 604 was responsive when I talked with them. I have only tried one other electric bike, the Voltbike Yukon and have to say I prefer the feel of the Shred which as the torque sensor for assist. For the price I believe it is a good value. I only have 500km on it so far and am looking forward to getting it out once some of our snow leaves.
Are you considering a Shred?

Erev, Yes I've been considering a Shred. I see the company is rather withdrawn. No updates on their website or on social media. Now the website appears to be down. They do not have the larger shred in stock and no word of when it will be available. All this makes me pause.......................

I understand Sam Atakhanov has left the company. I think they are pretty small and he probably left a big hole. I have heard good things about their other bikes but its such a competitive market with so many companies coming and going, I hope they can regroup.

Thanks for the valuable information. After six months, with their website now down and no communication, it seems they have yet to regroup. Thanks again.
I wish Court would have commented on this significant development at Surface 604.

Back