Is The Law going to ruin this too??

"Does anyone really think the current ebike regulations are going to stand the test of time? "

Yes -- unless ebike riders abuse their current privileges under whatever laws cover them, and then things could get ugly.

In Oregon allows Class 1 ebikes are allowed in bike lanes (with some exceptions in state parks & recreation areas). Class 2 and 3s are prohibited in bike lanes (but not on the street proper). I'm fine with that, and I sure hope it stays that way. What I won't be fine with is a tide of pissed off drivers or non ebike riders who get fed up with what they consider dangerously fast ebikes and push to eliminate ALL ebikes from bike lanes.

Why would drivers get mad a fast ebikes? Most drivers get mad at bikers going to slow in a car lane.

As for non-ebike riders, I am certain the vast majority go much faster than 20 when going downhill so them being mad about someone going past them on an eBike going faster than 20mph up a hill is pure and simple ENVY....they should just stay far right and out of the way so they are safe climbing that hill in 1st gear.

For all those supporting the current assist limit of 20/28mph I again ask this simple question (until this can be answered by someone supporting the current laws I think there is a logic disconnect)....

If the speed limit or the ebike's maximum achievable speed can’t be argued as the basis for the assist limit, what is it’s basis?

I have seen some arguments for pedestrian safety, but that can be addressed by sidewalk speed limits (not assist limits on the bike). My guess is there are far more pedestrians harmed and/or killed by cars then by bikers. I don't think it makes sense to assume that pedestrians are more at risk with faster assist limits if ridden responsibly.

For all those supporting the current assist limit of 20/28mph I again ask this simple question (until this can be answered by someone supporting the current laws I think there is a logic disconnect)....

If the speed limit or the ebike's maximum achievable speed can’t be argued as the basis for the assist limit, what is it’s basis?
If you're looking for a logical reason, I'm not sure there is one.

In North Carolina, the only state whose laws I've taken the time to really familiarize myself with, mopeds have a speed limit of 30 and ebikes a speed limit of 28. 28 and 30 are both close enough to 50 kph, a nice round number, that I kind of think of it that way. So I could ask the question, why did they decide that the speed limit for motorized transportation for which you don't need a driver's license (those being the common factors between mopeds and ebikes in NC) should be 50 kph? Is there some magical feature of that range that makes it safe enough that licensing the driver is not necessary? I have no idea. I've seen no research that supports this, which would be an evidence-based approach. If we had research that noted that there were, say, 50% more injuries requiring medical treatment of causing death at 55 kph versus 50 kph, then you'd have something. Instead, I get the feeling that someone just kind of eyeballed it and said "sounds good to me."

I'm not arguing for or against. I'm saying that these limits are not susceptible to logic. Ken M, if you're looking for logical or, even better, evidence-based reasons, I don't think you'll find them.

Me personally, I don't give a hoot. I like my bike the way it is. It's fast enough for me. I use it how I want to. I'm responsible, courteous, and cautious. I don't attract attention to myself by the way I ride. Some day, that attitude may get me in legal trouble. Until that day, que sera, sera, or chacun a son gout, or carpe diem, or something.

Unfortunately there seems to be a significant % of the population that just doesn't like seeing other people having a good time

Why would drivers get mad a fast ebikes? Most drivers get mad at bikers going to slow in a car lane.

As for non-ebike riders, I am certain the vast majority go much faster than 20 when going downhill so them being mad about someone going past them on an eBike going faster than 20mph up a hill is pure and simple ENVY....they should just stay far right and out of the way so they are safe climbing that hill in 1st gear.

My entire post is about ebikes in bike lanes, and there is a faction here (still small) that wants ebikes banned from them entirely.

45 km/ hr is the speed at which a sudden impact is not surviveable without a LOT more protection than the average ebiker is willing to wear. So if you intend to hit a tree / post / road sign / car door/ brick wall , your thoracic aorta will tear and no amount of first aid will help.

I guess the basis for the esassist limit is allowing you the freedom to be stupid without the legislators feeling guilty about contributing?

You'll notice the eu sets a different standard - I suspect that relates to them looking a lot more carefully at motorcycle accidents . Unlike the us, they have required standards for motorcycle protective clothing , including ratings for the effectiveness of armour and abrasion resistance. I'm not saying they are good standards, but it shows they are starting to think about it.

