Is the Bafang motor used on the Crosscurrent line customized for Juiced?

youth

If not anyone have a a source to get a replacement motor? My CCX wheel likely has a clutch problem (acts like a generator powering the lights even when powered down) though it still works & the rim is cracking at the nipples. I've gotten over 8000 hard commuting miles on it so these issues aren't unexpected. Unfortunately Juiced is out of stock till March.

I do have a spare clutch/gear assembly, but with the rim about to go might as well get/build a new wheel.

Just emailed them asking if they have anything compatible. Have you done this swap yourself? Assuming/hoping I don't have to change controllers too.
Be certain to include what the connections are currently used for your motor. It's IMPOSSIBLE for a dealer to know all the details when there are so many bikes out there. does your motor have a 9 pin connector like this?

• Wide Input Voltage Range (27-58V)
Use the motor simulator see see if you'll be happy with the performance. Another but more expensive but really nice motor are their eZee geared motors!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 2.20.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 2.20.07 PM.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
You may want to disconnect your controller, and roll that bike. If you have a shorted MosFET in your controller you can get a similar behavior, and this is a very typical failure.

You may want to disconnect your controller, and roll that bike. If you have a shorted MosFET in your controller you can get a similar behavior, and this is a very typical failure.

I did short the mosfet controlling the light switching shortly after I got the bike, but never noticed the generator behavior till recently. Rolling the wheel both ways powers the light with battery off. I only suspect a bad/locked clutch because at around 5k miles I had been experiencing a crunching sound from the motor this summer & then never again plus the motor seems louder then normal.

Be certain to include what the connections are currently used for your motor. It's IMPOSSIBLE for a dealer to know all the details when there are so many bikes out there. does your motor have a 9 pin connector like this?

I think there is only one style of higo connector used on the Bafang so they should be compatible connectorwise. https://hilleater.ca/bafang-swx02-motor/

Hey youth. You just needing slow down on racking up all those miles. Your making the rest of us look bad!

Well at least your bikes will last longer!

Anyway grin replied with "If you change out all the motor phase, halls, and speedo connector to one that matches what is on your controller. "

So I don't know if the pins layout of Juiced matches with what Grin offers. Assuming the motor just needs a new clutch the best course of action would probably be to try relacing the wheel myself to minimize downtime. The only issue is I've never done that before & good rims are hard to find. The Alexrim DM24 looks promising, but the Alexrim website is just a wordpress template now so are they even in business anymore?

The Alexrim DM24 looks promising, but the Alexrim website is just a wordpress template now so are they even in business anymore?
Yes! Absolutely. They do not sell directly to consumers.

Well just swapped the clutch/gear assembly & for now the headlight isn't being powered while the wheel is spinning with the power off. The center keyed bore is suppose to be able to spin one way, but in the old clutch it was frozen. Special tools needed to do this are a T20 security torx bit & maybe a gear puller.

Also a pic showing my rim needing to be replace soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20200205_000216.jpg
    IMG_20200205_000216.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_20200204_211258.jpg
    IMG_20200204_211258.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 516
The Alexrim DM24 looks promising, but the Alexrim website is just a wordpress template now so are they even in business anymore?

At a 24mm inner width, the DM24 looks to be too wide for the standard tire. Juice's website specs the CCX tire at 28x1.75.

Light Bicycle - Tire Size Compatibility Chart

The Alex DH19 looks to be a better fit for a 1.75" tire at 18mm.

Alex Rims chart at FreeSpoke Calculator by Kstoerz

TreeFortBikes - Alex DH19 Rim 700c 36h

At a 24mm inner width, the DM24 looks to be too wide for the standard tire. Juice's website specs the CCX tire at 28x1.75.
Um, in my experience 1.75 is not a standard tire size. Thanks for the correction regarding that Juice model Actually I'm surprised that they would do that. My experience has shown that more often than not riders tend to want to upsize their tires. The DM19 can run a 2.1-2.3 tires but any loss of air can mean a roll off the rim. DM24 could run a 1.75, and still leave the rider with the possibility of a size upgrade. IMO, and IME, wider tires can be a better ride.

Here's the 2019 Alex catalog. https://alexrims.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-Rims-Catalog-web.pdf
And their web page listing their eBike rims. https://alexrims.com/product-category/e-bike/

Thanks for the share stanmiller!

Luna Cycle says "24mm inner width, 32mm outer width. Can take 1.5" to 3" tires only " in their DM24 listing. 1.5" is 38mm & what I've reading is that things are fine as long as the tire is wider then the rim. I'd like to try a wider rim for strength, ability to run lower pressure, & pinch flat resistance.

The other good rim I've read about is the Ryde Andra 40, but that it $47 shipped from Europe vs $27 for the Alexrim available in the US.

I see now... The Light Bicycle chart is a bit conservative. This one from Wilderness Trail Bikes shows the CCX tire (28x1.75 / 700cx45c) in the optimal range for a 24mm rim.

WTR - Tire & Rim Compatibility Chart

The other good rim I've read about is the Ryde Andra 40, but that it $47 shipped from Europe vs $27 for the Alexrim available in the US.

Where did you find the DM24 from a US vendor?

I did find one at Grin here:

Then there is also the Adventure2, but then you'd have a machined side showing as it is rim brake compatible.

Alex Adventure 2 Rim TRS 700c - 36h

Curiously enough... At lunch I went to check for loose spokes on my bike and one snapped out of the nipple. So... I suppose it will be wheel lacing night. :)

If not anyone have a a source to get a replacement motor? My CCX wheel likely has a clutch problem (acts like a generator powering the lights even when powered down) though it still works & the rim is cracking at the nipples. I've gotten over 8000 hard commuting miles on it so these issues aren't unexpected. Unfortunately Juiced is out of stock till March.

I do have a spare clutch/gear assembly, but with the rim about to go might as well get/build a new wheel.

I found this website...
This is the clutch/gear assembly that they (Motowoks.com) said that is a replacement part for the SWX02 Bafang motor.
(Juiced Bikes CCS motor)

Does it look like the one you replaced?

I used to clean and re-lube smaller 1-way clutches when I worked for Xerox Corp. with turbine oil, and it usually work out provided that there wasn't any thing mechanical broken in them.

I found this website...
This is the clutch/gear assembly that they (Motowoks.com) said that is a replacement part for the SWX02 Bafang motor.
(Juiced Bikes CCS motor)

Does it look like the one you replaced?

I used to clean and re-lube smaller 1-way clutches when I worked for Xerox Corp. with turbine oil, and it usually work out provided that there wasn't any thing mechanical broken in them.

Pretty certain the same style clutch. I think there is only one other type for bafang gear hub motors which looks different enough to not mix up. In my case the clutch internals seem to have broken & started slipping (the gear grind noise) to eventually seizing (acting like a direct drive motor).

Back