It’s 2025 what does your ebike look like?

I can’t imagine the mess of a group of riders using voice commands switching each other’s gears.
Hmmm. Guess we can offset that by naming our bikes so they only respond to our voices and their names within a certain proximity.

My bike is going to be named Howard.

I think we need a summoning command, too, like Tesla has. Only ours is whistle and a command

"Howard! [loud whistle] Come!"

Yes, that will be grand.

Last edited:
Airborne up to 100feet with 2 x 10feet wide deployment rotors that can fold in front and rear .

Drone rotors will charge from the battery pack.

Drone Ebike price -5k or less.

Possiblity for suborbital flights with higher end models (nuclear fusion engine welded at BB area) .

And as it has been noted before, ejection seat and airbags a must !

Come on is 2025 , Iphone 16 XTRAPLUS has 20cameras and 4 screens. Why wouldn’t an ebike be flying instead....

Lighter, not heavier. ⚖
Lighter comes a greater cost and is not worth it unless you are an Tour de France rider. I laugh at riders arguing about a gram here and there and they are 20 pounds overweight. The motor on an ebike makes a few extra pounds inconsequential. Plus they can design for more strength and longevity.

Hmmm. Guess we can offset that by naming our bikes so they only respond to our voices and their names within a certain proximity.

My bike is going to be named Howard.

I think we need a summoning command, too, like Tesla has. Only ours is whistle and a command

"Howard! [loud whistle] Come!"

Yes, that will be grand.
Whistle, Howard go to the store and pick up some milk!
Nah. I want control of the rear wheel.
you will have a very linear braking control just electric not mechanical.

Where we’re going we don’t need roads...

Re: future predictions
By 2025 all 50 states + DC have adopted the 3-Class model ebike legislation, BPSA/PfB joins League of American Bicyclists in new legislative push for all states to repel contributory negligence and adopt a fairer comparative negligence standard and oblige police to review onboard camera/telemetry evidence in ebike or bicycle/Auto crashes.
All major brands offer an ABS option, some offer steering assist on City ebikes aimed at older riders.
Augmented reality HUD display gps directions on the inside of helmet visors

Why would you want 3-Class ebikes. After all a motorbike is a motorbike doesn't matter if it is 1200cc or 175cc. A car is a car, doesn't matter that it has diesel or gas power, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, it's still a car.
So why have separate classes just for Ebikes.

Why would you want 3-Class ebikes.

It means the states adopting a common standard to regulate access to trails and sidewalks. Currently I break 2 municipal regulations just riding across a bridge side path to get to work, that nonsense needs to stop.

Last edited:
I don't think most ebikes will be radically different in 5 years. Battery and motors will be more efficient. I think we'll see more high end, very lightweight road and gravel bikes with drop bars that are powered by very small, almost undetectable hub and mid drive motors.

I personally wouldn't ever buy an ebike that relies on a cellphone to operate. I enjoy riding many places in the mountains where there is no cellphone coverage. Most functions will work offline I'm sure, but I like to ride with the phone off and in the pannier. I enjoy the ride far more when I'm offline! I'm sure ebike companies will want smartphones to control their bikes, It's much cheaper for them to develope an app to cover all and rely on the end user to spend a grand plus every year or two on a new operating system.

There's more regulation coming, it's already started. I really liked flying under the radar the last five years. Class 2 and 3 will be regulated more. At a recent meeting with lawmakers we were asked if we would object to having a prominent class 1 license sticker to ride the paths and trails.

Prices now, for the most part, are lower. There will always be the super high end bikes, but a $1500 bike today was $2000+ a few years ago. I expect that trend to continue as long as sales increase. There's already some standardization across brands. That will help drive prices down.

The future looks bright☀:cool:

My 2025 bike likely wouldn't be dramatically different, but if we're talking wish list enhancements (whether they're feasible in just 5 years or not) -- I'd like a much lighter ebike (as I currently choose to ride without my motor assist many times, depending on the objective and the weather. Just take my current ebike but drop it to the same weight as my '94 Bianchi, and I'd be oh-so-happy!) I'd like to see the next 5 years bring transformation in the frame and battery industries -- achieve major cost drops in carbon fiber (or other super-light-weight material) production, and in batteries -- plus improved battery tech of course. Also, have those 5 years simultaneously bring about a widespread cultural shift to increase prioritization of exponentially improved and expanded biking infrastructure...

For myself, I don't want or need anything beefier than the current Class 3 specs (my current ebike is Class 3) nor would I like to see anything higher (motor-propelled-speeds) than that introduced onto our current multi-user trail infrastructure here. (ie, anything approaching an 'e motorbike' mentioned earlier -- could be fine for vehicle road use -- but the MUT's here are nowhere near ready for that, nor designed for that, particularly if sustained 30mph-cruising-speed ebikes were adopted on large scale before those magical infra upgrades were (bwahaha!) finished.)

I love the idea of connectivity to my phone (for ride/battery/energy details, but probably not for operation of the bike.) No real interest in voice activation. And regen hasn't held much interest for me at this point; its one thing to capture the energy of a decelerating Tesla or other heavy vehicle; but the net gain doesn't seem significant enough to bother with when you're talking a bike and rider. (Though perhaps if I rode all my trips 100% with assist, I'd become more focused on wanting every possible mile between my charge cycles.)

Then very rapidly you're talking about these "what-if" 2025 updates being for road-only bikes.
"Traffic" on a multi-use trail never flows at 35, and putting a 35mph cruising cyclists on a strip of pavement with pedestrians and leashed dogs and kids on trikes is a recipe for disaster! ;)

Actually 35mph max

Because going slower than traffic flow isn't necessarily safer.

Yeah, I'd like to see the 3 classes disappear, and have one across-the-board 28mph OR 35mph max motor, whether it's provided by pedal assist or throttle.

Either way, e-bikers are supposed to follow posted speed limits. For example, we have multi-use paths that are limited to 20kph. I rarely exceed them, except when passing.

Similarly, there's been a couple of traffic situations without bike lanes where the arbitrary 32kph felt a little slow, given that the street limit is 50kph.

The motor can be told to not rotate so the bike won’t move. The effect is quite powerful. But why not use the front brake. Another thought is it may become like a car and you only have one brake lever. The bike sends braking where the traction is.
But I might only want to use the rear wheel to drag, the front brake doesn't work the same way.
If we're going for an automated bike, it should be pilotless - for your own SAFETY and the SAFETY of others and to save precious fossil fuel energy your battery sucked up and not let you steer a poor path to where it allows you to go to.

Back