Jones H bar, anyone ?

barry g

After a few hundred miles on my Trekking 7.0, I am truly enjoying it with the exception of the straight handlebar.
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the Jones H bar ?
If so, did you encounter any installation issues ? Cable length issues, etc. ?
Any advice or your recommendation(s) would be greatly appreciated.
thx
b

I installed the Jones H Bar Loop 2.5 SG on my Giant and I had no issues with cables. Not a good image but you can kinda see it. I really like mine. Much more pleasant ride. I mostly commute with my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,339
I do not have a Jones H bar, because it is so expensive. Also, I did not want the 45º sweep. Instead I went with the Origin8 Strongbow. I really like it because it solved a number of issues for me. I can get more aero on the bike, and I just feel more comfortable with my hands closer together (I ride in a position similar to riding on top of the hoods of a road bike). I still have the wider grip if necessary. It gave me a better place to mount my Fenix light. After I took this pic, I moved the button pad next to the light, which is where my hand is closer.

IMG_1228.JPG

Try the Postino from Velo Orange. Much cheaper ($30), and narrow yet ergonomic.

The main advantage of the Jones Bar is the front horizontal section, maybe. But using that section is not really safe for urban commuting, because you don't have immediate access to the brakes.
postino_on_ph__45729.1450050553.jpg

I’m currently touring the US with a Jones bar. Am charging so I went over to snap a pic for you. Comments:

1. I use one to crouch over extended flats but sometimes hit the thumb controller by accident — I knew that felt tooooo aerodynamic ...
2. I like the additional real estate for accessories as needed
3. Extra real estate for your hands (change positions) although too many accessories will limit this.
4. No cable issues in transfer from RM stock Ergotec.
5. You might need a new stem to compensate for the lack of rise depending on what you have now and how upright you want to be.
6. I sawed off the ends to get the 660mm — the 710mm was overkill for me.

BEB07697-E90E-45B7-BBE5-491997816114.jpeg

Last edited:
I can think of one problem the Jones bar caused me. I was planning on using an Ortlieb handlebar bag from another bike, but it requires wrapping a cable around the stem. The bag did not fit within the loop, so that wasn’t going to happen. There are some YouTubes with workarounds but I didn’t like any of them. I landed up getting an Arkel bag, and you can see the hardware the bag attaches to on each side of the bell.

Jones sells a bag that fits the loop perfectly and attaches by Velcro, but I wanted more capacity and waterproof for this tour.

Here is a better pic of mine.

I used the 710 length for the extra room. mine has the 2.5 inch rise and with the angle this really helps my shoulders relax. The Ergon GC1 grips were a a natural fit. I can go aero pretty good holding on to the bottle or bottle cage and I can keep my hand at the ready for the brake. Having my bottle up top is convenient and also keeps the water I spill away from the battery. This upgrade by far has been the best investment for comfort on my commuter.
IMG_0453.jpg

I like my Jones H-bars just fine. It also provides a lot of open bar area for attaching all sorts of gadgets. I think the Jones website links to a picture with a laptop attached to the bars. LOL
Here's mine on my Rover.
042718 Desert Schooner 2.jpg

I have a Jones' H-Bar on my expedition touring bicycle and would like to put one on my XDuro but I think some of the cables if not all are too short (brakes, monitor, controller). Has anyone actually put one on an XDuro and if so did you have to put on new cables.
After a few hundred miles on my Trekking 7.0, I am truly enjoying it with the exception of the straight handlebar.
I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the Jones H bar ?
If so, did you encounter any installation issues ? Cable length issues, etc. ?
Any advice or your recommendation(s) would be greatly appreciated.
thx
b

I have a Jones' H-Bar on my expedition touring bicycle and would like to put one on my XDuro but I think some of the cables if not all are too short (brakes, monitor, controller). Has anyone actually put one on an XDuro and if so did you have to put on new cables?

Just installed the 2.5" rise 710mm set n my SDuro Treking. Not sure what to do with grips and so on but installation was very straightforward, no problem with cables and after one short shake down ride, I think I am going to like them a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,133
At the early stage of my project. It has massively changed/improved since then.

1532834106397.png

My Jones bar at it's current configuration. I am also testing for the first time the Airzound which is very loud and guaranteed to get the attention of pedestrians and cyclists and step aside to give way.

1532833919561.png

Last edited:
Back