IZIP E3 ProTour

Tara D.

I love that it comes with the cafe lock and This bike also is equipped with CAN bus technology.

https://electricbikereview.com/izip/e... The IZIP E3 ProTour is one of the coolest looking, most feature rich high-speed electric bicycles I've tested... the battery is beautifully integrated and the small motor stays almost completely hidden behind the chainring. Pedal assist gets you 28 mph using speed, cadence and torque sensing and you can add a $50 boost button for throttle on demand power, the motor is relatively quiet. Sturdy thru-axles, upgraded 13 gauge spokes, large 180 mm hydraulic disc brakes from Shimano, higher end SLX 10 speed drivetrain, lots of utility extras (fenders, rack, integrated lights, suspension seat post, cafe lock). No shift detection or motor inhibitors on the brake levers means the gears can mash more easily, no bottle cage braze-ons despite a huge empty triangle, some display panel quirks.

This is on my list for next ebike after Dimondback Trace EXC as this has everything built-in will hopefully hear owners reviews of the Protour soon

I'm not sure this bike justifies the price over the i3 dash... They are essentially the same bike except the protour has a more discreet battery...

I'm not sure this bike justifies the price over the i3 dash... They are essentially the same bike except the protour has a more discreet battery...

Protour uses a different motor than the Dash.
Dash (2016) and peak 2015 have the same TranzX motor but the protour is quieter and more zippy.

This is on my list for next ebike after Dimondback Trace EXC as this has everything built-in will hopefully hear owners reviews of the Protour soon
My wife and I just purchased Protour's, so far I have only taken it up and down the street, but it is fast. Love the bike, happy to answer questions and will post more after I have taken it out for a decent ride.

@FredB do you have any follow-up comments yet re: your new pair of Protour's?

@Bill R the 2016 Protour motor is TranzX, Model M25GTS. So...same brand, but a different (newer) model. Court's review and also a PM from him made that model sound like an improvement, which is consistent with @Crazy Lenny Ebikes comments, too.

My wife and I purchased a Protour each and we could not be happier with our bikes. The bikes are sleek, well made and don't scream 'Electric Bike" and very fast it you want it. While I rarely use it, I strongly recommend paying the extra $50 for the boost button. We tend to mainly use the rear brake, it is more than sufficient and I would rather apply too much pressure to the rear than the front wheel.
I have ridden it 7 miles without the electronic assist to get warmed up while riding with my wife and did it find it onerous.
Noise wise it is quiet. It feels a strong and stable bike
A few minor gripes
- fenders are fitted too close to the wheel and they can rub - readily fixed though
- the battery/power key and the cafe lock key should be keyed alike
- The saddle is ok, but I would not call it a touring one
- I would prefer the option to dealer- upgrade the seat post to a Body Float (on order) or Thudbuster
Price wise it is a little more than some, but it does have can us and is Cobi compatible, and a lot, lot less than top-end bikes.
Overall, I highly recommend it

@FredB thanks for the pirep as it's always helpful to see a bike thru another's lens. I'll be riding one next week and look forward to the experience.

iZip's website says nothing I can find about any of their bikes being COBI compatible. COBI's website doesn't mention Currie motors nor iZip bikes altho' it doesn't seem to be kept very current. Was that info perhaps in your owner's manual? Thanks, again!

My partner and I rode the Protour and the Dash (among many other models) at the ebike Expo today. I do not have any reviewer skills, but will say that we both felt the Protour exhibited more quality, was more lively, just in a different league than the Dash. Of course, the question is reliability, but performance-wise the Protour is a sweet ride.

I would sure agree with @wren that the ProTour gives a 'lively' ride, tho' not moreso than some. And another quality I appreciated was that the ProTour had a sense of stability or solidity to it that reminded me of how it feels to ride a Stromer. Not in the same class...but still noteworthy. But the big disappointment, for me at least, was the combo of the 500W motor & the minimal torque sensor that led to much drivetrain gnashing & bashing. I did 2 x ~4 mile rides on the ProTour and found, even with concentration and v-e-r-y light crank motion while shifting, that one up-shift would be feather smooth and the next one a Bang! Not real user friendly, it seemed to me, as opposed to multiple other mid-drive drivetrains I rode that were much easier to manage even after minimal riding. Best of the lot? The Bulls mid-drive that had a Brose (250W) motor along with a humongous battery bank. Very impressive.

image.jpeg
I love that it comes with the cafe lock and This bike also is equipped with CAN bus technology.

