Is there any DOT headlight?

Timpo

I commute on my ebike.

I know ebikes are exempt from DOT standards, so we don't really have to follow that, but I absolutely hate scattering beam patterns.

It is really blinding when I see other cyclists on opposite lane in the bike path.
I also feel very bad for blinding other cyclists too. So, I don't think it is doing anyone a favor.

I never aim my light directly at them, but non-DOT ebike headlights have very scattering beam pattern so inevitably I will keep blinding other cyclists.

As you can see, ANY motorcycle or car equipped with HID or LED will ALWAYS comes with beam cut off.

I know ebikes don't have to follow this rule, but I personally feel very bad for blinding people.
Yes, I can aim directly at bottom, but then it would not function very well as a headlight since I can't see very far.

Please do not suggest me to retrofit a car or motorcycle headlights, I'm looking for a bicycle headlight.

Ebike / Bicycle beam pattern (Non-DOT compliant)
ThorFire BL02 CREE XM-L2 LED Bike Headlight (Review) | Outdoor ...

Motorcycle beam pattern (DOT compliant)
2005 - 2006 ZX6R ZX-6R 636 HID BiXenon Projector kit with angel ...

Car beam pattern (DOT compliant)
Projector vs Reflector Headlights: Which is Best?

Last edited:
Just guessing here...
Maybe aiming the beam downward plus some kind of masking the top of the light might make a difference. Maybe some aluminum tape might work?

I usually run my lights pointed down, but forward enough that I can see the road ahead me (roughly 10-12). That being said, living and riding in NYC, depending where Im at, I might point it up, so I can be seen by pedestrians (especially). They will just walk out in to traffic or in-between cars with disregard.

Running two lights flashing (on the bars), a small 20 lumen and 500 lumen. If riding in a dark area with little light, still run the small blinking, run 500 lumen solid and have a third 1000 lumen (helmet mounted) for extra fill.

Last edited:
Have you considered using SAE DOT or EU rated projector lights for your Ebike?

I used Hella projectors on my cars and motorcycles with an excellent beam pattern and cutoff.

1593835461454.png

Last edited:
I adjust my light as I ride. Go for distance in my neighborhood and vacant trail, then tilt down the light when someone approaches. Just like high beam to low beam. Quick, easy, and no cost.

I know ebikes don't have to follow this rule, but I personally feel very bad for blinding people.
Buy STVZO compliant lights then. Plenty of them in the US market, you don't have to be a German :). Lezyne brand comes to mind.

Okay just found out that Biktrix does exactly that...
Armageddon_2000x.jpg
Wow...that’s a heck of a lot of lights!

@Timpo ,

A properly designed light (1000 lumens) can illuminate your riding path quite well.
I would be cautious of any number advertised by some of the Chinese suppliers.

Some lights consume 30+ Watts at high beam and if your battery is not big enough, 2hrs of night riding requires almost 10% of your battery capacity.
STVZO compliant lights have beam cut-off pattern that is very similar to DOT regulations but consume much less power while providing decent luminous intensity.

Chinese provide in description either watts or lumens or both. Use your common sense, 3W unit can't emit 800 lumens. 1W ~70 lumens, better units are more efficient but for a cheap light 70 is close enough.

Sometimes they screw up and post the wattage for a single LED, instead of 6 bigger wattage for a 6-LED unit (for example). Again, use your brains,- wattage too low doesn't make sense.

Okay just found out that Biktrix does exactly that...
Armageddon_2000x.jpg

Another DOT compliant option from Philips.

This one will do what you want, it has a horizon cut off, and is more than bright enough if the runtime is good enough for you.

Its all in the lens technology they put into the lights themselves. Cutoff points for our headlights are necessary to not blind people.

The company Outbound Lighting I got my headlights from made a great point of this...

Road-Edition-Beam-Pattern.png

cutoffline.jpg

Beam-Patterns.jpg

I am still fully geeking over my Outbound Lighting headlight a month later from receiving it and cant recommend it enough, they really did put a lot of technology into their lens and it throws light in a superb fashion, with a great light carpet that illuminates the area around you and the light cutoff so you can actually point the headlight down range instead of down towards the ground to not blind people.

Before I got this I had a Cygolite which was not nearly bright enough for a headlight and I also had to point at the ground to avoid blinding people...bleh! Felt like I was seeing the world through a tunnel when night riding and it wasnt really that safe. Now I am finding reasons to go out at night :p

Back