Itching to upgrade my ‘20 Vado and Creo, trade or sell?

enforcersu

Given the advancements in the platforms for the Vado and Creo, I’m itching to upgrade. My challenge is I’m not sure how to go about selling my existing models. I realize trading at the dealer likely won’t yield the desired amount in return, but I’m not sure how to sell private party….
Any tips on what you might have done if you’ve upgraded?
Thanks!

the MY22 changes to the creo are really minor, and except for the TCU stuff you could easily do, if you wanted to emulate a higher trim. wheels, tires, seatpost, seat, cranks, pedals, chainring, cassette, bars, stem, brakes, derailleurs... you could change all of it to whatever compatible kit you wanted to!

but if you really want to sell it get a new one, there's a facebook group specifically for selling specialized bikes, there's also two creo groups where they pop up for sale, and of course pro's closet makes it very easy but the value will be lower than a direct person to person sale.

Given the advancements in the platforms for the Vado and Creo, I’m itching to upgrade. My challenge is I’m not sure how to go about selling my existing models. I realize trading at the dealer likely won’t yield the desired amount in return, but I’m not sure how to sell private party….
Thanks!
Private party would be your best price. Particularly now that people looking for a possible bike commuter because of gas as well as upcoming good weather. bicyclebluebook.com will give a range of values for your bikes. They are in San Jose. There are a number of local shops which will give you cash at the low end of the range if you don't want to hassle with private sales.

SRAM eTap AXS 12-speed Creo upgrade kit. Requires XD driver, Specialized PN S192100006.
And a $55 SRAM battery.

Last edited:
The incremental gains from 20 to 22 are minor. As others have stated, you'll probably end up with a better bike by upgrading components on your existing ride, rather than repurchasing what you already have in a 2022 outfit. Of course, if that's what makes you grin, go for it!

Thanks!
I took advantage of the 25% off sale on Creos and bought a carbon comp two weeks ago. Ive been riding a Vado SL 4.0 since last summer and was very happy with it, but just wanted the road bile feel again. The VSL was close, and I could have been happy keeping it but the Creo is better for me at this point.

I had been watching the typical sale places (craigslist, facebook marketplace, and eBay), planning on selling my VSL and wanting to get a feel for how much to expect for it. It was 7 months old with about 1700 miles, perfect condition.

Just for fun, I submitted it to Pro’s Closet, the big online used bike business. I had low expectations as far as price and I only sent two mediocre photos. To my surprise, they replied back with a great offer, cash, trade in at my local store, or trade in credit on their site. Since my LBS transaction was already in progress, I went for the cash offer. To protect Pro Closet’s business model, I don’t think it would be cool to disclose the price I got from them, but it was more than I expected to get selling on my own. eBay has a 13% commission, so even though Vado SL’s seem to get pretty good prices, the commission would have given me less than this EASY transaction. My LBS packed it up for me, Pro’s closet sent a FEDEX label, and within a few days I had the exact amount they offered in my bank.

I had several communications with Pro’s Closet, both by phone and email, and they are very professional. I highly recommend checking with them if you have a bike to sell or are looking for a higher end one to buy that gets checked out by their team.

Last edited:
Looks like a good business. Interesting that they provide the bike weights - presumably based on the actual bikes. Noted a L and XL Levo for sale. The XL actually weighs less because it is delivered tubeless while the L is delivered with tubes. Not sure the value is there for buying as the prices for certified used seem rather high compared to new. Is it because of the limited new bike supply - similar to how used car values have shot way up?

Sent them a couple bikes for quotes myself - mostly just to see. I imagine the cost of packing and shipping a bike to them would be relatively expensive. Too bad I don't live in Colorado.

Proscloset is a good alternative to craigslist and fleabay. I've purchased from them and sold 4 bikes to them; prices were not quite what I was hoping for but the ease, no nonsense, and free shipping to them (you have to get a bike box though) eased the pain. I would definitely give them a try for both buying and selling.

How about shipping the battery?
I presume that shipping would either be by truck or train and would not be a problem necessarily. Flying with lithium batteries is an issue.

How about shipping the battery?
My Vado SL went to Pro’s Closet as per their instructions: battery installed and half charged. The shipping label they supplied was for FedEx. Their FAQS says not to include external batteries. I thought it was interesting that they gave me my quote based on the year, model, and two rather poor photos. They never asked how many miles I had on it or about the battery health (which mine was still at 100% after 1700 miles). I see it on their site now with an asking price of the retail price I paid new. I guess the VSL’s hold their value, and it probably helps that we are in a time of short supply as the new model years slowly become available.

+1 so far with my experience with Pro's Closet. They were quick to respond with quotes as well as to questions I had.

At least in the SF Bay area, they partner with a few LBS. So quotes are highest for Pro Closet credit, 2nd highest for those LBS credit and 3rd is cash. But the big news for me is that I can trade in a bike at an LBS instead of having to box/ship - so probably gonna do it if they have a bike I want in stock.

I'll keep an eye on Calcoaster's bike as well since I do have a 4.0 EQ. It will be interesting to see how long it stays listed. My bike is not in as nice a condition or low mileage as his - but I've already gotten my money's worth out of it. So this could be an option if I need to clear out the garage. Really surprised at the asking price as it appears there are plenty available around SF Bay area that are new listed for $3750. I do think the Pro Closet shop is great for people who don't have a LBS nearby.

Back