Is this a good lock?

Well, I wouldn't use a cafe lock anywhere I was going to be out of eyesight of the bike for more than a minute or two unless you live in a small town where locks aren't necessary anyway. The difference between a motorcycle and a bicycle is that it isn't very easy to lift a motorcycle and throw it in the back of a pickup truck or van and drive off with it.
Yep.

I'm considering a cafe lock, but I'd only consider one that had an optional chain/cable extension (like some Abus and AXA locks)...

E0008914.jpg

FYI to clean up long links like that one. All you have to do is Highlight a word or phrase and the click in the LINK ICON which looks like a Chain
As I have done. Hope that helps if you didn’t know.

Yep.

I'm considering a cafe lock, but I'd only consider one that had an optional chain/cable extension (like some Abus and AXA locks)...

E0008914.jpg

I Love the idea, clean & light. I'm eyeing one also, but it just looks too weak.

Last edited:
Yep.

E0008914.jpg
That is an interesting lock. Is the chain stored separately from the lock or does it hang off the side like that while you are riding?

MTA: Nevermind, I thought the chain was attached to the lock, but it is just behind the lock in the picture.

That is an interesting lock. Is the chain stored separately from the lock or does it hang off the side like that while you are riding?

MTA: Nevermind, I thought the chain was attached to the lock, but it is just behind the lock in the picture.
AXA sells a version that comes with an under-saddle bag that fits the chain as well. I just grabbed a pic from search... here's the thing with a carrying bag.

This is for larger tires. They also have narrower tires, and if you browse their ring lock section, they also have cables as opposed to chains...

ABUS sells similar combos (they official call them "frame locks" as opposed to "ring locks").

The reason these are called cafe locks by most, is that they give you peace of mind if just grabbing a coffee. I would never recommend for overnight security - quick grocery run tops, depending on where you live. :)

Maybe a million $$$ idea could we install a KEY on an electric bike to basically lock the drivetrain and disable the battery linkage. If the person takes it they can't turn the rear wheel
and if they try and ride/pedal the rear wheel doesn't turn.

Yep.

E0008914.jpg
My bike came with an AXA Café lock incorporated in the frame – purchased an additional cable, not the chain addition. I have used the Café lock many times but have yet used the cable – never far away from the bike in public. The lock key is shared with the bike battery, only when the lock is closed can the key be removed to unlock the battery.

51225188301_cc9dc0cdbb_b.jpg

Last edited:
What a crock of BS. Recycled steel is still steel. Any lock can be cut in 30 seconds with the right tool. Hint, that tool can be bought pretty cheaply at Home Depot.
McMaster's cable? It's still a cable, and can still be cut quickly with the right cutter.

The truth is that with ANY lock, you're just buying time these days, the days of cheap power tools and cheap diamond cutoff blades. Some locks will give you more time, but not much. If someone wants your bike, with enough time they'll have it. And don't expect bystanders to do anything.
Not this one 😁

8DF5B7F3-7D47-40E0-B324-9EB1C8A150B5.jpeg
164D7868-7369-49B0-A314-45D53F48403D.jpeg

Maybe a million $$$ idea could we install a KEY on an electric bike to basically lock the drivetrain and disable the battery linkage. If the person takes it they can't turn the rear wheel
and if they try and ride/pedal the rear wheel doesn't turn.
Doesn't solve the "cut the lock and throw it in the back of a pickup" pro thieves. :)
Are those your photos? Did you actually purchase the monster?

If so, kudos!

I'd rather have a second battery than that lock. It would weigh less I'm sure. I find the Abus folding locks strike the right balance between weight and security. I particularly like the one with built in motion sensor alarm. On Bosch equipped bikes, you can get the key code from your dealer on your Bosch battery lock which is made by Abus and then order a lock directly from Abus that uses the same key...a nice convenience.

Apparently SAF stands for safe as fudge.

If you take the guard off the grinder and install a 6 inch cutoff blade I think one or two batteries would do it. Still more work and time than the average bike thief wants.

If you take the guard off the grinder and install a 6 inch cutoff blade I think one or two batteries would do it. Still more work and time than the average bike thief wants.

the Altor SAF lock was brought up earlier in this thread. It's not intended to be carried along with your bike, but left at your condo or work bike rack. At $300 you might want this for a $5000 bike or just as a conversation piece.

You'd still have to lock your wheels and saddle and take your lights, rack bag, and any other bling with you or you could come back to a SAF lock and a bare frame.

As the guy in the video said, a thief could grab 10 or 20 other bikes in the time it takes to cut this lock, so I'd say it's a pretty damn good theft deterrent, but as a practical security solution it fills only a very small niche market.

TT

The best way I have found to lock the wheels, seatpost clamp, saddle, stem and steering tube bolts is Hexlox. It is a magnetic hexangular bolt head plug that used a coded key for removal. Any part can only be remove buy destroying it as the hex wrench does not go into the bolt head with the Hexlox in place. Then you just have to secure the frame. You should always carry a key with you in case of a flat, adjustments and repairs.
As the inserts are magnetic, some hex bolts will need to be replaced by ones with sufficient ferrous content to which the magnet will adhere. Also axles will need replacement, Hexlox carries a good variety for different hub spacing and axle diameters.

www.hexlox.com

The best way I have found to lock the wheels, seatpost clamp, saddle, stem and steering tube bolts is Hexlox. It is a magnetic hexangular bolt head plug that used a coded key for removal. Any part can only be remove buy destroying it as the hex wrench does not go into the bolt head with the Hexlox in place. Then you just have to secure the frame. You should always carry a key with you in case of a flat, adjustments and repairs.
As the inserts are magnetic, some hex bolts will need to be replaced by ones with sufficient ferrous content to which the magnet will adhere. Also axles will need replacement, Hexlox carries a good variety for different hub spacing and axle diameters.

www.hexlox.com

I love this idea, but I have to admit, I'm getting stressed about my all of my security steps being comprised.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.56.33 PM.png

Doesn't solve the "cut the lock and throw it in the back of a pickup" pro thieves. :)

Are those your photos? Did you actually purchase the monster?

If so, kudos!
Yes those are pics of my lock. It's much bigger in person than you may think. It's also a heavy lock but not quite as dense as it's size would imply.

I have an integrated storage rack on my ebike that I'll tow the lock with if I ever have to leave it anywhere. I have never actually used the lock yet because my ebike has been strictly a commuter bike between home and work.

Would recommend this lock to those who want serious peace of mind and a strong back 😁

But even if you steal a bike with a steering lock you will need to drill out the lock or grind off the lock pin. In either case you make the bike less valuable for resale.
They can brake the steering lock on most motorbikes using nothing more than leg power...I wouldn't rely on it. The people who are buying will not care the lock is broken, or that the bike is stolen.... often the thief only wants enough money to get their next fix... They will sell your $8000 bike for peanuts.... Sad but true...

Kryptonite u-lock is an excellent medium-high security bike lock solution.
U locks are for people that only park their bikes in the center of cities over 3 million in population. Totally useless for 100% of the places I lock my bike. I used a steel product carrier @ Rural King store and a power pole at Oreilly's Auto parts yesterday.

Back