So, would you rather accept the current laws quietly or shout a bit louder and have the pen pushers take a logical look at what speeds ALL bikes should be restricted to? Mr lycra is going to really hate ebikes when his speed gets limitted to 25 km/ hr.......or if he has to wear leathers, full body armour and a full face motorbike helmet. ( tempting....)

Laws will change over time as familiarity with ebikes grows. :) Our legislators need to hear from us regarding what we think those laws should be.

I'm in Washington State and yes, my Class 3 bike (Just legislated here based on California) is not allowed on a shared path. BUT, I cycle at around 15 mph (posted speed limit) and slow down when coming up on people. I ring my bell when coming up on people on the path and not shy in shouting "on your left". The law here is enforced through a complaint system. On the Burke Gillman trail, there have been issues of people cycling too fast ... on normal road bikes, with one poor mother pushing a pram getting hit. They are looking at better enforcement on this trail which I fully support. But they are looking at folks travelling at excessive speed, not if I have a Class 3 bike.

My bike is my daily commuter, it is a work horse. If I had got a Class 1 20 mph, which I almost did, I would have regretted it. For my wife who occasionally rides with me at weekends for fun, her Class 1 20 mph is just fine. And that is my take. For casual fun at the weekends and evening, get a Class 1 which is so much cheaper than a Class 3 bike. But if you are a commuter, get a Class 3. Or as my father in law said, you can have more than one bike! Get both!

"Does anyone really think the current ebike regulations are going to stand the test of time? "

Yes -- unless ebike riders abuse their current privileges under whatever laws cover them, and then things could get ugly.

In Oregon allows Class 1 ebikes are allowed in bike lanes (with some exceptions in state parks & recreation areas). Class 2 and 3s are prohibited in bike lanes (but not on the street proper). I'm fine with that, and I sure hope it stays that way. What I won't be fine with is a tide of pissed off drivers or non ebike riders who get fed up with what they consider dangerously fast ebikes and push to eliminate ALL ebikes from bike lanes.

Are you sure about that? When I read the current Oregon Revised Statues they say a couple of pertinent things.

1)
ORS 814.405 - an electric assisted bicycle shall be considered a bicycle, rather than a motor vehicle, for purposes of the Oregon Vehicle Code, except when otherwise specifically provided by statute. [1997 c.400 §4]

2)
ORS 801.258 -
“Electric assisted bicycle.” “Electric assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and

(5) Is equipped with an electric motor that:
(a) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts; and
(b) Is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground. [1997 c.400 §2; 1999 c.59 §233]

The only exception I could find in the other various statutes is:

1) A person commits the offense of unsafe operation of a bicycle on a sidewalk if the person does any of the following:
(e) Operates an electric assisted bicycle on a sidewalk .

The key to ORS 801.258 (5) is to read it in the proper context: Is equipped with an electric motor that is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles an hour on level ground.

This refers to the capability of the Motor, not a combination of the motor and human assist via pedal power.

Maybe some cities have additional local statutes?

Are you sure about that? I find no distinctions for electric bikes (Class 1, 2, 3) in the current state law. When I read the current Oregon Revised Statues they say a couple of pertinent things.

1)
ORS 814.405 - an electric assisted bicycle shall be considered a bicycle, rather than a motor vehicle, for purposes of the Oregon Vehicle Code, except when otherwise specifically provided by statute. [1997 c.400 §4]

2)
ORS 801.258 -
“Electric assisted bicycle.” “Electric assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and

(5) Is equipped with an electric motor that:
(a) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts; and
(b) Is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground. [1997 c.400 §2; 1999 c.59 §233]

The only exception I could find in the other various statutes is:

1) A person commits the offense of unsafe operation of a bicycle on a sidewalk if the person does any of the following:
(e) Operates an electric assisted bicycle on a sidewalk .

The key to ORS 801.258 (5) is to read it in the proper context: Is equipped with an electric motor that is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles an hour on level ground.

This refers to the capability of the Motor, not a combination of the motor and human assist via pedal power. So I believe that is your ebike is limited to 20 mph using motor only you are good to operate as any other bicycle under Oregon Statutes with the one odd exception of operating on a sidewalk.

Maybe some cities have additional local statutes?

Back