https://electricbikereview.com/izip/e... The IZIP E3 ProTour is one of the coolest looking, most feature rich high-speed electric bicycles I've tested... the battery is beautifully integrated and the small motor stays almost completely hidden behind the chainring. Pedal assist gets you 28 mph using speed, cadence and torque sensing and you can add a $50 boost button for throttle on demand power, the motor is relatively quiet. Sturdy thru-axles, upgraded 13 gauge spokes, large 180 mm hydraulic disc brakes from Shimano, higher end SLX 10 speed drivetrain, lots of utility extras (fenders, rack, integrated lights, suspension seat post, cafe lock). No shift detection or motor inhibitors on the brake levers means the gears can mash more easily, no bottle cage braze-ons despite a huge empty triangle, some display panel quirks.
I would sure agree with @wren that the ProTour gives a 'lively' ride, tho' not moreso than some. And another quality I appreciated was that the ProTour had a sense of stability or solidity to it that reminded me of how it feels to ride a Stromer. Not in the same class...but still noteworthy. But the big disappointment, for me at least, was the combo of the 500W motor & the minimal torque sensor that led to much drivetrain gnashing & bashing. I did 2 x ~4 mile rides on the ProTour and found, even with concentration and v-e-r-y light crank motion while shifting, that one up-shift would be feather smooth and the next one a Bang! Not real user friendly, it seemed to me, as opposed to multiple other mid-drive drivetrains I rode that were much easier to manage even after minimal riding. Best of the lot? The Bulls mid-drive that had a Brose (250W) motor along with a humongous battery bank. Very impressive.

Am I a jinxed E-bike owner? 3 miles on new E3 Pro Tour and I got an error code.
No power.
I was able to ride home with this type of failure but definitely harder than a normal bike.
I know IZip will take care of it but this isfrustrating.

View attachment 8883

Am I a jinxed E-bike owner? 3 miles on new E3 Pro Tour and I got an error code.
No power.
I was able to ride home with this type of failure but definitely harder than a normal bike.
I know IZip will take care of it but this isfrustrating.

I had the same issue after 4 days of use (about 25 miles on it). I purchased it brand spanking new and they could not figure out what was going on. I ended up just getting a different brand because there was nothing they could tell me that would make me feel safe with it. Maybe there may be a few bad lemons in the bunch.

I forgot I subscribed to this thread when I first bought the bike and was just alerted of your post. I didn't want to leave you thinking maybe it' something you did to the bike, because that's what I initially thought.

I had the same issue after 4 days of use (about 25 miles on it). I purchased it brand spanking new and they could not figure out what was going on. I ended up just getting a different brand because there was nothing they could tell me that would make me feel safe with it. Maybe there may be a few bad lemons in the bunch.

I forgot I subscribed to this thread when I first bought the bike and was just alerted of your post. I didn't want to leave you thinking maybe it' something you did to the bike, because that's what I initially thought.

Thanks for replying. I got this bicycle as a replacement for a bad 2014 E3Path Plus that I had issues with from the beginning.

What bike did you end up getting?

Thanks for replying. I got this bicycle as a replacement for a bad 2014 E3Path Plus that I had issues with from the beginning.

What bike did you end up getting?

Stromer ST1 with the city kit. Although I miss not having the wheel lock I had on the ProTour, I've had no issues with the Stromer going on 4 months (20 miles a day/5 days a week)

I was able to pick up my E3 Protour after motor and controller replacement.
My previous two e-bike we hub motors. Giant esuede and the 2014 IZip E3 path plus.
It takes some getting used to riding with the hub motor. Court describes it well when he compares it like a hub motor being an automatic transmission and the mid drive as a manual transmission.
If I do not have it in the right gear for the speed or hill there is a bit of hiccuping. By the end of my 20 mile ride today I was getting it down.
Where the assist button are placed on the bike makes it easy to change assist levels. On level ground I just used level one and can maintain 12-15MPH.
I used level 4 when I had to get into car traffic and One big hill in the beginning of my ride.
I like the way it feels. I was able to get a small frame which fit me nicely so that is another plus. I feel like I am controlling the bicycle better than my previous E-bikes.

My motor went out again this week. It was not electronic this time. A grinding in the motor. When I contacted my dealer and Chawn from Accell, the dealer told me they just put out a recall for these motors. He had the new motor in his store the next day.
I picked up the bike and rode it today.
All I can say is WOW what a difference. The shifts between gears is so much smoother. I was easily able to get the bike speed up to 28MPH even when I was not in the lowest gear. It is like getting a new bicycle again it is that much different.
When I turn the bicycle "on" it does not go through a smart-up sequence that it used to. It is just ready to ride.
Hopefully this finally solves the issues.

I just bought this bike with under 300 miles on it, but still, almost 6 years old. I appear to have the first version, with out COBI. Without the suspension fork, or seat. I want to look at maybe hooking up an eggrider to the controller, or perhaps a new controller. BUT, I can not find the info, what controller do I have ? Where is it ? lol... Also, I want to upgrade the forks, anybody help with some info ? THANK YOU

Back